1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Downtown Parking More than The Strip?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by salukidean, Sep 16, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. salukidean

salukidean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This past Saturday, I was planning to go downtown to eat some ribs at Binion's, watch some college football, and do a little gambling. When I pulled up to the garage, a request was given for $30 to park. I said I was there to eat and gamble, but was told "they don't care, its still $30".

I used to think the $10-20 for parking on the strip was insane, but they still accomodate gamblers (my diamond card gets me free parking at Caesars property anytime.....even holiday weekends).

However, my group was not going to pay $30 just to park at Binions when we had no opportunity to make it back through credit for dining and gambling expenditures.

When I reached out to Binion's regarding this, there suggestion was to call anytime I'm headed that way and they can tell me if there's a charge for parking.

Sorry, but when a property values a $30 parking fee from someone just looking to use their garage over customers planning to show up with hundreds of dollars to eat to gamble, I'll just take my business somewhere else where it's appreciated.

The value of downtown has weakened over the years but this was a new low point and I'm not sure when I'll go back if this is the way I'm going to be treated.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. nfajgmbr03

nfajgmbr03 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're kinda ahead of yourself to put all of downtown in that basket. That's crazy for Binions but you can just park at the 4q and they will validate it. Same as the D. Also, was there an event going on? Something to consider.

3. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve seen the Golden Nugget charging as much as $50 to park when there’s DT/FSE events going on.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  5. salukidean

salukidean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I didn’t try parking anywhere else as we had our minds set on ribs and weren’t prepared to give Binion’s any money after the way we were treated (went to Ellis Island instead). However, I know the California and Four Queens both had signs stating they were $30 and The Golden Nugget was charging $50. Not sure what any of these places were doing for players (except Binion’s which was doing nothing) but it appeared to be a cash grab by all the downtown properties on Saturday.

6. 3OfDiamonds

3OfDiamonds Waiting For “Very Good” Video Poker @ Rio…

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There was a FSE event (Kenny Wayne Shepard Band) Saturday night, so odds are that is what led to the high parking fees. Granted, it still sucks, but odds are only “invited guests” ($$$$$) get comped parking during events... :(

7. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kenny Wayne Sheppard. That would do it.

8. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

Normally MSS and the Cal validate if you eat at their restaurants. When you pull up to the garage you press the button and a stub comes out. You then take the stub to the club booth with your restaurant receipt and they will validate it. they don't have an attendant so you don't have to pay upfront (unless the day/night is a special event).

As for the $30 signs, yes if there is something going on then they may be charging a big amount for that night. I left this past Saturday morning and I don't remember anything big going on (except Kenny wayne sheppard?)

You should probably have someone go in and ask at the restaurant or player's club booth about validation. No big events going on like NYE or CES so I would think they would validate if you went to their restaurant.

The Cal and MSS have signs stating how much it costs to park in their lot. I don't remember seeing $30 but the sign also says that they validate if you gamble or eat at their restaurants.

9. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Try to park DT/FSE area this weekend with Life is Beautiful and if you think the $30-$50 parking fees are excessive take a look at the ticket prices to get into the venue. :eek:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. salukidean

salukidean High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

There was nothing to validate. You had to pay $30 to get in the garage and there were no tickets (maybe a receipt but the money was collected upfront). I understand there is more demand, but driving away people who can spend hundreds with you to collect $30 from those who want to do nothing but park there is not a good business move. With all the parties they drove away from the property with this action, I'm sure they lost in $25,000+ in one night from a poor business decision.

11. nfajgmbr03

nfajgmbr03 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm pretty sure they did what they needed to. Having a big concert downtown makes sense to charge for parking. A lot of folks are showing up just for that. I'd be willing to bet some places might still validate it afterwards based on gambling. I'm glad we came to the whole story about the situation as it makes more sense. Sorry about your luck on parking though.

12. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with nfajgmbr03. I guess there was a big enough crowd for the concert that the hotels collected parking money in advance. I stayed downtown last week, from Sunday through Friday and at MSS all I had to do was press the button to get my ticket, then get it validated and then I inserted the ticket into the machine and the gate opened up. No collecting money in advance or attendant at the gate entrance.

Actually if you stay at MSS or the Cal all you need to do is to insert your room key into the machine to get in and out of the parking structure. Not sure how they handle the parking for guests during the busy nights but I know MSS has 2 gates to enter the parking structure so they can use one gate for hotel guests.

I think they charge more during concerts because the parking structure would otherwise fill up with concertgoers. People will park at the hotel and put in a little play just to get free parking.

Salukidean, sorry that you happened to go on a busy night but I wonder if the hotel would have refunded your $30 (at the player's card booth) if you ate at their restaurant and showed them your receipt. Sorry but I never was in your situation so I can't say for sure what happens during those nights.

13. AllenAndRossi

AllenAndRossi VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While there's really no way to know, I'm guessing it was more likely a $5000-$6000 windfall for them. This is Binion's we're talking about, not Caesars or Bellagio.

But still, it would be nice if they offered validation based on spend.

They probably did you a favor. The last thing you'd want to deal with is the packed-in, thousands of wall-to-wall people a free Fremont concert you had no knowledge of and no desire to see brings in.

14. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    yes, there had to be some kind of event.
    I wonder what they were charging at the DTG garage.
    I am not sure where you were coming from, strip or off strip or what.
    you mentioned "group". if I were with a group, I would not be bothered with driving / parking at all. if a group (4?) splits the cost of Uber, it is pretty darn cheap even with surge pricing. party, drink, indulge.... no worries.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.