1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

RUMOR - MGM's Newest Cost Cutting Measure - Dirty Rooms!

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by mikel123, Sep 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are not helping Nittany. I am trying to find positives on why it was OK to blow so much money at MGM, when I could have spent the same amount at Aria and enjoyed it more. :poke: (The nighttime room cleaning was my silver lining....don't take it away! )

Then again WHO has asked me a million times why I am trying to stay elsewhere when I have rooms at Aria/Cosmo?

This is a once in a lifetime event...

"You are right Nittany.... I finally learned
    !"

2. sinnerman

sinnerman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah, I was recently chatting with a maid and realized that they are actually not happy when you don't clean your room. I assumed they were assigned a a certain floor or set of rooms and if I don't need my room cleaned, then I am reducing their work. They are actually made to clean a certain number of rooms (tracked by the code they punch into the phone), and if their assigned rooms do not need cleaning, they are assigned new / additional rooms.

Then when it is time to clean your room, they may have to work a bit harder since it presumably takes a little more work to clean a room after 4 days of use rather than 1. But in their 'quota' it still counts as 1 room cleaned.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Glenn357M

Glenn357M High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    but they will double up on the wellness checks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is a hint of truth in every rumor. As a side note - I don't think anyone is "outraged" just yet. Discussion is an important coping mechanism that we need to have to help deal with things as they occur. While this may or may not (Um. Yeah right - sure it won't happen :rolleyes:) I think it's healthy to strategize. If the negativity is really getting to you, as it does to me on occasion, don't partake in the discussion. I find myself scrolling right on by on the daily! :D and sometimes :eek: and too frequently :mad: :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I thought about listing the many rumors that contain no truth and never come to fruition, but I suspect that effort wouldn't persuade you. I do, though, agree that discussion is a good method of coping with things when they occur. But that's my point: nothing has occurred. Its just speculation at this point (other than the very brief mentions of CET, that actually already did something similar, yet there was no outrage or panic requiring a strategy to cope with it). And you even escalated the speculation of one rumor that hasn't occurred (no more housekeeping unless requested) into another invented rumor (that we are a step away from housekeeping fees). I don't see how that kind of rumor mongering is a healthy discussion. But if it makes you feel better to speculate about those things, then you do you. I will spend my time discussing the things I like and the fun aspects of travel, like those brownies the hotels are giving guests at checkin. Mmmmmmmm, brownies

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Rumor - fact - plan. Dunno Don’t care.
    ........I wish to put in my 2 cents on this issue.

Daily cleaning is one of the things I expect from any hotel.
    Pleasantly furnished rooms that are clean and well maintained. A pool (better if they have indoor and outdoor) a gorgeous lobby and grounds with numerous restaurants lounges bars a shops as well as daily entertainment options. A staff that is pleasant and well trained to do their respective jobs.

These mentioned above are the base/ standard/minimum.

I’m paying room rates, resort fees, parking and taxes and now possibly housekeeping. (CNF fees and tickets service charges and convenience fees too.)

A $10 credit per day to opt out? Not enough for me!!!

One of the things I adore about vacations is that I don’t make my bed! I don’t have to pick up my light trash or replace my soggy towel pile with fresh ones. My vanity is cleared and I have that ridiculously satisfying pointy folded corner on my toilet paper. The blinds are reset and the remote is magically found and put back home too.

I’m not a slob. I could live without room service. BUT WHY WOULD I? Why SHOULD I?

Bean counters want to test the waters some more? See what it does for the mind-set of the consumer and perception of brand value over time.

I’m not drinking the kool aid!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Paul K

Paul K VIP

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What is concerning is look at the state of domestic airlines now vs in the 60's and 70's. Domestic first class looks to be equivilent to what coach used to be. Yes. prices are lower when adjusted for inflation, but just imagine staying at a 5 star hotel and this is the only level of hotel where you get daily housekeeping, fresh towels, room service, cable TV. Forget things like frozen snacks at the pool, valets, a mini bar, etc.

• Love Love x 1
  8. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't see this comparison at all. Hotels have always had a large diversity of quality/price points relative to airlines - it's a very competitive industry. High end places like the Waldorf Astoria aren't going to cut housekeeping, or even turndown service.

Airlines were a heavily regulated industry in the 1960s-1970s that had an artificially inflated product quality due to price controls. In a world where people have to pay for their plane tickets, it's not surprising that people opted for a different level of service when that meant prices dropped by 70% - why do i want to pay 10 bucks for someone to serve me a lukewarm microwaved meal on a flight from Vegas to Dallas? And there are some high quality first class products out there still where the demand exists - American's 321T transcon from NYC to LA is better than anything that flew in the 1970s. Mint is also quite nice. And, of course, overseas 1st and business class products are quite good. People also actually PAY for 1st class now, which is a difference from even 20 years ago when most of the cabin was full of upgrades.

Domestic 1st might be a little better if international carriers could compete on US domestic routes, but that's not allowed under US law.

The reality is, though, if consumers really wanted high quality, low density planes...you wouldn't see Spirit, Frontier, and Allegiant doing so well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say that is both not true and not concerning.

The first class of today may cost what coach cost back then adjusted for inflation, so the perks at that price point have gone up. All that has happened is you've gained lower price options.

The seat is a tad more cramped, but there is far more in flight entertainment, far fewer delays, far more comfortable airports to wait in, and the no frills places charging you for every little thing have stripped that out of the price, rather than charging everyone for the people who use those things the most.

10. tee6395

tee6395 Downtown Dreamer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Your attitude and the way that you chose to interpret my post is unfortunate. Have a great day!

• Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Paul K

Paul K VIP

Trips to Las Vegas:

Things getting cheaper doesn't mean they get better. If coach cost what it used to, do you think we would be seeing emotional support horses and people picking their toenails on flights? I suspect the number of those people would be far far less.

I'm happy to pay more for a better experience, as long as it is better.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Literal interpretations can be like that :poke:

But seriously, I hope none of the rumors that are causing you consternation come to fruition. You shouldn't have to strategize to enjoy fully a trip. You should just be allowed to enjoy it without worry :thumbsup:

The plans have changed
  13. ronc

ronc VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't take the rumors too seriously but I do make comments with my opinions about them. Their value...well everyone has an opinion and....

Anyway, we already do have to strategize to get the most out of Vegas for us. The question, as some rumors come true and others fall by the wayside, is how much "work" do we want to put in to go on "vacation"...

My Florida Keys trip is easy to plan. There are no comps and I know what I want--a house with a dock and a pool in Key Colony Beach (and a washer/dryer; my wife wants to be able to wash clothes), a rental boat, a guide (we use the same one each year), etc. Planning for Vegas is different, and I am okay with that, but some of the changes make it more challenging.

We'll see where it goes from here....

• Like Like x 3
  14. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    THIS!! It's an ongoing problem here on VMB, especially lately as people are posting rumors from social media and other sites and reacting as if they have already happened. I wish we could take a breath about these rumors and not immediately go to BURN IT ALL DOWN!!!! levels of intensity.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. HeatherC

HeatherC Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am on a facebook group and there was a girl who worked for housekeeping in Vegas saying this exact same thing. They prefer to clean it daily.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Catzilla

Catzilla VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If the room is clean when I get there, that's all I care about. I do not like people in my room, so no housecleaning to me is just fine. There is nothing I do in a room to cause it to become or feel dirty to me. I might be able to use an extra towel or packet of coffee, but I will gladly forgo that if it means having my privacy.

I've had maids ask if they could come in and punch in their code when I tell them I don't need service. I presumed this was so they would receive credit for cleaning it. Fine with me.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  17. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sonya, did you say that CET is now offering free brownies if you check in before 4:00pm, and if you can eat more than five brownies, your stay is free?

OK, OK, sorry, couldn't resist, I am at work and needed a VMB break!

I'm in the "wait and see what happens" camp, but I can see valid points on both sides/concerns. As my grandfather says, "no point in borrowing trouble" but I also do like having my ear to the ground on possible changes, just so that I am not caught flat-footed if something DOES come to fruition!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  18. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next to the cleanliness of a room, the next most important thing is having housekeeping service every.single.day. I’m on vacation and its a real treat to have the bed made up, linens refreshed, and bathroom cleaned by someone other than myself. I’m a bit of a neatnik in that I clear my personal items off the vanity and put my personal things away, so our room is fairly tidy when we leave the room.

Until I see in writing by MGM that MGM is or is not changing housekeeping procedures I’m not sweating it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see what you're saying and I wasn't trying to suggest that people shouldn't plan their trips. I plan my trips too and actually really enjoy doing that. But I dislike the thought that folks are having to plan their vacays around things that don't exist and may never exist. That doesn't sound like fun at all. For example, planning your Keys trip sounds like a lot of fun. You know exactly what you're looking for and, I am guessing, you search for different pricing options for those things and make your reservations. But in addition to trying to price and select the house, the boat rental, and guide, imagine you also try make a plan for resort fees, boat cleaning fee, guide tip being mandatory, an increase in the price of laundry detergent, and key colony beach access fees. Of course, you can't actually price those items yet, because they are only third hand rumors online that all those fees might become a reality at some unspecified future date. Does that sound like fun vacay planning? If it does, cool. But it sounds awful to me.

That's my point (well, one of them). None of those extra hypothetical fees based on rumors are something fun to think about, let alone plan your next trip around. So why do it? Why get worked up when they aren't a reality and may never be? When its announced, of course, plan away. I will too. Its no longer a rumor at that point. For me, if I am going to spend time dwelling on rumors, I am going to focus on the good and exciting ones, like all those free brownies. Now that @Multifarious5 has confirmed it, I think those brownie rumors are just as credible as the housekeeping rumor. Yay!!! Free brownies! :feedme:

The plans have changed
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. pressitagain

pressitagain VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    All I’m going to say is....another one of these threads....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.