1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cyclists - Bike show and tell - show off your gear!

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Mitkraft, Jul 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This idea came from another thread. I know we have several cyclists on the forums. Show us your rides and feel free to tell us about them. I'm always checking out people's bikes wherever I go so lets see yours! All bicycles welcome: road, mountain, cruiser, tri, lets see them!

I'll start. All of my bikes were frame up builds sourced from second hand parts btw. This is my baby. It was my first serious road bike build after I realized the starter bike I bought used was too big for me and significantly lesser than the drive train I later put on it. It all started when I got a screaming deal on a Dura Ace 7800 group. I then realized a better frame was in order, found a Planet-X carbon frame and built it out. Since then I've also upgraded to a set of 3T Zefiro carbon bars that double as a elbow rests and some Profile Design aero bars.

Before upgrading the handlebars (those were Ritchey ergo bars and that shape really sucks in the hooks):

2018-08-04 21.07.17.jpg

After upgrading to the Carbon 3T bars with the original "Pi-Wing" and swapping in some Ultegra 6700 shifters to take advantage of the 3T bars internal cable routing:

2019-01-06 18.14.07.jpg

After swapping in some Profile Design aero bars in place of the Pi-Wing and wraping the flat section of the bar with hockey tape since it doubles as a forearm/wrist rest. This is me halfway through day 1 of the BP MS150 in April:

2019-04-27 09.47.54.jpg

I'll give other a chance to post first and maybe later show my Gravel/commuter and Mountain bikes.

• Like Like x 4
  2. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Piedra Road Bridge over the Kings River

SGQ%NA67RNiYwd2DaaAbOQ.jpg

• Love Love x 1
  3. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My previous Felt Z3. It broke. :( I moved everything over from this one to the new frame.

DFW1C4e0S3eWH+46qvWgRg.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tuebbis

Tuebbis Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I literally just picked up on cycling a few months ago and I love it! This is my first road bike after owning a hybrid for many years. Cannondale Synapse in Lafayette, OH.

IMG_8222.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  5. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last summer along the Deschutes River in Bend. This was my first Felt, a Z85. It went on the road with me last summer when the Z3 go boom.

IMG954870.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  6. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @ken2v That's a good looking bike! I like the all black with the bar wrap being the only accent. I like the disc brakes also. Given the opportunity my next road bike build will be disks also. I have them on my Mountain (full hydro) as well as my gravel (cable actuated hydro) and they rock! What chainring are you running? It looks solid black like a Rotor or something.

7. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bought two years ago secondhand, it’s a Diamondback Insight, a Hybrid bike. It’s very light and I just use it for exercise on some local “rails to trails” or along the boardwalk at the Shore. I really need to raise the handlebars a bit. I’m looking for a second bike with suspension fork and seat, but I’m in no hurry and too cheap to buy new. I will just wait for a deal to come along, it always does.

11E2AE85-8A00-43FD-B43E-21EC95DAD594.jpeg

• Like Like x 3
  8. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I like matching the tape (and cages on the newest one) to the accents. Felt leaves a number of models "unfinished," just the matte black/charcoal carbon.

Ultegra. 6800 I believe in those first two photos.I just put a 8000 on it when my fitting suggested shorter crank arms.

I'm having a bitch of a time with my hydraulic calipers. Keep blowing pistons on the back. Thankfully Shimano keeps sending replacements. Shimano isn't advertising it but apparently they have a lot of disc failures like this.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My Rocky Mountain Vertex 950 hardtail. He might go bye bye. We just don't ride trails here.

oa4eR3H7QpmvarraIGHtYQ.jpg

• Love Love x 1
  10. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @hammie That's a good looking hybrid. Looks like it could be full on road bike but just with flat bars instead of drops.

Oh yeah, I didn't notice the matching cages...even better! I'm not sure if I've checked out the 8000 cranks, looks like they are more blacked out than the charcoal earlier versions. That's interesting about the hydro calipers failing. I've not used any Shimano road calipers since I have Deore LX on my MTB which are bullet proof but heavyish, and my gravel rig has TRP HY/RD because I didn't want to buy full hydro road levers since they are fairly pricey.

You'll regret getting rid of the MTB as soon as you do. I have too much occasion to want to ride in stuff that's less than well paved and I'd hate to not have my gravel and mountain bikes. Remember, its N+1 not N-1 :D

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife rides a flat-bar Specialized Vita with 105. It's effectively a Ruby Comp carbon. Pretty bike. Pearlescent with gray and pink accents. She never liked drops.

The 8000 is darker than the previous iteration, for sure.

I'm kinda done riding single-track. I should peddle both bikes and get something cool in steel or titanium that I can swap out and run 32s or whatever on for shitty roads.

After this lousy turnout this morning we're moving the morning rides to 6am through the summer:

66385569_2846324488717130_7820328262747291648_o.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  12. Viva Las Vegas

Viva Las Vegas Elvis has left the building

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMG_3502.JPG

Bike for recreation and for errands. Bought from a friend twenty years ago for $50 when he upgraded to a $1,000 bike. Been very happy with it, heavier but I enjoy the exercise. Been a few miles short of the Wisconsin border as my longest trek from Chicago, most rides these days are 20-30 miles max.

Cycling easier here, very little slope to contend with. Would rather stick with hiking out West.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  13. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @Viva Las Vegas nothing wrong with an old school rigid 26er! I tossed mine when I built my 29er thinking it was old and I had no use for it anymore. I really regret doing that because with it or the Chromoly frame would have come in handy later! Plus with those V brakes you can put some decently fat and comfortable tires on those.

• Love Love x 1
  14. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Time for some REAL bike pictures ;) (MTBers love making fun of roadies! :D)
    Giant Advanced Pro 1:
    [​IMG]

The Giant replaced my Niner. I love the Niner, but you know, N + 1,
    [​IMG]
    I took this picture on an urban ride after a rain event when the trails were too wet to ride. That's why Tom Miller Dam's flood gates are open.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  15. johnvic

johnvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The first picture is me on a winter ride with my Bianchi Sempre Veloce. The cassette is 12-25 with a compact chain ring, and I'm debating changing out the groups to easier gears and better Campy quality. The second picture is the day my first Bianchi met my second Bianchi. The first is a steel Veloce ( 11-23 with standard chain ring ). I still have it on the trainer. I love my new carbon fiber bike but I still like steel. Anyway, I need to either buy a new bike with more teeth or change the groupset.

IMG_0315.JPG IMG_0222.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  16. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My best amigo on his then-brand-new All-City Mr. Pink last summer in Bend.

fBKw3uPaRmqz2Bk9JwuAGA.jpg

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    NOTHING in the bike world like Bianchi's Celeste colorway!!! I run 50/34 and 11-speed in back going 11-32. All the top end this fat old dog needs and you can go straight up a sequoia at the other end.

Steel is real.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m really pleased with the Diamondback, it has carbon forks and an aluminum frame. This brand was sold through Dick’s and REI, so these are available in used condition on Craigslist. I recently heard of a problem with spokes breaking on some of the mid range bikes due to poor quality Chinese parts.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2019
  19. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man do they ever! I ride mountain and road and the MTB guys give even their own guys crap when they rode road. Those are some good looking full squish rigs!

@ken2v is it my eyes, some weird perspective thing or is that bike tiny compared to your buddy?

I hear what you guys are saying about needing lower gears. I reached for some non-existent gears on quite a few occasions when riding through some of the hill country recently. Several times I encountered guys who were just spinning away while I was trying to mash my way up a hill. Never walked it though!

20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it is the angle. He's a big dude, no doubt. That's a 61. I'm a flash over 6' tall and it was a stretch for me to pedal that thing. He's 6'3".

• Wow! Wow! x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.