1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Looking for recommendations for a Seattle hotel pre cruise departure

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Flowers, Jun 14, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mother and I will be taking our first cruise this summer, specifically the last full week in August, and it will be to Alaska! We'll be on the Bliss, taking a trip that I had wanted to take last summer but that I had to cancel.

Seattle is our Port of Call and neither of has ever visited the city, but I've heard wonderful things about it so am very much looking forward to exploring. We'll arrive in Seattle around 5 pm on a Friday and will be checking out early Sunday morning to start the cruise.

I'll check Cruise Critic, etc. but I wanted to check with fellow VMBers about your favorite Seattle hotels. Cost isn't irrelevant but I don't want to go crazy either. I DO, however, want to stay in a very nice place, ideally not too far from the port area and with a nice view. It also needs to be good on the service front, which takes on heightened importance given that my 87-year mom will be with me, I'll need to get a handicapped accessible room, etc. My mother will have her walker so that's one reason why proximity to areas where we can walk around and explore Friday night and all day Saturday would be preferred.

I love old hotels so the Fairmont pops up though a lot of folks seem to like the Marriott given its location.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Edited to add: I am so PUMPED that when we fly back to NYC we'll need to stay in a hotel Sunday night before she flies back home from NYC the following day. I just booked a room at the new TWA hotel that is located literally AT Terminal 5 at JFK. If you are into hotels, check it out. It looks amazing and while not cheap, it is not crazy price wise (for NYC). You can also book a room for part of the day. Many of the rooms have floor to ceiling windows where you can see planes take off and land. It will be an amazing way to end our trip. :lock::lock::lock::lock::lock: Yes, I feel so blessed. :love::love::love::love:

• Love Love x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Four Seasons is a classy place in Seattle , And you got style girl.:nworthy::clap:

3. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks x2 Rooster. :) I saw the Four Seasons pop up on reviews and it is hard to find a bad one. I will check it out! I think I've only stayed at a Four Seasons once though dined at them a few times. I have friends that love the service and having their preferences reflected in the FS system worldwide.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have big money, there is the Edgewater next to the dock.

Lots of hotels, just do not do the airport area.

#1 ADVICE - go to cruisecritic.com and find the Alaska boards. You will find so much more information than I can provide here.

Sailed to Alaska from Seattle 3 times, and into Seattle on one other trip.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just last month we did this. Were headed out on the Bliss. Anyway, we stayed at Hotel 5 Staypineapple. It was a cute place, had a free little continental breakfast, we walked to the market, Denny Park, and the surrounding area. They also had a free shuttle to the pier. I believe I paid $217. for the Saturday night.

Have a great time:)

• Like Like x 1
  6. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Inn at the Market
    The Edgewater Hotel
    Hotel Andra

7. jdk

jdk Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fairmont is fantastic as well

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love all of these suggestions and thanks for your good wishes! I will share what I decide to do! Never viewed myself as a cruise person but Alaska has been on my bucket list so it's a great way to do my first cruise. I'm very excited about this trip as it is so different from anything I've done before.

• Love Love x 1
  9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also at Hotel Andra, staying or not: Do a hands-on cooking session at Tom Douglas' Hot Stove Society. We did one with Terri parents about this time last year. A real blast.

https://www.hotstovesociety.com/classes/

10. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. Looking at the page with the cooking classes made me hungry. What a neat idea and such a great variety.

11. Kdiamond

Kdiamond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We did this cruise 3 years ago and stayed at the Marriott literally across the street. It’s beautiful and convenient. We’re going again in July (also the Bliss) and are doing Marriott again pre cruise and then the StayPineapple on the tail end, as we’re staying an extra 2 days after to be able to explore Seattle a little more. You cant go wrong with either. Have a great cruise! I’m excited to see this ship, the ship we were on before was nice but old! This is the largest and newest ship to go through Alaska.

12. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seattle ... AMAZING food town.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like a wonderful trip planned. Can't wait to hear about your experience with The Bliss. I hope you have a wonderful trip!

14. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at the Hyatt at Olive 8 before our Alaska cruise last year. The hotel was pretty decent with a good bar downstairs.. I thought hotel rates in Seattle for our one night stay on that particular date last year were ridiculous. I shopped and shopped and shopped, and changed my reservation a few times. Ultimately settled on the Hyatt.

I was very very close to pulling the trigger on one of the Stay Pineapple hotels. Very tempting! If I’d do it again I’d probably spring for it.

PM me if you want tips on the Alaska cruise and recommendations for some of the ports. It was the best cruise we have ever taken. Loved it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Ten_On_The_End

Ten_On_The_End VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we went to Alaska on Norwegian we stayed at the Marriott across the street from the dock. No shuttle needed, you just walk to the ship. The only drawback I found was there's no breakfast places nearby you can walk to.

16. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spicole,

Will do and I hear you re: the rates. Just a cursory search yesterday gave me a sense of the rates, which seem like typical big city rates, so I'm resigned to paying. While I don't want to spend unnecessarily I am a tad more on the splurge side for the two nights and being comfortable. My mom is a major traveler but the flying all day, being 87, etc. just has me more focused on a nice environment. I mean, she is kinda spoiled -- and I say this is a loving way -- because her typical hotel experience when she travels with me is 10 days in an Encore Tower Suite . . . . And not to be morbid, but every trip I have with my mom now seems like a trip on borrowed time. We'll likely never be together in Seattle again though I do hope other cruises and trips are in our future. Okay, digressing a bit but . .

Thank you for the additional suggestion. I actually never heard of Stay Pineapple. It sounds like a regional version of some of the national chains, Will check it out and will PM you re: tips. My mother is likely to stay on the ship when we are in port unless except for one where you can shop some place but I definitely want to get out and do as much as I can while in port.

17. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. I get why the Marriott is so popular. The no breakfast place is a bummer but I guess we could pick a nice place elsewhere, though by cab, if we went the Marriott route. Thanks.

18. Pea

Pea Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We stayed at Edgewater. Fabulous hotel, right near the port.

However I think you may be better off staying somewhere closer to the heart of the city depending on what you want to see so you can go back & forth to hotel more easily, rather than nearer the port where you only have to go once. Have a wonderful trip and cruise!

19. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, I get it. I need to pull out a map but what you are describing I'm processing in terms of hotel location, i.e., do I want to be near/at the port or a nice place more in the middle of things for purposes of exploring? If it is marginally easier then because of my mom I think I'm going to err on being in the middle of things and then just getting a cab the morning of the cruise. If I were on my own I'd probably splurge on the Edgewater (checked it out last night) for the beauty, view, etc. and I'd just walk everywhere I wanted to visit.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would choose your hotel based on how much you plan to explore and what you want to explore since all will be convenient to the terminal using Uber/Lyft or a taxi. If you are down on the waterfront there are plenty of things to see and do, many "touristy," but climbing up to the other sights might be tough on your mom. And from Westlake Center you can take the monorail to the Needle/Seattle Center and the trolley and light rail all over.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.