1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Pro Sports Gambler from LV on Jeopardy

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Bonzai, Apr 5, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Smith

Michael Smith VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    James played impeccably, but it was the first time he had gone against two players of quality. In previous games he had the luxury of going against at least one totally inferior player. And, his inability to find either of the daily doubles in the second round contributed to his demise. If he gets one of those, he wins. Just poor luck.

Still, he's likely the best player ever to grace the Jeopardy stage. Only Ken Jennings can compete and I think Ken will have his hands full when they meet at some point in the future. Just hope Alex is around to moderate such a gargantuan match. Maybe add Buzzy or one of the other recent champions to the mix. I would bet on James, even with juice.

Final Four/Santa Anita Derby
    • Like Like x 1
  2. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree that Holzhauer is likely the strongest player ever, despite ultimately falling far short of Jennings' win streak. He is slightly to moderately ahead of Jennings in the majority of advanced metrics.

I feel like the holy grail would be Holzhauer vs Jennings vs Rutter (he was capped at 5 wins by the old rules, but is the all time money leader when factoring in tournament play and has never lost to a human oppenent; he and Jennings both lost to IBM Watson in an exhibition match).

3. rooster42000

rooster42000 Goat of all Goats , My Hero

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She is ok nothing near James , we will see if the fix was on ????She bet 0 on Final Jeopardy:woohoo:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  4. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For those who care, there's a good write-up on Alex and his situation in this week's People.

5. rooster42000

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. Vegas Insight

Vegas Insight MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    While any one tourney likely will not settle the debate, I'm most intrigued to see how Jennings and Rutter will do against Holzhauer. Jennings ran off 74, and we'll never know what Rutter would have done had he not been retired after five wins, but given that Rutter wins every showdown with Ken that doesn't include a computer, I consider Rutter to be the reigning king of Jeopardy. Jennings is far better known, naturally, but he's clearly no. 2. And those two are still in a class by themselves. Holzhauer makes it a trio.

Holzhauer was mighty impressive, and may well be the best we've ever seen, but to be the man, you've got to beat the man. Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

While our whole world is one big conspiracy, I don't buy into the idea that there's any sort of conspiracy behind the outcome of Monday's game. Too much money at stake for Sony to be running afoul of federal law.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Holzhauer would be a solid chalk against Jennings I would happily lay the number

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    James, Ken, and Brad all would know 99% of the answers (or question :)). It would come down to clicker speed and luck of Daily Double

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Record viewership numbers when it was reported James would lose.

Upcoming question.

"They leaked the information that James Holzhauer lost on the 6/3/19 episode of Jeopardy!"

The correct question would, of course, be "Who are the producers of Jeopardy!"?

10. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would make the bet expecting Jennings to know more of the answers.
    Jennings time was years ago..he is not going to get faster with age.
    Holzhauer is faster, and would be superior in betting and in-game situational analysis..I would lay up to -250

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kind of a semi-clock-cleaning today. She took off very strong but choked a few times. :(

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. rooster42000

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    She made a HORRIBLE Daily Double wager yesterday, an $800 clue for the DD (therefore the question is easier), she bets only $3k when something like $5k would nearly assure a "lock game" for a correct answer, but it ended up not being one thanks to that terrible wager. But she fortunately knew Final Jeopardy!

Today was a pretty good game. And also shows I think they nearly gave her "dream game" vs. James, which coincidentally was some of his weakest areas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Big Tip

Big Tip VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    James was also uncharacteristically slow on the buzzer in his last game.

15. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think emma was pretty fast though. I believe they also changed the rules during his run to let challengers practice the buzzer. I swear I read that somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.