1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Weirdest tipping prompt you’ve ever seen/witnessed?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by notfromconcentrate, Apr 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not another tipping thread!

As tipping culture continues to spiral out of control, by the opinions of most, we’re starting to see prompts for tips in more and more places.

For example, one time when I was checking in for a daybed at the Flamingo pool, there was a prompt on the room charge authorization slip to give a tip to the desk staff, who are literally doing nothing but checking IDs and assigning daybeds/cabanas.

Then another time, I had to buy a battery pack at Silverton because my phone was almost out of juice. Paid with a credit card... there was a “gratuity” line right above where my signature was supposed to go!

Apparently even flight attendants are supposed to be tipped now, though I’ve heard different airlines have different rules.

What are some other ridiculous/weird prompts for tipping you’ve seen lately?

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Laugh

Laugh VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tipping threads always start with "Not another tipping thread!"
    It's customary lol. Want a tip? :D

I know it's not in Vegas, but the bowling alley. All you did was take my money and give me a lane in the span of one minute. Why am I tipping you? Lol.

3. taaff

taaff Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I went into a flower shop to buy a bouquet for my wife. The credit card slip had a tip line on it. All they did was hand me the flowers in their own shop.

4. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Atlantis in the Bahamas: I took the soda out of the cooler walked to the counter and the clerk gets a mandatory tip.

I know it’s not asking fir a tip but it’s worse.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Kdiamond

Kdiamond Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have noticed lately when I go to my hair dresser and my lash girl (2 separate people in different salons) their credit card swiper prompts with buttons to press that say 15% ok service 20% good service 25% great service and 30% superb service! I have always tipped well and understand how hard they work but I feel like the captions are kinda crazy now! Like if you’re giving under 30 you look bad LOL

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Whenever I'm in Miami--specifically Miami, and nowhere else--I seem to notice auto-tips added in. One time, at a buffet (I SERVED MY DAMN SELF) they added in 25%. As a matter of principal, I left the amount of the buffet, the tax, and 20%. I also left a note explaining that I found their approach unconscionable. Even if they had served me--which again, they didn't--I still think auto-tipping themselves more than 20% is ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One guy I know whose family is particularly well-off went to university in Miami, and he told me that it took him two years of going out regularly to even notice the added gratuity every place added... and he was even tipping on top of that amount too :) So I guess they're hoping for that kind of mentality in tourists to exploit.

Nonetheless, you're right... Miami is one place where it's exceptionally out of control.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tipping norms have never made any sense to begin with. If I get great, attentive service at an Applebee's, my server gets a $10 tip (20% of a $50 tab). At a fine dining joint, it's 3 or 4 times that. Why? Was the service more pleasant or attentive? No. Did the server work harder to make me happy? No. Was there more skill involved? Possibly, if I asked for a bunch of recommendations, but generally no. None of it makes any sense if you really think about it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The liquor store has a line on the keypad for a tip. They do nothing but scan the items.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I consider myself to be a good tipper, but I don't think I've ever tipped a FA. I assume this is for paid alcoholic drinks, which I seldom do when flying.

However, this reminds me of decades ago, still in high school, the first cross-country solo trip I remember, flying back from San Francisco, 1970 I think. They dropped me off and there was a big "United Check In" sign by a skycap at a podium. I did not remember seeing curbside check-in before so I walked up, handed him my bag, he gave me the boarding pass and then said "Uh, you can settle up with me now" or words to that effect. WTF???? I did get that he was expecting a tip, so I tipped him a buck. I always thought of myself as very savvy and streetwise, but this was new to me.

Every time I see the Seinfeld rerun ("JFK, JFK, JFK, Honolulu!") I think of this.

11. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had a VERY similar experience a few years ago, taking a Delta flight out of Miami. Checked a bag curbside, and was about to gather my items to get into the airport, and the man who was serving me got my attention to say "By the way sir, tips are appreciated".

Uhhh...

I managed to wrangle out of that one because all I had on me was $20 notes, and he didn't have change to swap. But man, I've never been asked that obnoxiously for a tip before. So it's funny that happened to you too in almost the exact same situation, even if it was 46 years before that happened :)

12. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another one... it's actually very common now for entertainers at strip clubs to ask you for a tip on top of whatever you paid them for dances.

Say it's $20 per song (which is customary)... I get two songs, I hand her $40, and right after that I've had multiple dancers ask me "could I also get a tip?". Even had one go as far as to whine about the house's cut... saying "They take $7 per dance, so I only make $13 per dance, but I keep the tips".

I've tipped them a few times out of guilt/pressure. But I think it's pretty obscene.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  13. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would tip more at the grocery self-checkout if the dude would bag better! :faint:

RICHARD

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Love Love x 1
  14. Syringe Monkey

Syringe Monkey Hero of the Baggage Carousel...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next time, tell them they can have just the tip...to see how it feels.

• Funny Funny x 5
  15. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If that goes any further she might feel like she's been shafted!

• Funny Funny x 7
  16. MCann

MCann I can't complain, but sometimes I still do...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Every counter-service fast food joint in the Forum food court (and actually I cant think of an exception of any receipt at any CET property that doesnt have a gratuity line, including the convenience stores in palace shops and by check-in where they want a tip for what, ringing up a $5.99 6oz juice box of milk?!?) has a gratuity section on the receipt. They literally don't even pour your first drink. You're picking up your food at the counter, filling your own fountain beverage, and bussing your own table / trash, but they suggest an 18% gratuity at smash burger (and everywhere else). Seems pretty far-fetched to me. And yet I usually tip anyway

Most obnoxiously I've ever been 'asked' was just a few weeks ago by valet at Rio. Don't wanna sound like 'that guy' but I was leaving a Ferrari 458, and I generally expect with a car like that, they're going to put it somewhere they can keep an eye on it, and that I'm going to leave a generous tip when I get it back. So dude asks if I'm checking in and if I have any plans for the night. No Im already checked in and Im just back from a 9 straight hours of speeding all over th mointains. Will I be going back out later this evening? No we're probably in for the evening but I dunno I might hit a drive thru later or something. So should we put it somewhere close so we can keep an eye on it and get it quick if you want it? Well yah, you really should. "Ok well we work on gratuity, so I mean whatever you want just let us know (sticks hands out)"

I'm still grabbing my radar detector and cell phones, chargers, cameras and stuff out the car, literally have power cords hanging off my neck, bag in one hand and like 4 devices in the other, fully intending to give him some cash but dont have a free hand at the moment. Just getting the last couple things thrown in my bag as quickly as possible, and dude who has been standing there with his hands out gives me the asthma attack "Psssh whatever" and turns around and runs off with the key, leaving my claim ticket on the roof.

The whole thing was just weird to me. Offers great service, aggressively attentive as I'm opening the door, then kinda demands extra money for great service (fair enough, kinda) then as Im furiously trying to get situated so I can get a free hand to bribe him, he takes off having a hissy fit.

Now I might have had cash at the ready in a normal valet situation, but at Rio you just park in a valet lane, and there was already a huge line of parked cars in front of me, then they come get it later. Sometimes you gotta drop your keys off at the valet desk when it's like this, so I wasn't ready for dude to literally run up to me and expect somewhat immediate cash like that. So I guess they parked it pretty far away; joke's on them, I was in fact in for the night. I don't know what to make of it all, but it was the most aggressively obnoxious I've ever been asked for a tip, and my words here dont do justice, because a lot of it was his body language.

The second most aggressive is when I accidentally used a skycap at DCA (they're situated oddly at that airport, or were at the time, such that it was not obvious they were not the regular check in counter) same as you two, and just like one of you, I gave him a buck or two because that was the only < $20 cash I had on me, and was he pissed, even though I apologized and explained it to him, and he literally did nothing but wrap a tag on it and hand it to someone else. Even told me I was supposed to give him more as I walked away.

17. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lash girl?

• Funny Funny x 4
  18. Roccoscollar

Roccoscollar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Curb side check in is tip worthy. No debate on that.

Miami, yes, a little tip happy. They have nothing on Orlando. Complete sh#tfest on tipping. If I could punch that mouse in the mouth i would.

Vegas just fees you to death on the strip. #fthestrip

No opinion either way but Flight Attendants on Southwest won't accept tips. I've tried multiple times as they have been generous with me on not charging for my alcohol or not taking my ticket.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let me enlighten you dear Breeze what you are missing out on
    There’s the:
    Lash girl
    Eyebrow girl
    Manicure girl
    Artificial nail girl
    Pedicure girl
    Waxing girl
    Bikini waxing girl
    Shampoo girl
    Stylist girl
    Makeup girl
    Reception girl
    And more...

I haven’t seen a nose hair girl though...:haha:

• Wow! x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Love x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
  20. alexm

alexm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just thought I would throw this out there with regard to strange places having tip line on a cc charge. Depending on the machine some of them default to having the tip line print regardless. At our doctor's office our new machine printed with a gratuity line lol and the 15% 18% and 20% rates. I actually had to go in and change the settings. I would think the local liquor shop and the sundries stores are probably not taking the time to figure out how to stop that from printing on the receipt

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.