1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

What is pizza like in your town & do you enjoy that style?

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by bdautch, Mar 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DDB

DDB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 for Aurelios.

2. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yea I'm sure the majority of pizza lovers outside of NJ/NY would disagree, myself included. Pizza elitism at its finest!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. steveks225

steveks225 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The St. Louis style pizza is thin crust, almost like a matzo, and topped with a cheese called provel, not to be confused with provolone. The leading purveyor of this inferior item is a local chain, Imo’s (Ee-mos), and thankfully there are plenty of decent alternatives to choose from, unless I choose to make the 90 mile drive to Columbia Missouri’s local favorite, Shakespeare’s, which has the best slogan for pizza restaurants-“Have you had a piece, today?”

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  4. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I have gotten older and eaten more than enough pizza, I think I have become a pizza purist. The only thing I want on my pizza is sausage and cheese, maybe some mushrooms. It must be thin crust and the crust must have flavor. I do not want a cardboard, flavorless crust. I have never been a fan of franchise pizza and have found a little joint that used to only sale polish sausages and burgers. But last summer they opened a pizza joint next door to them. They have become favorite go-to pizza joint. The pizza has the right amount of sausage and cheese and the crust is thin and tasty. I can get a huge slice and a can of soda for $5. On Sunday, you can get the same deal and 50% off a second order.

5. SMG

SMG VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know of a good place in the River North area, but here are a few place that I like...

Vito & Nick Pizzeria
    They're the farthest from River North, about 4 miles south of Midway airport. They're family owned and have been in business since way before I was even born and I'm 62. LOL If they were closer to my home, I would go there more often, but it's bit out of my way.

Pat's Pizzeria
    Another family own business that's been around since I was a little kid. It's north of downtown in the Lakeview area. It was a favorite of my parents and we use to go there often. They moved to a new location, but their pizzas are still great. I still go there a few times each year.

Pizano's Pizza & Pasta
    They're located downtown, but I've only been there a couple of times. Their pizzas are pretty good. As I recall, the owner is the son of the original Pizzeria Uno owner, but Pizano's is more well known for their thin crust pizza.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It sucks. German town in Texas. We do German and Mexican. Also lots of hoity toity restaurants the uppity crowd eat at.

On a good note Little Caesar’s closes recently. It leaves us with the Hut, Dominos, Mr. Gatti’s, and 2 family owned that are better but really pricey but they can be hit or miss.

What we don’t have in Pizza we make up for in TexMex.

7. epWick

epWick Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Small Italian community with homemade itaIian sausage and thin cracker crust pizza. They make a dry dough that is run through a sheeter, then the toppings added raw. When the pizza cooks, little pools of grease form on top of the cheese, then cut into little squares. Someone from out of town asked why they cut the pizza up to feed kindergartners?

8. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    More important, do you fold your slice of pizza?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only Chicago-style.

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. slusher

slusher Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My town has nothing but chains so mostly I make pizza at home. I have a breadmaker that makes dough which makes it easy.

When we go to Caesars Windsor we get windsor style pizza, usually Antoninos, because of their unique shredded pepperoni style. Then they add cheese on top. One of the locations has an italian bakery next door, so, canolis to go with that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TrewBrew

TrewBrew I may be right, I may be Crazy.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wisconsin Style is a craker style crust and the wisconsin toppings are supposed to be Itailian sausage, mushrooms and onions. Plus we even have a way of cutting it which is in squares.

I like our style of crust and the best piece of the pizza is the small "Corner" piece you get from cutting the round pizza into square pieced.

12. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, yes, thank you, yes.

Small neighborhood pizza joints are the best!

13. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I hate papa murphy's, it defeats the whole purpose of getting real pizza, which is that your oven at home can't cook it like a real pizza oven can.

I'd rather have Domino's.

14. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't eat steak at home. No one can get a fire to 1100F.

15. pjbear05

pjbear05 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For all you pizza freaks I definitely recommend the pizzamking.com site. All things pizza. A great place for advice and ideas, especially if you want to try making pizza at home. Good resource.

16. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never had a Domino's, Papa Murphy's etc. We did get free Pizza Hut when we had to work late/overtime at work. I would never pay for it.

In every city we have lived in, we have always found a local, mom/pop operation that has the best pizza. Our current fav is Marico's in West Bend, Wi. The thinnest crust you can imagine with cheese, pepperoni, mushrooms, olives, onions and anchovies. Oh man, it's lunch time and I am now craving pizza.

17. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My brother taught me how to make it on a gas grill. I roll it out thin and throw it on a hot grill, indirect heat, to par-bake the crust. Then I put a hot cast iron pizza pan on the gril, indirect heat again, and place the pizza on top, close the lid. I have a place nearby that sells high gluten flour; bro would go to Sam’s Club and buy a 25 lb bag. We like our pizza, plus a decent plain pie is $13 and the Grandma pie is $20. I can make a ton of pizza for $20.

• Like Like x 1
  18. oghuman

oghuman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What does that mean, deep dish?

19. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was answering breeze's question.

20. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have four pizza places in our little burb where we order pizza. I have opinions on all of them. :)

There is an Italian restaurant that makes a pretty good Pizza Napoletana. But when I think of pizza, that is not what I typically imagine.

There is a fancy place in downtown proper that has thin crust woodfired pizza with toppings like fiddleheads, oysters, mustard greens and goat cheese. I'm not a fan.

There is a local bar kind of place with soups, salads and pizza. They used to be my favorite. But they changed their crust in the last year and I'm out. It's too thin and crumbly and lacks any taste. It's like the Carr's Water Crackers of pizza crust.

There is another local chain here that is my preference. They will even deliver, which is rare around here. :) The crust is flavorful and not overly thick and the toppings are normal food that you would actually want to eat. My favorite is their signature combo - Pepperoni, Sausage, Mushrooms, Olives, Onions, Green Peppers.

And..now I'm hungry for pizza. :drooling:

My favorite local pizza is Seabeck Pizza, but I have to drive at least 35 minutes to get it, so I almost never do. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.