1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Building a new home in Vegas

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by h0llywood, Aug 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spock

Spock Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think Joe could not pay in full. The 6 month expiry period ate up the rest of the points for the last payment. :eek::bang:

2. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Update:

House is going into the 2nd month of construction. Our agent sent a photo 2 weeks ago and there was only foundation. One week later, we have the first floor somewhat in place. We expect once we arrive on December 21st that the entire 3rd floor will be done. Hopefully the house does finish in the April/May time frame.

The community is also coming along with most of the sold lots already coming into shape. We met a neighbor on our last trip there and met another one online so hope to get some solid relationships with them. We also upgraded our closets and are working with our pool guy!

We were surprised how tall the house behind us was (3 stories high) and were concerned about privacy so we are looking to getting some really tall privacy plants.

If you have any suggestions for privacy plants, preferably really tall but not requiring much watering for the desert, please let me know.

20181123_133448.jpg 20181123_133530.jpg 20181124_094408.jpg ALVAREZ JOHN_006.jpg
    20181123_133353.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow! That is really going to loom over you and your pool.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can't tell for sure but it doesn't look like there will be windows except for some small ones at the top. I don't think there is privacy issue.

TomTWI

5. DDB

DDB Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I like the closet - looks spend though.

6. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My paranoia. Don't really know for sure what the neighbor's house will look like to our east and west as well.

7. tominiowa

tominiowa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bamboo grows really tall. Easily will grow 12' tall. Caution they spread and grow fast when established. They spread by roots and
    take time to thin and stop from growing where you prefer they don't go. I have them and do provide privacy behind the pool and nice afternoon shade

• Like Like x 1
  8. tominiowa

tominiowa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have a few suggestions since you are adding a pool. First I love our attached spa that waterfalls into the pool. I have the valves so you can set it to
    recirculate for the pool or just the spa. Which leads me to number 2. A heater!!!!!! My heater in the winter time will get the spa up to 100 in about
    30 minutes. We use the spa several times a week in the winter. The heater is a must even if you do not desire a spa. We like our pool temp at 84 to be
    comfortable. Our pool only gets direct sun 2 hours a day. Morning sun gets shade from house and afternoon shade comes from our wall and bamboos.
    we run our heater often to get the pool to desired temp. Even in the summer the pool temp may only be 79-82. That extra 2 degrees cost little to get and
    makes it nicer for my wife. Also make sure the pool is plumbed to use a floor pool cleaner. I have a pebble pool at my house and like the looks. I have had
    rental houses with just concrete pool which are fine but look plain. Also if you have the top part of the pool lined with ceramic tile be prepared to spend
    time with a pumas stone to keep clean. But I find time once a year to shine them up. What else am I doing while in the pool. I hire a pool guy to clean and
    maintain the chlorine. I have a vacation home so need this since I am gone lots. Pool guys are cheap. $100/month will hire many. That is a once a week
    service. Beware their are great pool guys and many poor pool guys. Ask the neighbors and get recommendations. Seems many are raising prices to
    $120/month. But that is all chemicals included. Hope this helps some.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. In a little over 2 weeks, our house went from 1 story to 3! Glad that they are moving right along!
    Screenshot_20181209-153757_Instagram.jpg

10. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    13D9DBAA-55D3-4ED5-913D-81534595967E.jpeg It’s coming along. House should be done in a little under 3 months. Super excited and stressed is an understatement.

• Like Like x 3
  11. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Relax, what could go wrong:D

TomTWI

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Flowers

Flowers VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This has been very interesting and informative to be a part of your journey. Thanks for sharing and wishing you and your family the best as your home build comes to completion and you make the transition!

• Love Love x 1
  13. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s been stressful having to keep up with the updates and schedules from another state. I know things will end up alright but fretting is what keeps me looking young with grey hair.

I’m playing that timing game given there’s a +/- variance of 2-3 months of delays which screw up things as I have to be out of my home by June 1st.

Also I’ve had to incorporate my business in Nevada which has been even more of a challenge given NV has more hurdles with their licensing requirements. In addition, I’ve had to do 2 different backgrounds for 2 different agencies and have to travel back and forth for in person meetings.

I know in the end it will be worth it and is a teachable experience.

• Like Like x 1
  14. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    00DDFC79-DB05-4329-BFD2-CB0F08191DB9.jpeg A76F69BB-1AA5-4D35-A903-EE7CA5A1AEF9.jpeg 377EF8F4-AB6F-4F0E-BD7E-3DB2082862E4.jpeg 0CFC1434-6B05-4646-8904-5E7C54930812.jpeg Just got back today and the house is reaching the finish line. We were given a close date of May 7 which is perfect because it works with our schedule for our daughters schools.

One surprise cost was when we went to finalize the pool details, cost for a wall for landscaping will cost 2k+ and the wall to go along the side of the house to cover the filter, pump and heater is another 2k+ in addition to the cost we have to pay to repair the damage to the upgraded landscaping we paid for when the bobcats come through to dig. Overall, this is an added unexpected 5-6k cost just to Finish the pool.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shaping up nicely!

TomTWI

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TedCheddy

TedCheddy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to be clear...the pool will be ready for the big VMB get together on May 11th? Burgers and dogs are fine too...I don't think any of us expect steaks.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We expect steaks!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. tominiowa

tominiowa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It will be nice when all done if you would want to let us all know what the total overages compared to when you started. When I visit model homes all staged and looking pretty how much those actually would cost compared to the prices they list on paper. Also curious if your new house has CID's, master plan fees, HOA's and other fees for several years. It is an impressive house. How many sq feet do they appraise it at? Have you started the furniture purchases or moving some from old house? When we bought the vacation home it was incredible the cost to furnish an empty house. All those plates, dishes, furniture and decorative stuff really added up.. My wife enjoyed it me not so much.

PS We actually saved a bunch by buying the furniture in Iowa and had it shipped to the house in Vegas. It went smooth with them bringing it in house and setting it all up for us.

• Like Like x 1
  19. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m actually flying into Vegas tomorrow night for one night for board meeting so I can conduct business there so I get the chance to check on the construction progress Wednesday. My wife is bummed that she can’t come with me but I’ll have to face time her the updates.

As for total costs once all choices and upgrades have been completed, I’m looking at 100k+ over of the base price of $367k and will be at or around 500k once furniture and everything else to move in is factored in. I’ll look back into the specific numbers more and get back to you but much of that number is in the cost of the lot and the pool. The lot fee alone was 18k so we can have a decent backyard to fit the pool and the pool, with walls, gates, landscaping, etc is another 60k. The pool is 30x15 which is a decent size so I’m happy with that given how small the lots out here are.

After we finalized the contract, of course my wife and I had regrets about what we should have included and things we missed. To make up for getting those items in the mortgage, we’re looking at another 10k in upgrades out of pocket.

This is definitely a learning experience but I’ve definitely learned a lot. As for other hidden costs, there are no sids/lids for our community (Mello Roos for Cali folks) and HOA is a low $12 a month.

20. BlueBellThunder

BlueBellThunder VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For what you paid for your home would be at least double in most of NJ. You meantioned the HOA at only $12 a month. What do you get?

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.