1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Room privacy and noise

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by JWBlue, Feb 10, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just reading a thread about Park MGM and the issue with being able to hear talking in the room next door. I never understood why builders seem minimize costs with the thickness of the walls. It seems like the one area builders would get the most value is by making walls more soundproof.

Are there any contractors on this forum? Is it expensive to make the walls more soundproof?

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It’s more expensive than not using it, so the bean counters would never sign off.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Maybee86

Maybee86 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sound proof insulation approx .60 cents per Sq. Ft.

4. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Seems pricey to me. Are there other ways to soundproof besides insulation? Thicker walls?

5. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I also heard this about Park MGM. What did they do differently to Monte Carlo for them to now have this problem? Did they change the insulation?

6. Maybee86

Maybee86 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    @JWBlue there’s lots of other ways you can improve soundproofing, like you said can be as simple as thicker walls. We’ve never used it but there is this glue product you can apply between 2 pieces of drywall which is suppose to help block out noise. There’s also acoustical paints and wallpapers.
    I know all these products cost really start to add up while just using them in a residential setting, so I could only imagine using them as part of a reno on one of these Vegas hotels

7. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Why insulate ?
    What does The House care ?
    You're gonna hear the asshole's TV next door - who leaves the
    room for the evening with the sound UP as a security measure !....anyway !
    I had people YELLING at each other just in conversation -
    after an hour of that shit -
    I banged on the wall and said " QUIET PLEASE ! "
    .......not saying this is the best tactic ........
    but they finally shut the f*ck up
    Insulation ?......why bother ?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Maybee86

Maybee86 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get what your saying but often times using better building material will save you money in other areas later on. Better insulated walls and better windows could save these properties TONS of money throughout the year. Imagine the cost associated with ac’s running in all these rooms

9. bnlphan

bnlphan Degenerate In Training

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Vegas, personally I'm so tired or drunk that I could sleep through a tornado.

NYNY,Cannery,Sam's Town Jun4-11
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

BTW
    Your own house is not insulated between INNER walls.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. michael cadena

michael cadena High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve already stayed at the park mgm a few times and as for the walls they’re not paper thing but. Someone the thinnest I’ve encountered at Las Vegas hope.

12. michael cadena

michael cadena High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah that way seems to work best if all elder fails

13. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you're traveling solo book a 2 queen room instead of a King and put the extra mattress against the wall.... Better go add this tip to that other thread...

Vegas Trip #57
    Vegas Trip #58, Sammy Hagar
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tentatively booked at Park MGM in April. Not entirely sure I'll be staying there but if I do, having stayed there twice before I will straight up ask to be placed in a room that's isolated. The walls are that thin. I know if it's a busy week it may not be an option, and I know it won't help noise from the rooms above and below me, but I'm so used to a dead quiet sleeping environment that even being able to hear mumbles through the walls will keep me up (no matter how drunk I am).

15. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Monte Carlo always had the problem. Do a search for Monte Carlo thin walls.

16. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah of all the properties we've stayed at, they have been the thinnest that i've noticed. Its unfortunate.

17. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I only stayed at Park MGM once - last September - and didn't hear a peep, BUT I only used the room occasionally as a crash pad for a day because my flight home was at midnight and I wanted a home base. I can't vouch for "middle of the night" disturbances.

One thing I would like to point out is that this nightmare can happen at any hotel. If you are in a room that has a connecting door, you WILL hear people in the next room yapping up a storm at 3am, no matter which property you are staying at. It has happened to me at Bally's Las Vegas and it has happened to me at The Borgata in Atlantic City. You can also hear inconsiderate drunken loudmouths in the hallways talking at top volume as they stumble back to their rooms in the middle of the night, and no amount of soundproofing is going to stop that. The quietest rooms I have stayed in have always been suites that were tucked at the very end of a hallway (the Executive Corner Suites at Vdara are a favorite because it is you basically have nothing around your walls except air - great views - and next to the room is a fire stairwell between the suite and the next room, so it is super quiet. Of course if the room above decided to take up tap dancing at 4am, you may run into a problem).

My advice to anyone traveling anywhere to any hotel - pack a pair of GOOD ear plugs. Not all ear plugs are created equal. They all block varying amounts of decibels and some are harder to roll and put in your ear than others. The ones that I have found work best for me are these:

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-MAX-1-plugs-Uncorded/dp/B0033Z1RBU/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1549890257&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=howard+leight+max-1+foam+ear+plugs+uncorded+nr33

I would also recommend packing one of those sleep masks, just in case. I always bring a few binder clips with me to keep the curtains shut (and to clip any bags of room snacks shut) but I can't sleep with any light whatsoever penetrating the room and Vegas sunrises are particularly brilliant. Sometimes those sleep masks combined with the ear plugs are a real lifesaver!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  18. jr7110

jr7110 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No one, no where and no how is going to attempt this zany "I Love Lucy" scheme. There is no way lifting a heavy mattress and pushing it against a wall is going to do anything except put you in traction. A) the mattress is not big enough to cover the entire wall and B) the mattress is not big enough to cover the entire wall.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depending on where you are staying the ridiculous night club noise will often drown out the people next door, so inter-room insulation won’t be a problem for you.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This can actually be quite entertaining when its 2 or 3 girls sharing a room...provides valuable insight into what makes them tick! ;)

Annual Spring Trip!
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.