1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Tetrazzini question

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by notfromconcentrate, Dec 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Context: I was scrolling through Facebook, and Longhorn (stop #1 on next week's Vegas trip) posted their calendar of restaurant specials for the month... and for the night I'm arriving, they had listed a special of Turkey Tetrazzini. I've never heard the word "tetrazzini" before... so I had to Google it, even though I already had dinner for that night planned.

Sure enough, it looks pretty darn good... but more amazingly, it seems to be an incredibly common recipe. Which has me all the more baffled as to why I've never heard of it. Must be an American thing, like biscuits and gravy.

So, I'm intrigued. Really intrigued. Logical me figures "if it's such a common recipe, surely there are other restaurants that serve it?". I get to Googling again. Whoops. Perhaps I assumed wrong. I did uncover a thread on an IGN message board that suggested this is a rarer bird than I'd thought: https://www.ign.com/boards/threads/seriously-why-the-dont-restaurants-sell-chicken-tetrazzini.181858001/

Now... what's my question? I guess I'm asking three questions, and I'd appreciate responses to any or all of them...

1. Is tetrazzini as good as it looks? Or is it just another one of those "here's lots of starch and dairy, just try not to get a heart attack" type recipes?

2. Can tetrazzini be found at any restaurant that you know of? Ideally in the Las Vegas valley, but I travel a lot so I'm open to suggestions elsewhere.

3. My original plan for dinner was to get something from Pepe's Tacos, which I absolutely fell in love with three trips ago and have been dying to return to since. Given my attachment to having Pepe's Tacos that night, should trying tetrazzini for the first time stand to displace my original choice? Or is it not as exciting as I'm making it out to be?

Part of me is anticipating an onslaught of "What do you mean tetrazzini isn't a thing in Canada?! Get that tetrazzini already!"-type responses, kind of like the responses that I get from most people when I tell them I've never seen Star Wars. But I'm equally anticipating some "nah fam it's not that special, get your tacos"-type responses, since I feel like it would be more popular in restaurants if it really was that special.

Looking forward to the responses regardless :)

[TENTATIVE Late Jul/Early Aug] Vegas by way of Chicago/Elko/Reno!
  2. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My mother in law makes it as a way to use up thanksgiving turkey. I’ve never seen it at a restaurant. Just like I’ve never seen hot dish, which it is similar to.

Truthfully, it’s easy enough to make and I think it’s just alright. I wouldn’t go to the end of the earth to eat it. It’s basically cheap baked pasta in cream sauce with a little meat plus some flavoring agents

3. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to Google "hot dish" as well... geez, all of these American things :)

Many thanks for the input. That confirms my instinct that it's not an objectively special dish, but with it being kind of "exotic" to me, for lack of a better word, I still remain somewhat intrigued.

4. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’d go try Hattie bs first if you want something regional and interesting.

Honestly, unless you can’t cook at all...just try a recipe from online. It’s criminally easy to make. It’s a weeknight meal for families

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Question: have Canadians discovered green bean casserole yet. Also sweet potatoes with marshmallows (retch)

6. NotFromConcentrate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cooking happens to be one of my greatest passions, actually :) You're right, it does look easy from the recipes that I saw online. The issue is, I'm usually cooking only for myself, and I don't eat leftovers, so it's not something that can be made in a small portion. This would be great for the next time I have people over though.

Green bean casserole: Had to Google that too. Even though I don't think green beans and mushrooms go particularly well together, that does look pretty good actually. I've learned way more than I expected to tonight!

Sweet potatoes with marshmallows: I also Googled this... I tilted my head at the sight of what you wrote, wondering who in the hell would eat such a thing. Out of reflex, I actually typed in "sweet potatoes with mushrooms". Which looked normal enough. Then corrected it to marshmallows and... wow... that's a thing. Geez. Fortunately, since I'm allergic to potatoes, I don't know what sweet potatoes taste like, and so I can't fathom how that would taste. So I'm half-retching... how's that? :)

7. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It isn’t an “American” thing, perhaps more of a generational thing. My Mum used to have it in her left over turkey roster but I have made it less than a handful of times preferring other ways to use left over turkey.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. Green bean casserole is ok and sweet potatoes with marshmallows, yuck!

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll jump on board the bandwagon. Agree that it's a good dish to use up leftover Thanksgiving bird. It's also one of the first dishes I ever tried when I got my own place. Spend a little time on the sauce and it can be an excellent "throw something together" meal.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/chicken-tetrazzini-recipe-1943960

Legend has it that famed opera coloratura Luisa Tetrazzini stopped by a Manhattan restaurant late one night after a performance. She was famished, but the kitchen was just closing. The head chef whipped this meal together. Tetrazzini loved it and the chef named the dish after her.

It's a fun dish for new cooks to try their hand at. I came across it in a Betty Crocker cookbook my mother gave me when I got my first apartment. As mentioned, a great way to use up leftover Thanksgiving turkey.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It was pretty common in the public school system I attended. Would be served in the cafeteria quite often. Usually with chicken.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    sweet potatoes with cumin and/or cayenne: the right use of them.

Green Bean Casserole is just ok to me - if you want something else American, I really like green beans and tomatoes

13. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looks pretty close to Chicken a la King.

My motto is try everything once, twice if it tastes good.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Green bean casserole role - GROSS.
    Turkey tetrazzini - GROSS.
    But I am with you on the Pepe's tacos.

• Like Like x 1
  15. kaeldon23

kaeldon23 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had an aunt that would always bring Jello Salad and Ritz Cracker Pie to Thanksgiving potluck dinner. I couldn't help but role my eyes when I saw them but damn if they weren't delicious.

• Like Like x 1
  16. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ritz Cracker Mock Apple Pie, Classic! How about Ambrosia “Salad”? Crushed pineapple, canned clementine oranges, marshmallows....what else?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. vegaskid74

vegaskid74 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1. My mom made this all the time back in the day. Not the worst thing in the rotation, but nothing to get lathered up for either.

18. soxfan4life

soxfan4life Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have never had Tetrazzini either so I checked out the images. Looks kinda rough man. But you never can tell until you try it.

19. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sweet potatoes but with cream cheese mixed in much better than the marshmallows.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We make it with a little butter, cream, egg, white sugar, brown sugar, topped with chopped pecans and more brown sugar.

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.