1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Someone Come Help Me Pack!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Sonya, Dec 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LVisBeautiful

LVisBeautiful High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well not the same but I brought a yard inflatable (don’t ask), they asked me if it was a cpap, when I said no they had a heyday with my bag

2. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In May I packed for a 14 day trip ...I used one under-seat bag and one carry on.
    I made up a capsule wardrobe in Black/Red/Grey Cream and Navy.

I brought a single coffee/kcup machine and cream/sugar too. (I used it up and left it there.)
    I wore high heeled wedges, Levis Jeans, a dressy casual top and a long cardigan sweater.

brought
    1 pair of sketchers and 1 pair of rhinestone flat sandals & 1 pair flip-flops.
    2 pairs dressy capris, 1 pair black leggings,
    1 dressy dress, 2 casual dresses,
    1 dressy top, 1 denim shirt, 4 dressy-casual tops
    1 sarong, 1 2pc swimsuit, 1 sheer coverup,
    2 bras, 6 undies, 2 pairs socks
    1 ipad, 1 kodak camera, 1 iphone all chargers, extra batteries & memory.
    1 purse, i wristlet
    1 flat iron & a small bag of toiletries & a small bag of makeup.
    2 lva 2 acg - modified the acg by ripping down the spine...only took the coupons left the front half of the book in the trash.

I did go shopping and bought another 2 pair of high heeled wedges and one Men's XXL Fleece Jacket from Binion's -
    luckily I had freed up space by leaving the coffee maker and I used up all the toiletries.

My underseat bag was firmly packed but I could have fit more in if needed.
    The carry-on was loosely packed with the coffemaker (cream/sugar), purse, coupon books, toiletries/makeup and iphone.

On the way back all my new purchases and purse went in the carry-on.
    Both bags were firmly packed on the way back home.

One thing I will NEVER do again is pack the powdered coffee creamer and sugar on the bottom of my luggage.
    TSA luggage xray scanner was set off & they pulled me aside & dumped everything out because the powdered creamer showed as possible explosive!
    Buy powdered creamer/sugar in Vegas

I don't need a CPAP but since it doesn't count against your luggage allowance I would have been fine.
    I wont take 2 pieces of luggage anymore
    lugging 2 pieces of luggage on the moving walkway and WAX is dangerous.
    (dangerous for me! I'm sure to everyone else it looked hilarious!)

in October I went for 7 days
    I wore one dressier travel outfit and packed a second outfit and a LBD.
    I went shopping for the rest.
    I was fine!
    I didn't bring a coffee maker- missed it.
    I love coffee on demand...I don't like waiting.

I did watch quite a few how-to pack videos and I rolled my pieces, put socks/undies in the shoes etc.

• Love Love x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Simple lady, just buy a shrink ray gun.

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. mkl37

mkl37 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would consider using travel compression bags to help you pack. They save a lot of space but have to iron the clothes before wearing. compression bags.jpg

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Why didn't I think of that when I still had time to order one?

Those look interesting, but probably not enough time to find and buy them with everything that happens between now and when I get on a ferry Wednesday morning.

Okay, so thank you so much for all the advice. I was able to cram an amazing amount of stuff into the carry on, but getting all the CPAP parts in was a challenge. I have a tote with some other stuff, and tried to cram the excess in there and that maxed out what the zipper could contain. Then I looked at a less stuffed tote, full carry on, and the CPAP bag as my 3rd carry on. I started to think about lugging all this stuff, by myself, to the ferry, across downtown Seattle, onto the light rail, two airports and to the hotel and decided one of the three would definitely not end up at the final destination.

Then I brought out the bigger suitcase and easily managed to get in all the things, plus the CPAP bag, which is nice to have to stash the mask in when housekeeping is in the room. I still have room to lighten the tote bag, and bring a couple of other things that I "should" bring with me and a few things it would be nice to have along. Like a jacket!! Has anyone told Vegas it's supposed to be warm when I visit?

So, I guess I'm checking a bag. I hope this isn't a decision I regret. :)

I think it's going to be good. I have an old Achilles tendon injury that I messed up again in Banff last summer. It gets very angry if I walk more than 3-4 miles in a day. Of course, there's hardly any walking in Vegas. :rolleyes2: My PT really wants me to bring a sleeping boot so I can relax that inflammation while I sleep, plus I have some creams for it that will never make it through TSA in a larger than 3oz container. I thought I could tough it out for 6 days, with a little help from Captain Morgan, but now I can pack whatever I want, so I get to sleep in my very sexy boot. I'm sure all the boys will be breaking down the door to my room. :haha:

Plus I can bring my good toothpaste, instead of one of those tiny tubes, and all my hair stuff I like to have with me.

Feeling more organized by the minute now! TICK TOCK!!

• Like Like x 8
  6. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you made the right decision!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The delivery time for a checked bag at McCarran has improved a great deal over the last twenty years. Usually come off the carousel within fifteen minutes of waiting.

8. alanleroy

alanleroy Click my avatar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I forgot my suitcase one year. Packing is overrated.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. BreakEven

BreakEven High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Target, Fred Meyer or the Rick Steve's Travel Store in Edmonds would be your best bet if you have the time https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/compression-bags

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks. I dont think I'll have time. Ive got a bunch of doctor stuff on top of my regular stuff tomorrow and Tuesday. Target is 45 minutes, one way from here, Freddy is more like an hour. Edmonds is a hike and a boat ride. But I will put them on my list for when I get back. Maybe next time I can carry on. At least after today's experiment, I see it could be possible. :)

11. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bring 2 pairs of jeans (wear one) and you'll have most of this fixed. Wear your coat. Then you just need to pack shirts/socks/understuff/toiletries/a few knick knacks/an extra pair of shoes. I wear undershirts and my boxers as my sleep clothes. I also take a small carry on for my book and to give me room to bring presents home.

12. NotFromConcentrate

NotFromConcentrate It’s a Cassowary :)

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I'll go to any length to not check a bag. Costs aside, I've heard way too many cases of bags getting damaged/lost and airlines having elaborate schemes to avoid compliance with the Montreal Convention's requirements relating to such events. This happened to me a few years ago with Air Canada, when they damaged my bag, lied (in writing) about what the Montreal Convention's damage rules were, and only agreed to pay when I threatened them with litigation.

You're essentially giving up custody of your bag to a third-party baggage handling service that cares even less about your bag than the airline does. As much as lugging around a crammed carry-on sucks, way too much goes wrong on a regular basis for me to be comfortable with checking a bag unless I absolutely have to.

I do agree that the freedom of checking a suitcase is wonderful by comparison. But I think the risks involved nullify any of the benefits.

Jul 17 to ??? - Amtrak from Chicago to AZ... Laughlin, Vegas & More!
  13. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know exactly how many flights I've been on but definitely 500+. On only two occasions my luggage didn't arrive. Once when I had only a carry on and was made to gate check it as I was getting on the plane as the bins were full. Apparently, it was left on the plane. I was given $500 cash at the airport to buy some clothes and toiletries and my bag was delivered to me late the next day. Bonus! The other time was on a return trip and my bag was delivered to my home a few days later. Sure the bags get tossed so I don't pack fragile items in my checked bag. I do always put a clothing change in my carry on just in case but I also don't go through life assuming "the worst" will happen. Life's too short to borrow trouble :)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  14. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good choice!
    Not having to worry about liquids or sizes is great!
    I would rather check a bag and carry my purse with me.

I started using just one under the seat bag to avoid the long checked bag lines at O'Hare and the cheaper airfare.

As a bonus using one bag helps me avoid being pulled apart like a wishbone -
    .....doing the splits on a moving walkway from trying to hold on to the bag that got stuck on the lip.
    My Mom just about peed herself from laughter but I was embarrassed, pissed off and scared all at once.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Checked bag or carry-on, you’ll have a great time :woohoo:
    I prefer checked for the luxury of being able to tuck in those extra’s just in case. I carry a small tote with my ipad, meds, a few toiletries, change of clothes, and put it under the seat. I hate messing with the overheads cause I’m a shortie...

Lost or late arrival luggage has been rare in my experience. In 130+ flights, happened once on a tight plane change where weather delays was a factor, I made it, my luggage arrived the next morning. Not the end of the world.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Guy

Guy Captain of the Heads

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm a big fan of taking 1 weeks worth of clothes for a 2 week trip and doing laundry at the mid-way point, but for 6 days I'd just check a bag.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yikes! That sounds a lot like something I would do. I'm graceful like that.

I agree. It happens, but not that often. It's happened to me over the years. It wasn't ever more than the next day when we got them.

• Like Like x 2
  18. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good thing I'm hella flexible!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. vegas superfan

vegas superfan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pack the same amount of clothes for a weekend or for a month long trip. I can do a month with a carry on sized bag (which I check because I bring more liquids than allowed.)

I will wash some things in the sink. I will use Febreeze.

I am leaving for a 24 night trip to Jordan and Egypt on Friday and I have a carry on.

• Like Like x 3
    • Love Love x 1
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  20. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I do not think this is going to be something I could ever pull off. I've done the laundry in the sink thing a couple times in Vegas, for longer trips. It's a hassle and I don't like the way air dryed clothes feel when you put them on. I don't want any real life to interfere with vacation time, and laundry = real life. :haha:

So now that I've settled on checking the larger bag, I've started tossing random things I *could* pack into my office. Right now my office is a pile of luggage with random piles of other things all around it. What a mess! I'm going to have to have another cup of coffee and sit down and figure out what REALLY needs to come to Vegas with me today.

• Like Like x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.