1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

MGM Resorts charging extra service charge for their spas/salons

Discussion in 'LV Strip Hotels' started by Dan_Tanna, Aug 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_Tanna

Dan_Tanna Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  2. Gino

Gino "The King of Inappropriate."

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In fucking furiating. So tired of getting gouged by these bean counting corporate cocksuckers.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One good deal after another from these asshats. The money may not kill us, but the collective insults are mighty. They probably have someone in accounting trying to figure out how to get an extra two dimes and a nickel from each visitor.

No doubt they’ll use the extra money to pay the lawyers suing the Mandalay Bay shooting victims.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  4. Ricsue

Ricsue Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prices go up, service and quality go down

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When was the tip for spa and salon services ever included in the resort fee???

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It never was-nor was admission to the spa. I think they’re hoping to homogenize tips at a higher level than they’re getting now-gives the employees a raise without the company having to pay them. Cheap bastards.

I remember how irritated I was when they started making me pay to use the Bellagio spa, even though we were Noir and in a penthouse. Add in Cypress pool chairs, high costs in general, and now a resort fee, and you can spike a bill pretty quickly. We got backend comps to take care of a lot of it, but the collective little insults of being nicked here, there and everywhere started to really piss me off.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Akala

Akala Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    insta grat tends to reduce service quality overall. less motivation to go above and beyond. probably good for workers short-term (assuming they will see most of it).

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So will this charge be in lieu of a tip to the provider similar to an automatically added tip for a large group in a restaurant?

9. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Access to the fitness center is provided by the resort fee and there isn't an extra charge for that. It sounds to me like they are adding a 20% fee to spa services like massages, etc. It sounds like the "automatic gratuity" added to room service food orders. I'm curious if that money goes to the service provider or straight to the property and a tip needs to added on top of that. I know that I would assume it was the "tip" to the provider and wouldn't add any extra. Sounds like the spa employees are thrilled by this new policy. :cool:

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    this is mandated tipping, semantics aside. puts tips above the table. becoming the norm.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. Gypsy21

Gypsy21 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In theory, sure, they usually put something like 'additional gratuities are at your discretion', but they won't be happy if you don't tip more. If it's a one and done, I may not add an extra tip, but in spas I frequent I'll tip extra just to make sure they aren't giving me the evil eye next time I go back lol.

I'm also not sure how new this is. I didn't use the spa last time I stayed at the Bellagio, but I know that the Aria was auto adding 20% since at least New Years, and NYNY was doing well before that. I'm really starting to gravitate away from Mlife in general, who needs em with the Cosmo and Wynn around?

12. jeffers102

jeffers102 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Am I missing something? Every high end spa (and many not high end) that the wife and I have ever been to have automatically added a gratuity ranging from 18-20%. I just assumed Vegas had been doing this for years..

• Agree Agree x 4
  13. Gypsy21

Gypsy21 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was curious, and according to the Aria: A portion of the service charge is dispersed to the spa and salon staff members who served you and the remainder is an administrative fee.
    I'd like to think most of it goes to the provider, but they're probably just as happy to gouge their employees as they are us, so 15% of it is probably the 'administrative fee'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Nittany1

Nittany1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This puts the customer in a bad spot.
    I always tip 20%+ but this add on will not all go to the provider.
    So there is gonna be the provider thinking the customer should add on more than the "service charge" and the customer getting hosed by the hotel.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  15. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I just don't see the big deal about this. Several vegas spas, including some mlife, have already automatically added this fee for years (at 18%). Its not really much of a change. Now the tip I would leave anyway is already included. Doesn't seem like something to get worked up about IMO.

The plans have changed
    • Agree Agree x 6
  16. Crawfordesquire

Crawfordesquire High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    one thing which I am interested in, is if this can be removed in lieu of cash in hand. i tip cash. ill report back on this in a few weeks.

• Like Like x 1
  17. DeMoN2318

DeMoN2318 The DERS

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Resort fee provides you access to the Spa. This "Service Charge" is only charged if you use the spa... it is gratuity, simple. Not another money grab... it is ensuring that their employees get the gratuity they deserve for providing the service you have access to for free...

Exactly like automatic gratuity when dinning with a party of 6 or more....

Calm down people.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly! Well said. At least they’re maintaining their property and trying to render a high level of guest service in exchange for the resort fees and high prices. MGM is doing neither.

I’d probably tip 20% anyway-it just peeves me to be told I have to and have no choice (even if the service were to be crappy).

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Gypsy21

Gypsy21 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly. I have no problem tipping 20%, and honestly they usually get that out of me even if I didn't think the quality of service was great. What I don't like is not actually knowing how much is going to the provider, and how much is the aforementioned 'administrative fee'.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cosmo spa automatically adds 20% as well and has since it opened

The plans have changed
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.