1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Been thinking.. I'm not cheap.. somewhat frugal.. I don't want too be gouged

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by Vegabound, Jul 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep--our gambling budget doesn't seem that high to us, but others might not be comfortable to them.

Conversely--I am ill to pay for rooms (or pay much, even during busy times). I am not comfortable paying several hundred dollars for a meal--even if it was GREAT, I have had GREAT meals for less. And pretty good meals for MUCH less. I HATE paying for a drink (since I drink free gambling...) but discovered that 4 $12 drinks (each) at Ballys Indigo Lounge listening to a band was considerably cheaper than the 2 of us bellied up to the Cabaret VP bar at Paris listening to the band drinking "free drinks...

Even I am becoming more balanced as I get older...

2. marksind

marksind VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you took an economics course you probably remember the principle of "diminishing returns," the point on the graph where the curve stops its steep ascent and begins to level out. It's related to the "80/20" principle, that for many activities or things 80% of the result is achieved with 20% of the effort. Getting that final 20% takes 80% of the effort. That's how I think about the value proposition. Most of the time I'm totally happy with 80% quality for 20% of the cost. Of course there are exceptions, like when failure would be catastrophic (e.g., the new hot water heater I just installed).

Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  3. whiskeyandslots

whiskeyandslots High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I feel like this is particularly true in Vegas, too.

Like, the steak special at Ellis Island isn't the best steak money can buy, but it's a great value at $7.99. The higher-end steakhouses, although pricey, also offer a great value because you're eating high-end cuts that were prepared by professional chefs (not, say, college students who had never cooked more than ramen noodles or macaroni and cheese before scoring that job at Applebee's), enjoying well-prepared sides and enjoying an atmosphere and level of service that can't be found everywhere.

Buffets, too. I think the Stations buffets are great for the price. The MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay buffets? Not so much. But people rave about the buffets at Wynn, Cosmo and Caesars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. whiskeyandslots

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is the main thing to me. I'm on another Vegas forum that I really enjoy, but one thing that bothers me is that anytime that someone mentions doing something to save a little money in Vegas, the same posters come in and make snarky comments about it. It's ridiculous.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  5. Keith Bird

Keith Bird Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ImKing1224 - That why I'm here more than TA. It used to be fun about 12 years ago, but now people do their best to bust others chops on how they choose to live their lives. I do mine my way, and have no issue with others doing it their way as long as it does not interfere with me ;-)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. whiskeyandslots

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the board I'm talking about, actually. There are some really nice, helpful and funny posters there. There are also people who think they're comedians but who actually come across as snobby and rude.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. KKB

KKB VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am not a huge buffet fan in Vegas (well, on the Strip) as I find them overpriced for mediocre food.
    That being said between TR credit card sign up & MyVegas I have tried a few over the last several years.
    When I can get BOGO, I have found Aria, Cosmo, Bellagio, Mirage to all be solid choices--but if I had to pay full price, the value is GONE. For $20-40 a person I can get a pretty darn good meal on the Strip.
    Mom & I paid the $15 upcharge to get breakfast at Caesars when we got the Buffet pass at CET. We got there about 10:30 so got to try both meals. This is a GREAT buffet--but $60 great? HELL NO.
    Paris is pretty solid too & I have managed to find some groupons or something over the years to make it worthwhile.
    All the other Strip buffets get pretty mixed reviews (except Wynn...just never seem to get down there)--from OK to bad, so why bother? Again OVERPRICED for mediocre food AT BEST.

Now, I have only tried the Silver Sevens & Main Street Stations buffets, both on BOGOs. SS was limited but decent. MSS is a must do for breakfast if we go downtown. Really good, imo, and well priced. Can barely eat at McDonald's for that price.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How many threads has Ken referenced "Sizzler" ?
    I was thinking 4 or 5
    way off

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am thinking if we are having dinner and the check arrives and is placed between us, it is CHEAP of you to no longer make eye contact, small talk, or even acknowledge the check has arrived.
    Now it is frugal for me, on the other hand, to excuse myself to the washroom, collect my thought and then see you back at the hotel if at all.
    (caution; if your wife is across the table from you just let her be cheap, get the check, leave a tip, and head out together. Otherwise, “excuse me, I’ll be right back”)

• Funny Funny x 3
  10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Is there a cash prize if I know the answer to this?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  11. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There’s a fine if you don’t!!

12. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, I can't afford that. It's 15. There, I feel better now.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is so hot in Portland right now it's a regular old SIZZLER!!!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
  14. azlefty

azlefty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure what I thought I would learn from reading this thread, let alone adding to it, but I think it can be summarized with the phrase de gustibus non est disputandum, as I may have said once or twice when I was a fancy pants person.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TableToddyy

TableToddyy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ya, I was a little bored this morning. Thanks for playing and being good sports.
    I remembered.a couples times over the years. So I searched it.

16. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :haha: Don't make me laugh. It's too hot here to expand any energy.

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. LVisBeautiful

LVisBeautiful High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey I wanted to add that I have added the frugality of time management to my trip.

In addition to every moment fully couponed, researched, spreadsheeted, weighed, and probably overthought; I have added walking/travel time to the calculation. This led me to Fremont Street; walking time ratio to gambling/fun.

I splurge on Starbucks and expensive cocktails, nothing else.

Also, for frugality, I fully research the games, and make playing plans. It was a joy to learn VP and how to do perfect play, then calc the actual return live. There were some VMBers that actually told me where to go play for best results.

Hence I love this board.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. DollyEnPrison

DollyEnPrison Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I first started going to Vegas I would have a "trip budget" for everything I could spend cash on. So just about everything except the hotel room and flights. If I started a 3 day trip with $500, I would often end up blowing through most of it in the first day between careless gambling above what my bankroll affords and fancy cocktails and food to make me feel better about my gambling woes. The last couple days of my trip would often leave me with less than $50 a day all entertainment/activities (gambling, food, transportation, etc). This wasn't fun for me.

I quickly learned to start my gambling with lower bets and to eat more affordable meals the first couple days. For the most part this strategy worked for me, and let me enjoy a simple first half to my trip and a more extravagant and frivolous second half. It wasn't a perfect system for me, and sometimes I cheated so I adopted the "envelope system" where I would have $100 the first couple days, and $300 for the last day. This allowed me to make decisions on whether a $17 drink by the pool or a $50 steak was within my budget based on how much I had left for the day and what I still wanted to do that day.

Now I am at a place where if I win a lot of money gambling one day, say I have $1000 in my pocket when I started the day with $300, I will still decide if a certain expense feels worth it to me. Even though I have that $1000 to spend, it doesn't mean I will spend $200 on a steak when I think that is overpriced, or a lot more than it was last time I visited. I guess what I am saying, is while it is frustrating to see the ridiculous prices on some items in Vegas (especially when they have gone up in price and when you planned to spend less), there is always something else within your budget to entertain you or feed you as long as you are flexible and manage your money well.

Vegas is a place where people have all sorts of expectations based on their own past trips and other peoples experiences, but ultimately the city is ever changing to cater to new trends whether it be for the better or worse for each individual. Embracing that change and steering your path in new directions when you aren't pleased with changes in policies and pricing is a must for a stress free and enjoyable vacation in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Vegabound

Vegabound Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have been there three times but have never been overly impressed...we are going to go back this year

20. nhanna45

nhanna45 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its not that a lot of us can't afford expensive meals or anything, its just wasting money we could be gambling with on the same quality food that might cost $50 at one place or $15. You mostly pay for the name or experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.