$20 Cosmopolitan

Discussion in '$20 Trick Section' started by Sonya, Apr 28, 2015.

1. boofmichael

boofmichael Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just booked for May 2018. Booked a terrace studio fountain view, any chances of getting upgraded to a 1 bedroom?

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Looking at their pricing for some random day in May, it looks like the 1 bedroom fountain view isn't much of an upgrade. $10 per night difference. I think I'd just go ahead and book at the slightly higher rate and not worry about it as there are a lot of high rates that month, so room availability could be a problem.

3. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For what it's worth, you might look at Cosmo website or utube for the floorplans of the studio versus the one bedroom layout. If you like the Japanese soaking tub with a view and pocket bedroom door then I'd upgrade to the one bedroom which is reasonably priced.
    We actually prefer the layout of the terrace studio over the one bedroom when we don't do the terrace suite - just a personal preference.

The 'fountain view' is the main event, lol.

4. TimWhalen

TimWhalen Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Heading to Cosmo in June Sunday-Thursday, checking in late. Have a terrace studio booked, looking for a simple upgrade to a fountain view. Pretty confident the $20 will work.

Tried the $20 trick for my wedding but it didn't work. Had a wrap around fountain view booked, was hoping for it to be in the Boulevard tower in the 35-55 floor range, facing the strip/fountains. The clerk worked the phones hard for me but nothing seemed to be available. She then worked with me and I got a the 37th floor in the Chelsea tower facing the fountains and strip (slightly blocked by the Boulevard tower). Honestly the room was unreal, provided such a wow factor for us and our guests that we hosted. Here's a pic.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 2
  5. Colesc15

Colesc15 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're going in July and staying two nights (Wednesday night and Thursday night). My room is comped and just booked by calling directly. I'm booked in a terrace one bedroom. What could I potentially hope for with a $20 trick? My guess is we'll be checking in through the invited guests line

6. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The jump to a fountain view room is small. The next jump after that is either a Wraparound or a Terrace Suite and those are big jumps, around $200/night retail.

7. Colesc15

Colesc15 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do those ever happen for a complimentary upgrade?

8. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No.

If it isn't an absolute "no", it is very unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Texas Steph

Texas Steph A Work in Progress...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    [​IMG]

I've booked a comp Terrace Studio three different stays; got a complimentary upgrade two of those times to a Terrace Suite Fountain View without even asking.

If you really want a Suite and/or a view, just ask. It can happen.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is good feedback. It looks like I am wrong!

11. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My play level results in offers that normally cover up to a One Bedroom Fountain View. They never state the room type, I've just found out by trial and error. There was one trip I booked where they were able to book me into a Terrace Suite because the pricing for my dates just eked under the comp value they were willing to give me.

So it's not impossible that they'll put you in a Wraparound or Terrace Suite. I always agree in advance to pay an upgrade fee, so I don't know what the best way to approach it at the front desk would be. I think I'd just try for the complimentary upgrade, and if you get it, go back down later and slide the agent a $20 in an envelope.

I think free upgrades are 90% a function of inventory and 10% the mood of the agent.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 2
  12. kabbage

kabbage Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sunday - Thursday stay, booked terrace studio

Was hoping to get upgraded to a fountain view terrace, they put me into a fountain view wraparound suite :D:D:D

• Like Like x 6
  13. J Richardson

J Richardson Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, bash us or cheer us on but the wife and I are going to attempt a $100 sandwich tomorrow at Cosmopolitan.

We have a One Bedroom Fountain View booked Wednesday through Monday... hoping for a Fountain View Wraparound in the Boulevard tower.

I know the weekend part of our trip may make this tough, but what the hell, right?

Wish us luck!!!

• Like Like x 1
  14. RynoBU

RynoBU Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Let us know how it goes. Good luck!

15. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I tried the $20 trick at Cosmo last September. I was staying three nights Sun-Tuesday in a one bedroom. I asked for one of the angle rooms after I handed the agent the credit card and he made a few calls and ultimately told me they were all full. He then informed me that all of the fountain views were full as well, so needless to say I was very disappointed. He did mention that he had Lanai’s available, but I wasn’t sure if he was offering me that as a free upgrade or if he was saying I could pay to upgrade. Either way, I declined and took my room facing Planet Hollywood in the Boulevard tower.

16. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The "scam" (I use that term loosely) I've seen (and been hit with) while trying the $20 trick. They did this to my wife and I back in 2015, my buddy and his wife in 2017, and I just witnessed them doing this again a few weeks ago to the couple in front of me.

Terrace Studio is the room booked (in all cases fountain view)... give them the $20 and ask for complimentary upgrades... clerk makes some calls, comes back, and says they can get you into a slightly larger room. Ends up being a Terrace 1 BR (in all cases still fountain view). So the $20 upgrade goes from Terrace Studio to Terrace 1 BR with same view as booked.

I don't consider this an upgrade, maybe a lateral move at best. Obviously your opinion my differ, as the room does have a few extra sq feet, but I think the layout of the studio is far superior to the wasted space in the 1 BR room, and the jetted tub in the studio also superior to the soaking tub in the 1 BR.

Just a heads up - be prepared to ask for something specific when you do the trick (or start at the lowest base City Room and see how nice you can get up to).

17. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are fat like me the soaking tub is better!

Also in the new renovations there is a lot less wasted space in the 1brs

• Like Like x 1
  18. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am fat, and still found the jets more enjoyable :)

Thanks for the tip on the renovated rooms, will have to check them out before I go bad-talking the 1 BR's next time :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm on Team Studio also, but the 1 BRs are usually priced ~$20/night higher, so technically, for a multi-night stay, you get a little savings with the $20 tip. However, they also basically almost automatically give out that upgrade at check-in for nothing unless you decline it, which I've done.

20. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The toilet location in the 1br swings it for me, as it lowers the risk of me breaking my neck in the night :D