1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Problems with Boeing 737's

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by makikiboy, Apr 29, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually there have been many deaths on the 737. Here is a list of them. If you count crashes the death count is in the hundreds. Many of the crashes/deaths were due to bombs or hijackings or weather or pilot over/undershooting the runway but there are a number of them due to something wrong with plane parts or they couldn't figure out what caused the crash.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_accidents_and_incidents_involving_the_Boeing_737

I'm opposite of you, I prefer Boeing over airbus. Part of the problem is that airbus is fly by computer, there have been problems because a mechanic blocked a vent or sensor or there was a failure in one of them. And no, I'm not in favor of driverless cars, even though I worked with computers all my life I still don't think the computer can react in every situation like a human does. It is only as good as the programmer programmed it. This is JMHO.

As for fatigue on planes, the remedy would be to replace those parts. The Aloha 243 problem was because there were cracks in between the rivet holes, eventually the small cracks became one big crack and with the plane pressurized it eventually ripped the top fuselage completely off. They needed to have replaced parts of the fuselage to prevent the accident.

Now there is a lot more detailed examination of the plane, they have equipment to detect micro fractures in the fuselage and parts to prevent metal fatigue. I guess more examination needs to be made for engines and their parts.

2. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
  3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay a 737 crashed. Do you have an opinion, thought or comment about this?

(soap box on: Not direct to just this poster, but why do people post things with no comments,etc?)
    Soap Box Off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was referring to southwest, that has now had 1 death in about 40 years, is 1 ok? After the tragic death there were several comments that "ooh, southwest flies their planes hard", as if that was the cause.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And parts of this thread are a testimonial as to why Vegas does so well. :rolleyes2:

6. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've always liked the 319 more than the 320

7. OddsWrkin

OddsWrkin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I watched the Smithsonian Channel Air Disasters episode on the Aloha incident just last week. Manufacturing changes were made, I don't remember exactly but it had to do with the epoxy used to bond the metal, to prevent that particular problem from recurring.

I think you are far more likely to die in a car crash on the way to the airport than you are to die while on the airplane. I think it is also important to remember that there is absolutely no way to remain 100% safe.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It can get pretty busy up there at times over the USA. This is an older graphic showing the airborne traffic at one point in a day. Thee are others as well. With over 500 airports, aircraft have to be going somewhere. Accidents are rare compared to the traffic volume.

https://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/improvingflight/FACETSOY.html

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m sorry I offended you. You guys all seem to be deep into aeronautics, most of you pilots. Just an anecdotal thing. I did have a comment to make about the rudder problem, but that was long ago solved. Just trying to drop in two cents.

10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think it's amazing that the major airlines haven't had a crash since that one in NY slightly after 911, I recall when i was younger it seemed there was one every year or two. Kudos to the mfger's, mechanics, pilots, etc, who have kept us safe and created a situation where a single death is surprising.

By the way, I'm leaving for vegas in a few hours...on a SW 737.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  11. Jackpot Johnny

Jackpot Johnny Wynn Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm certainly not offended. I just wonder why someone would go into a frenzy and avoid a statistically very safe airplane to jump on a relatively less safe airplane operated by a less safe carrier. Hence my advice that if flight safety is your only criteria, get on a Southwest 737. Old anecdotal tales of incidents and disasters are interesting but are currently irrelevant in making a flying safety choice.

I see from this board that people are still staying in and around Mandalay Bay. Hmmm....

12. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Actually, they did take a serious hit at M-Bay for a few months. We were there in early January and the staff was still feeling the irrational impact. And, similar to the SW737 discussion, rather illogical. After all, nobody died at M-Bay and not even one customer was injured at M-Bay. And of course, it was a one time event.

13. Royal Flusher

Royal Flusher Savvy Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As I recall, the thing about the Aloha Airlines 737 pictured above was that their planes undergo a huge number of cycles (takeoffs and landings) compared to most other airlines - because do so many flights between the islands. There's also the fact that the planes doing the milk runs are always in salty air.

The amount of stress on the airframe that got ripped open was at the extreme end of the spectrum. It's still pretty amazing that it landed ok and more people weren't lost (literally).

14. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Totally unrelated, but I was checking on the status of a shipment that’s currently on the water. Obviously, the ships are not to scale. It kind of puts things in perspective regarding trade.
    2C8E24D7-DB68-4A39-9203-5351E0BBB620.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And shipping ... talk about a casualty-riddled transportation mode, still.

16. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm opposite of you, I prefer airbus over Boeing and have for years now because Airbus is more quiet and more roomy.

17. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You seem to be implying that a military pilot is more skilled than a civilian pilot and that in no way is true.

18. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just a guess but a lot if not most civilian pilots learned from being in the military.

19. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I fell asleep on a 737 and woke up on an Airbus, I probably would not notice the difference. The one think I did learn to tell them apart (thanks to the folks here) is if the plane makes that awful grinding-groaning-growling sound as they are preparing for take off, it's an Airbus.

20. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    FYI, posting links without comment is against forum rules and may be deleted. Since you commented about it now, it's ok.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.