1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Allegiant Air on 60 minutes

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by I4Favre, Apr 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. da1chifan

da1chifan High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can’t either but that’s the word. Nothing ever seems to be certain in the airline world though. Lol

2. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Somebody has to be on the bottom, right?

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Spirit has been around for a long time, they used to fly old crappy planes. They fly all airbusses now I believe.

4. vegasmacker

vegasmacker Canadian Ambassador for Sully's Bar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’ve flown Allegiant a lot. I knew they are bad, but it’s how they handle these issues that have always pissed me off. I remember a 3+ hour mechanical issue delay. They literally pulled out a 24 pack of Dasani water at the podium. Then on the all page stated they apologized for the delay and stated come up for a complimentary beverage. They then poured the warm water into an airline cup and handed them out.

Another one I recall was having to stay another night as I was flying back with my dad. The weather in Great Falls, MT was not good. They literally informed us that if they couldn’t land in GTF they would fly to another airport. They said it could be Missoula or Idaho falls. Both of which are hours of driving away. They informed us there would be no remuneration if they had to land somewhere else and we would have to find away to get back to GTF ourselves on our dime. We were both up and I called CET and got a comped room so we stayed until the next day.

@Gaggles had a flight cancellation in Vegas. They said to go find a room up to a set amount and bring the receipt tomorrow and we will have a cheque sent to you. I’ve had cancellations in other cities on major airlines and they’ve always found a room for me.

Ok enough ranting...as someone mentioned you get what you pay for. I’ve flown Allegiant for $100 out of gtf or fca, instead of paying $4-$500 out of YYC. You can’t argue that Allegiant is a sub par airline. I’m glad they’re phasing out the MD80s. I think what pissed me off the most in regards to the 60 minutes report was that he FAA didn’t seem to give two shits.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. vegasmacker

vegasmacker Canadian Ambassador for Sully's Bar

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kind of besides the point as I bet AA and Delta have a much better maintenance program when compared to Allegiant.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No doubt.

8. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I read that allegient is too cheap to pay for hotel rooms for their crews, so they always schedule them to return to their home base each day. That's interesting.

9. joaks

joaks desert tortoise

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My time in vegas or on vacation anywhere is worth more than a chance on Allegiant.

I only fly Delta or Southwest because generally, if there is a grounding issue, I will be on another airplane with just a 4-12 hour delay. With Allegiant, they don’t move planes around or bring another in. Your option is refund or wait to see if there is a vacancy on the next flight (which in our market is only 2x a week). And there’s no guarantee the flight in 3 days has room for the displaced passengers.

After all the safety stuff from Tampa and 60 minutes, I don’t need further justification. Hit piece or not, they are teetering on the edge of customer and employee safety.

(Edited to change 48 hours to 60 minutes...doh)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  10. gs32794

gs32794 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem may not be moot with the retiring of the MD 88s.

Consider the footage the woman had of the engine failure during take off. The burst of flames came trailing from under the wing. Since the MD 88's engines are on the tail, the incident occured on an Airbus. Those aircraft were recently purchased from Cebu Pacific, the Phillipine low cost carrier.

1. Were the aircraft properly maintained by Cebu?
    2. More importantly, is Allegiant simply carrying on with unsafe maintenance practices with the newer aircaraft?

11. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only thing new that I learn was that the FAA has been covering for Allegiant. Other than that, I did not learn anything new. I have no reason to ever think about flying Allegiant. Allegiant is and will always be on my no fly list.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So what? I could give a rat's-ass if the person sitting next to me meets a minimum net-worth test. I care that the plane will get me and the rest of the passengers, both high-brow and low, from Point A to Point B safely and on-time... primarily safely. It's my hope that Allegiant, will use this embarrassing expose by 60 Minutes to make some changes and that the FAA gets off their butts to ensure that happens.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Like Like x 2
  13. roycpa

roycpa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's hard to discuss this without getting political. The FAA certainly gets a black mark here - other government agencies seem to have the same issues, both now and in the past. It's also hard to call this a hatchet job (as some of the previous comments do) when Allegiant was given every opportunity to respond, and didn't have anything to say. I suspect they will be soon saying that they will do better, and that the MD 80's will be gone, but by then their other planes will need maintenance more frequently as well. I say this, while we have a daughter and two grandkids who fly twice a year on Allegiant, since they are the only NS from Vegas to our local airport. Yes we do worry!

14. IxAccDnf

IxAccDnf VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Im probably the only one here with an allegiant airplane wallapaper on my laptop...no joke
    Had it for around 5 years... nice daylight picture with a giant moon out and a " mad dog' climbing after takeoff appearing to head right towards it......carry on

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  15. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One big problem with the FAA and other agencies like the FDA is that Congress has water down their enforcement power so much that they have little recourse but to ask bad businesses to change practices. Look at auto safety recalls to see how little power these government agencies have.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Vegasman

Vegasman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now they fly crappy new planes.:wink2:

17. Vegasman

Vegasman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One also sometimes runs into arrogance and elitism while traveling as well.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Vegasman

Vegasman Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Reminds me of the movie Space Cowboys. Sinatra's Fly me to the moon and Tommy Lee Jones riding a rocket!

19. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ronc said: "Travel used to be exciting. People dressed to travel because it was special. I traveled halfway around the world before I was 7. It was amazing. Now it is just like riding a Greyhound with jet engines."

The "world" has gotten smaller.
    Air travel has become the norm rather than the exception.
    You want "special" in air travel, then book a private jet.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Last week I flew to Atlanta from Trenton on Frontier. I paid $20 extra each way for row 2 and 3 seats and the extra legroom. Bought an underseat bag 18x14x8 on Amazon (thanks to some fine VMB’rs). My total fare was $113. Greyhound would have been $124.

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.