1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

The mass shooting near Mandalay Bay

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by grosx2, Oct 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I’m actually all for this..I see no reason for people to have multiple bags and backpacks on them, when just “wondering the strip”

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. kleland

kleland Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My son and I had a similar incident at BWI a couple of years ago, but it went way differently. Someone had left a duffel bag near the luggage carousel. We reported it to a security guard walking by and next thing we knew they had dogs and TSA was surrounding it and clearing the area. Turned out it was just a bag someone had accidentally left behind for 2 hours. They had come back for it as it was being inspected. They had a to answer lots of questions. It made our 6 hour layover more interesting to say the least.

3. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    i got a you tube video in my email about a cab driver that was in the area.....
    you would not believe the comments below it from the conspiracy people..

i won't post the link, but they are out there...way way out there.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Went to the bank yesterday to get my bankroll. I got my first "you're still going after all that, wow" comments.

I'm sure it won't be the last

• Like Like x 1
  5. martinr

martinr Rock Chalk Jayhawk

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't have the stats, but regularly guns and other dangerous items are confiscated at the security check areas in airports. Of course, the owners claim they forgot they had them in their carry on bags. Breaches in the security have taken place, usually without incident. But, to answer your question, I am not putting the perception of security on TSA or any other agency. Rather, the process of being vigilant in ridding airports of dangerous potential situations that could be carried further into a plane, regardless of the safety in the cockpits.
    Your feeling that people travelling on planes are not threatening and that the environment in an airport is largely safe, needs to be compared to hotels, since we're discussing that as well. There is virtually no perception of security screening in the hotel industry for guests checking in. After an event as we just experienced, this makes hotels potentially more vulnerable than airports, with the airport security that exists. So, is this isolated incident going to just be taken in stride and dismissed as an anomaly? The airport security measures were originally put in place to thwart a hijacker from carrying out a plan onboard a plane. The public needed to travel and it needed oversight and processes to maximize safety. Hotels, on the other hand, have never considered the need to screen what is carried into the guest rooms. There may be signs posted regarding this issue.but, without enforcement and scrutiny, anything goes apparently. And, the solution being discussed is so outrageous, searching luggage before a person is allowed to go to their room, that the knee-jerk reactions are impractical and probably unnecessary.

First Time Staying on the South End. Will I Hear Southern Accents?
  6. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Merely as a point of reference. I was assigned to replace an in-house Systems Engineer (who was on vacation) at Rhythms Netconnections in Englewood, CO the week of April 19th, 1999.

That was the week of the Columbine High School massacre. (April 20, 1999) It was only 15 miles away. That was a very rough week to work.

• Wow! Wow! x 2
  7. NewOrleansSlimm

NewOrleansSlimm VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that video is all over, nothing special with it, and the conspiracy people will never stop for any major incident...hell they leaked out pictures of the shooter after he killed himself...

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow, local news
    Look how close the MB is to the airport with the President coming in.:nono:

9. luck.ofthe.draw

luck.ofthe.draw VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Love Love x 2
  10. Mitkraft

Mitkraft VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure I understand your post. Are you saying the local news pointed out how close MB was to the airport he was coming to? Yeah, all news outlets do dumb ass things like that ALL THE TIME. There are no proper gatekeeper type editors in there anymore who filter/prevent that stuff before it gets said/printed. I miss the days of the REAL journalists and editors. Have you read any of the accounts of Woodward and Bernstein and the whole watergate reporting? They really agonized over things before printing them. If that was today some schmuck twit would have tweeted it before Deepthroat even left the garage. Verification be damned. Just like we’ve seen played out here with this tragedy. News outlets getting info from social media and then reporting it. It doesn’t help when they say “as seen on social media” because people don’t hear that part and just think what was said was fact.

11. Drewm1972

Drewm1972 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Oh yeah there’s always conspiracy theory doesn’t matter people will come up with it... all kinds excuses.
    Anyhow, I really wonder what triggered this guy to commit such evil act? What’s crazy is that he really planned this out? What a freaking mad man!

12. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sure hope so. That's what it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've spent more time reflecting on this tragedy in this thread than I have accessing cable and network news, Twitter feeds, YouTube vids and chasing after the bounty of spurious websites where crackpots and conspiracy nuts (interchangeable, I know) hold forth. For me, I never get the fixation. Maybe it's the hard-news guy in me; give me the Times, the Journal. What truly is to learn or absorb in the massed clutter and the minutiae? Once we take in the toll on humanity, do we really gain anything from knowing what type of toothpaste the fucker used?

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I carry a small leather back pack purse when in vegas to carry my personal items and anything I may buy along the way.

• Like Like x 1
  15. The Stig

The Stig VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got asked if I would being going back again.. I replied with a definite yes. Although with my Atlantic City trip this month I wont be back in Vegas until Feb. I do wish that I had the time to go sooner. I would go back tomorrow if I could.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's where we are at now. It's sad. I watched some of the news shows, and they are simply ghouls. Asking horrified witnesses to this tragedy, "Did you see any bodies?"

"What were you feeling at that time?"

Just sick.

Then, they loop footage of bodies being carted off by other guests for us.

Sad.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Wow! Wow! x 1
  17. jacih

jacih Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi @smerrian... just wanted to check in with you. How are you feeling? Head over to go see a counselor if possible. Very possible to experience acute stress even if you weren't directly exposed to what was happening outside, and speaking to someone pretty quickly can help you figure out if you need to seek out some more counseling when you get back home. Don't negate your experience. Take care of yourself.

• Like Like x 2
    • Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are they supposed to ask?

How is your day going?
    What did you have for breakfast?
    Why are you so sweaty?

They've agreed to be interviewed. Both sides know the deal.

19. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I should have been more clear. I meant purses and backpacks, not luggage. I would guess that almost every woman carries a purse and I see men carrying backpacks quite often. I think it's an overreaction.

I would believe it. I've seen some serious crazy online in the last few days. I am working really hard to confirm and reconfirm all the information I'm reading, but it's difficult. I was in a total panic, trying to follow twitter during the event. I had friends in town and knew lots of VMBers were there too. When I was hearing about almost a dozen events up and down the strip, I couldn't even breathe. I reached out to find more info and couldn't find confirmation. I know people here were posting the same info and I was constantly trying to keep unfounded info out of this thread at the time.

I'm getting some of that soon too. I have a meme that seems to come up in my Facebook memories every year when I'm getting ready to head out for our fall trip. I shared it and said, "Why yes, I am headed to Vegas in a few weeks" and my DMs blew up with friends saying "NO!! It's too dangerous!" My mom emailed me Monday morning to ask if I was still going. The only person who didn't seem to want to talk me out of it was my sister, because she knows that's a lost cause. :)

Dan and I have had a fun time watching the news and guessing which news person has no idea what Vegas even is and those who have been there before. People said he was in Vegas to play poker (um... video poker isn't poker). Another who said she was reporting from in front of Mandalay Bay (Um, the gas station on LVB and Sunset is not at MBay). It just went on and on. It's funny, until you stop and think about how stupid it is.

Another note: I was showing Dan a photo to help him understand where everything was in relation to the concert grounds and the hotel. He saw Delano and said, "What's that new tower?" I had to remind him he hasn't been to Vegas with me since 2003. A few things have changed since then. :haha:

--------

I'm really interested to hear what the girlfriend has to say about the shooter now that she's back in the US. Saw an interview with her sisters, but I'm giving that as much weight as I do the discussions with the shooter's brother. *grain of salt* I wonder if we will get any information about that today. I'm guessing not a lot of updates with the President coming in to visit. Most other Vegas news may get back-burnered because of that. I'll keep my eyes peeled for some more concrete information.

20. olddaddy

olddaddy Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know this is a different time but it just amazes me that everyday people are taking video, knowing that people are being shot next to them. I would think people would have more important things to do rather than taking video.

• Agree Agree x 2
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.