1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

R&R a.k.a. Gamble and Drink

Discussion in 'Vegas Trip Reports' started by CLE_Greg, Aug 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLE_Greg

CLE_Greg 100% Full Blown Degen

Trips to Las Vegas:

My Trip Report

Here we are again! We leave in just over 50 hours for the land of hopes and dreams. My wife and I travel to Vegas every December to wrap up the year and mentally prepare ourselves for Holiday season and all of the family that comes along with it. Every so often, we are lucky enough (or burnt out enough with work) that we plan a quick mid-year trip. Burnt out is an understatement this year as we have both been putting in some extremely long hours and finally said "F-It" and planned a 4 day mid week visit just to unplug, relax, and take lots of naps. For both our sanity, and the general well being of our respective co-workers, this trip is necessary.

This will be our first stay at the Cosmopolitan and we are both looking forward to something new after years of CET loyalty. One long (and rather expensive) night playing VP at the chandelier bar back in December earned us a marketing offer for 4 comped nights in a Terrace One Bedroom with all fees waived (Not quite worth what we lost, but a surprisingly nice offer none the less). Not overly happy with our new "host" at CET, we decided to give up on the free play and likely back end comps and try out something new. I'm sure we will be back to CET soon, but the folks in the Cosmo marketing department caught us at the right time and have the chance to win us over.

I hope to provide a live TR as I have enjoyed reading so many in the past however I have failed at this twice. I will do my best to go live, but in the event I fail yet again, I promise a full TR upon my return. I think I've mastered the app, so thats one step in the right direction.

Tomorrow we do laundry, pack, shop, and clean the house. Monday we struggle to tie up loose ends at work and try to set the table for 4 days out of the office, and then we board a SWA 737 before the sun comes up on Tuesday AM. Departure time currently scheduled for 6am CLE time, landing us at LAS around 7:30a PST. I travel nearly every week and have status on AA but with SWA offering a direct flight first thing in the morning, I'll put up with no upgrade possibility and not being "special" for a few hours :)

Solid Plans Include: (everything else we play by ear)
    4 Nights at Cosmo
    A Breakfast at Mon Ami Gabi
    Dinner Thursday with our local Vegas friends from college at Herbs and Rye
    Cabana Wednesday at Cosmo Pool
    Lots of Slots, VP, and some BJ and 3CP
    At least 4 mid-day Naps
    Continue our multi-year search for the best Bloody Mary in Vegas (I heard on this board that the SLS serves up a mean Bloody... so we will likely kill two birds by Monorailing to the SLS as I've never been there nor have I ever taken a ride on the tram)

I am opening this tread up now so that I can easily find it on my app. More details as they happen. My writing style isn't going to win any awards so I'll do my best to post pictures as well. Anyhow, happy reading and I'll check back in soon.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're going to love the cosmo if you have only been staying at CET. Ask for a fountain view if it isn't already part of the comp.

Momofuku is a new spot that was good food and STK is another high recommendation.

Can't wait to read and see more!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. john1516inny

john1516inny High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Definitely try STK, very good food. We always make it a point to have at least one dinner there. If you do, ask for Allison to serve you, she is one of a kind, will make the dinner outstanding!

4. CLE_Greg

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks VegasDave and John1516. Both places look awesome. STK might have to make it on the schedule for dinner one evening. We were also looking at China Poblano for lunch one day. It looks like an interesting concept.

The only other solid plan dinner plan we have is to visit Gordon Ramsey's Pub over at Cesars. It's the only place I know of in Vegas to get a Scotch Egg... Heaven on a plate.

• Like Like x 1
  5. DrLect

DrLect Winning!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Please hurry and leave already! I am eager to share your Cosmo experience!

6. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have a fantastic trip!

7. amk121

amk121 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Enjoy your trip!

8. CLE_Greg

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell me about it. We are counting down the minutes. Wifey and I just finished the required pre trip shopping (aka wife bought another new pair of shoes) and I we are finishing up laundry now. One more long day of work tomorrow, a trip to the bank, dry cleaners, and packing are all that stand between me and 4 days of being a complete degenerate.

• Like Like x 1
  9. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tell her to break those things in in the next 40 hours. Wearing new shoes in Vegas is a bad idea.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. CLE_Greg

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good Call. It's become somewhat of a tradition at this point. She always buys a new pair the day or two before we leave for Vegas (Because the suitcase isn't heavy enough already)... I voted for the sexy red stilettos to be worn up in the room. I was vetoed yet again and new top siders it is. I'll win one of these years...

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll be following along...it should help get me through until I arrive Friday! :thumbsup:

Have fun and win some $$$!

12. D in the D

D in the D Oldest ride, Longest Line

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Subscribed to this trip report. Looking forward to plenty of slot and VP winning pics.

13. jcombs

jcombs Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    GR Pub at Caesars is one of the few places out there that really let me down. We burned our $100 diamond dinner there, and it wasn't bad, it was just a bit plain. Between Bangers and Mash, Shepherds Pie, and Fish and Chips, you'd think a pub of that reputation could make one of the three outstanding, but all 3 were a perfect "meh". Didn't try the Scotch Egg, so maybe those are good.

14. VegasFirstTimer

VegasFirstTimer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

15. CLE_Greg

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The rest of the menu is just as you say, pretty basic and nothing to wow you. That said, nothing beats a soft boiled egg inside of a ball of sausage, breaded and then deep fried. It certainly not cardiologist approved but damn is it good for your soul. A good scotch egg will change your outlook on life. It's as close to a religious experience as I've ever had. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. The Rumor

The Rumor VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Caesars GR place has bad reviews all around if I remember correctly. Sorry to hear it wasn't better for you.

17. CLE_Greg

Trips to Las Vegas:
    VegasFirstTimer - No the Cabana wasn't comped. We reserved directly with the pool staff. As I mentioned we don't have a host there yet as this is our first stay with Cosmo. Hoping to love it and see many more. I'm interested to see how this stacks up to CET. Maybe we'll get it comped on the back end or next time, but at this point I wouldn't expect that kind of offer above our room and fees, and $350 for a full day of R&R is well worth paying for. (Also, that's probably getting off cheap compared to 8 hours of gambling)

18. CLE_Greg

Trips to Las Vegas:
    WORK IS DONE! Less than 12 hours until board the plane, and "race the sun to the pacific horizon" (bonus points for anyone who can correctly attribute that quote)...

Obligatory BR picture... I might be weird but hate traveling with large sums of cash. While I remember very little from my first trip to Vegas, I do remember my buddy getting pick pocketed for a few grand somewhere between getting off the flight and checking into the hotel. (Before you ask where a 21 year old gets that kind of cash, it was student loan money meant for books and rent...needless to say neither of us were stellar students at the time... or ever if I am being completely honest). It was almost certainly his fault for not protecting that kind of cash, but none the less, since then I usually only bring enough to not have to hit up an ATM on day one. I always call and raise my ATM limit before we leave and use that as a way to manage my BR throughout the trip.
    [​IMG]

Anyway, thanks for following along and as I said, I will do my best to keep this live and add as many semi-appropriate pictures as possible. I'm not sure what the rules around this board are so I'll do my best to watch my language as well?. The fact that I've made it this many posts without dropping the F-bomb is a low grade miracle. Is there a way to mark these NSFW so that I can tell you all how I really feel?

Attached Files:

• br.jpg
      br.jpg
      File size:
      179.2 KB
      Views:
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Happy travels, CLE_Greg! :D

RICHARD

20. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Right there with you on a Scotch egg.
    My grandfather (1st generation Scotsman) loved trying them out at every pub he visited that offered them. That would be LOTS of pubs. :beer:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.