1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

In search of raw oysters, crab legs and other seafood

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by tominiowa, Jun 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tominiowa

tominiowa High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My favorite is the Orleans for the money as they have large oysters. But they are still down as far as anyone knows. M is good but no raw oysters and long drive. Aliante has raw oysters but they are way too small and bland. Rio is pricey and quality has slipped IMHO from last year when I was there. Caesars is too much of hassle with lines and all, plus pricey. Does Bellagio or Wynn have raw oysters? I know crab legs are there. Guess I want seafood buffet. What is your guys opinions?

I am an oyster man and wife needs crab legs warm. Other fresh fish would be nice. We do not eat sushi , so wide variety there is not important to us.

Thanks in advance for the suggestions

PS I have vacation home so travel is good anywhere (except M which is one hour away) and it can be any night of week. Shucks is good for menu but we want more variety and an occasional buffet, if nice is a treat.

2. nickle

nickle Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Gold Coast has buffet with both crab legs and raw oysters on Friday nights. I don't know quality as I didn't try them. My wife had crab legs and said it was a lot of work for a little meat:feedme:

3. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMHO, one of the problems with buffets serving raw oysters is that they tend to pasteurize them, which (also) IMHO, tends to ruin the flavor. IMHO, pasteurization takes away the brininess, and a lot of the flavor of an oyster.

I haven't found a buffet yet that is serving "real" raw oysters, although admittedly, I haven't made the rounds lately since I have stopped eating at seafood buffets (with the exception of Rio).

4. andyg99

andyg99 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The Oyster Bar in Harrah's - fresh oysters, amazing seafood risotto... I try to go once at least every trip

Vegas Trip #57
    Vegas Trip #58, Sammy Hagar
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Vegas55

Vegas55 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with Andy on The Oyster Bar at Harrahs. Have had many oysters there as well shrimp crab, clams, etc.. Always fresh and great service at the bar.

6. BlacklabberMike

BlacklabberMike MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    give the oyster bar in harrahs a shot

oops, while i was typing a couple others did

7. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hard Rock just opened a new Oyster Bar, which is located just inside the separate entrance to the HRH Tower on Harmon. That tower has it's own valet and free-parking and the restaurant is literally just steps inside. The food was outstanding! My lunch "date" had the oysters and was very happy. Though I suppose if you've gone that far, it's not too much further out to The M.

https://www.hardrockhotel.com/las-vegas-dine/oyster-bar.php

8. RPMCanes

RPMCanes VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe's Seafood in the Forum shops.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. cmani

cmani Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 for Oyster Bar at Harrah's as well as Joe's Seafood & Steak at Caesars (get the stone crabs).

I'd also throw in Big Al's Oyster Bar at the Orleans.

10. IHeartDancers

IHeartDancers High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was at the Bellagio mid June, they had oysters, but they were so dried and shrivelled that I didn't even bother with them. They had warm and cold crabs legs though.

11. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Emerils Fish House at MGM had $1.50 oyster happy hour, but with MGM's surge pricing scheme, it's difficult to verify.

As for pasteurized oysters, unfortunately this is due to the vibrio bacteria that increases as the water temps go up. They put a rubber band around the oyster and heat them up in a water bath to kill off the bacteria, then they are chilled (hence the Gold Band oysters at Palace Station). These oysters are typically from the Gulf states. One of the reasons for not eating Oysters in months without an "R" way back when. But today, oysters are iced down shortly after harvest and kept cold along the way. If you get something that is from the east coast, Prince Edward Island to Virginia, you should be fine. West coast oysters tend to be smaller. They say don't eat an oyster on a Monday, because it's been sitting around for awhile. Not sure if I believe that one.

I once asked the waiter if he had crab legs, he said no, I'm breaking in a new pair of shoes.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Knucklehead69

Knucklehead69 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Aria buffet has great seafood. I didn't have any oysters but lots of people were eating them.

13. file1040

file1040 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had great buffet experience at Aria a couple weeks ago. Went on a Saturday at about 8pm. Buffet was busy but not packed. 5 minute wait for a booth. Gotta say the seafood was really good. The display of oysters, mussels and clams was impressive and looked fresh and clean. I'm no expert, but the oysters tasted like the sea. I asked the attendant if he could load up a plate of Alaskan King Crab on my plate and he opened the container, took out a heap and plated them for me. The display was a little picked over and after he plated my KC he overfilled the buffet. Aria has my vote.

14. Its Only Money

Its Only Money VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Todd English P.U.B. in Crystals has $2 oysters and I think they are pretty good. They usually have both east and west coast. We tend to stop there every other trip or so and have never been disappointed with them. I still haven't been to Harrah's for theirs yet though.

15. stiles525

stiles525 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back in May MGM had both the oysters and crab legs. They would steam 1 plate at a time of the crab legs. it was a good Buffett not the best I have had but good and had what you are requesting.

16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fremont and MSS have seafood buffets. I know Fremont has them on Tuesday and MSS on Friday but I think Fremont also has them on Friday. They have snow crab legs so you have to take a lot to get a few mouthfuls. Price at Fremont is better, MSS price depends on what cardholder level you are.

17. Maria Corpuz

Maria Corpuz Newbie

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Do they have raw oysters on Monday nights? Also, by chance do you know if they have fried oysters?

18. Sisyphus

Sisyphus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure about the raw oysters on Mondays, but they do have fried ones. I haven't had fried oysters in years; I might have to replace one of my usual dinner spots with Oyster Bar when I'm there in a few weeks.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  19. Don the Dentist

Don the Dentist LV resident

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife and I absolutely love the raw oyster appetizer at the Silverado steakhouse in the South Point. Plump and juicy. The horseradish will kick your ass and clean your sinuses!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.