1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Southwest Airlines - check-in/EB

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by LV2GAMBLE, Jul 13, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, I just booked my first trip using Southwest. At that time I purchased early bird for both of us. One thing I read is that I don't have to check in 24 hours prior and that EB will automatically check me in. Other correspondence is telling me that I have to check in 24 hours prior to determine boarding priority.

I know we have plenty of experts here that use Southwest often. So, how is it done??

Thanks for your help. Not flying to Vegas on this, but to JAX in early 2018 for a cruise and the Daytona 500.

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You have to check in to find out what your boarding number is.

You are automatically checked in before the 24 hour mark so you are behind the A1-15 but ahead of everyone else.

Your boarding position is dependent on where you are in the "early bird line".

3. Tarstarkas

Tarstarkas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    From what I understand EB will auto set your boarding priority but you have to check in to get boarding passes.

4. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is from southwest site:
    Do I need to check in online if I purchased EarlyBird Check-In?

No, EarlyBird Check-In® Customers will be checked in automatically and receive a reserved boarding position 36 hours prior to their flight's scheduled local departure time. Boarding Passes can be printed beginning 24 hours prior to the flight's scheduled local departure time. You can obtain a boarding pass at the Ticket Counter, Skycap Podium (where available), or online at Southwest.com.
    -----------

@LV2GAMBLE - you will automatically be checked in if you purchased EB, but to find out what your actual boarding positions are, you can log on beginnining 24 hours before your flight to either print your boarding pass or just to determine your boarding position, so in a sense, you are 'checking in' but your boarding position has already been preassigned for you. You can wait and print your boarding pass at the airport. Or use the SWA Mobile app and use your smart phone for check in as well as boarding if you prefer paperless.
    Passengers who purchase EB get their boarding position assigned 36 hours prior to flight but can't log in until 24 hours prior to see it. Passengers who don't purchase EB will log in at 24 hours to actually check in and have a boarding position assigned at that time. EB always boards before non EB. EB has become very popular with SW.

Southwest boards 'pre boards' and then by numbers A1-15 (Business select/A list) then A16-30, A31-60, then families with small children, then B1-30, B31-60, etc. - passengers line up in numerical order, first the A's, then the B's, then the C's.... Once on the plane, you choose any available seat which is why EB is so popular...last on the plane gets the worst seat - which means different things to different people...

Hope I got that right, if not, others will set it straight :D.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. idtwins

idtwins Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say very well put @Geogran!

On my last 2 trips, this is the reason I used early bird: didn't want to have to remember to check in 24 hours ahead of time while in Vegas. I know it's a small task but it's just nice to not have to remember it!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd say that pretty well sums it up. I have never actually even checked in until I have arrived at the airport or close to it when riding the transfer shuttle. Sometimes at the kiosk, sometimes on my phone.
    EB does not guarantee you an A boarding position -some people have received low B's. I have never encountered that. I believe the worst position I have ever received was in the A30's.

7. jgates8

jgates8 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    duplicate

Last edited: Jul 13, 2017
  8. Tex

Tex VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most people forget.
    That's why I can always get A when leaving Vegas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Even with EB I check in ahead of time just in case there's a problem with the flight or my ticket.
    Plus I like to know my boarding position ahead of time. In March SWA accidentally deleted my
    ticket. I couldn't check in on my iPhone so I called. It took me about 90 mins to sort out.

10. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We are on the same wave length there @idtwins - I forgot to mention that is a big reason we like EB - so we don't have to think about it on the return portion of the trip - especially when in Vegas...:woohoo:

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. LV2GAMBLE

LV2GAMBLE Certified LOW Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all you replies. On the return flight we are coming from a cruise and fly out 4 hours after pulling into port. Was wondering how I was going to get checked in and didn't want to pay for internet while at sea.

12. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Obviously not necessary with EB, but you can give your info to a trusted friend who might be in a better position to check you in for the 24 hour thing. Before Early Bird my co-workers and I would check each other in because we worked 24/7.

• Like Like x 1
  13. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We occasionally purchase Early Bird for the exact reason you listed here - we are on a trip or cruise and may not be in a position to check in right at the 24-hour mark. Essentially, in this case you are paying for convenience and peace of mind along with the earlier slot.

If you are a novice with SWA then I also recommend that you download the app on your smart phone. It makes checking in a snap and you can immediately put your boarding pass in your "wallet".

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.