1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Video Poker Orleans Video Poker Tournament

Discussion in 'Video Poker' started by leo21, Jun 19, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got an offer for a VP tourney at Orleans but VP isn't my game. Curious to hear if anyone has done one and what they thought. I'm mostly afraid I will make a fool of myself because I really only know Deuces Wild and I am so-so at it. Maybe it will be worth training up for if I knew what it expect.

2. dex844

dex844 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You don't need expert ability to win a typical video poker tournament. If possible, I would suggest arriving a little early to watch other players before sitting down for your own session. The structure will include some combination of a time limit and/or a credit allocation, and you want to figure out whether it's necessary to play fast.

The game variant will most likely be Double Double Bonus, so you usually want to hold cards giving you a chance to make quads. It would be unusual to find a wild-card game in a tournament.

3. Rush

Rush MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's three free nights!

4. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I played a daily tourney at the Orleans once and it was a 200 hand limit in 15 minutes.

The game should be 9/6 DDB. Here is a ~simple, modified strategy I would suggest for this. Pick the highest hand possible.

Dealt Quads or better (hold kicker if applicable)
    4 to a Royal
    AAA (never hold kickers when drawing to quads)
    Full House
    Flush
    Straight
    3 of a kind
    4 to Straight Flush
    AA
    Two Pair
    3 to a Royal (biggest change for tourney play)
    KK-JJ
    4 to a Flush
    22-TT
    4 to Outside Straight
    3 to straight flush with any high cards
    2 to a Royal without a ten
    4 to inside straight with 3+ high cards
    3 to straight flush with 0 or 1 gap
    Ace only
    Two off suit high cards
    QT, KT suited
    King, Queen, Jack
    3 to straight flush w/2 gaps
    4 to inside straight with no high cards
    Nothing

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did this a few years ago. We played 2 rounds, one each day. They lasted about 15 minutes and we did it in a big group. There was a couple of groups per round and they assign you a time. If I remember correctly, when they post your score, it is by your card number. You have to go pretty fast and you may find it a faster pace than you are comfortable with. I would brush up on some DDB if I were you. BTW, I never even got close to being in the money. I skipped the after party and there were no ramifications. Have fun with it!! Good Luck!

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  6. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also another important thing to mention is that hitting the deal/draw button after a winning hand will skip the count up process. This will help you play faster.

7. TJC

TJC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    To each their own, but I prefer a go big or go home strategy for Boyd VP tourneys. It varies by the number of contestants and the time allowed, but the math will often justify playing only for royals or premium quads in order to get in the decent money. In my experience, the Boyd banquets after the tourneys kinda suck, so I would prefer to only go if I'm gonna get a decent payout.

Don't be nervous or intimidated. Just go, have fun, and good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. dex844

dex844 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. I've never tried to formulate a tournament strategy, but I think I would run my strategy chart using higher than actual payoffs for the royal and quads.

That's assuming the tournament format allows sufficient time to play the full allocation of credits. If I find a format that emphasizes speed, then I play as fast as possible using a very rudimentary strategy with lots of 5-card redraws.

9. tringlomane

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah if there is no hand limit and you can play a royal and premium quad strategy only much faster, then by all means definitely play that way.

But if you can comfortably complete all your hands, it will depend on prize breakdown. But other than 3 to a royal being better than high pair, I really don't expect huge changes would help you in the tourney much. But I really haven't "done the math" to prove that.

And this is one of the things I have wanted to simulate out and how it affects your average placing in tourneys, but I don't play in enough tourneys to really justify doing it.
    The math justifies it? Have you done simulations or if it's posted somewhere else, where? I'd love to see it.

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Okay, I booked it. I was hoping for an offer from the Silverton but I can't wait on them and I won't have the chance to win a couple bucks from them anyway. I will start working on DDB. If anyone can recommend a decent training app for the Kindle, please call it out.

11. jimboguy

jimboguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't know what apps are available on Kindle (I use iOS), but I like the WinPoker app. I paid about $10 for it a couple years ago.

12. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I played at California, they did 300 hands in twenty minutes. Two hundred hands in fifteen minutes means 800 hands per hour so some may not finish. Your small wins don't keep you alive, you only get the number of hands allotted. With the number of players involved the top money goes to players who hit the Royal. Odds are that many royals will be hit; odds are that you won't hit one. You've got fifteen minutes to hit a Royal, that's all you need to know. It's hard to toss trips, but I'd definitely toss pairs for a Royal draw.

13. dex844

dex844 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good luck!

I'm undecided. There's a lot to consider. Royals are difficult to hit. Starting from a two-card hold, your odds of filling in the other three are 1-in-16,215.

DDB offers other premium possibilities, such as hitting AWAK twice. And for some hands, you may want to try to build your credits so if you hit a royal later in the session, you'll be in good position to outpoint the other one-royal (or two-AWAK) players.

I tried running a strategy analysis with exaggerated values for premium hands, and the results didn't deviate from regular strategy as much as I expected. So I'm tending to agree with tringlomane that only a few adjustments would be required -- at least until the final moments, when desperation sets in.

14. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With DDB you obviously need to play your aces, but straights don't put you in the money. After you finish look at the scores of the top ten players and see how many hit a Royal. Expert play might have gotten me spot thirty-nine instead of sixty-five, but everyone that got paid hit a Royal. Think of it as a random drawing and you're just trying to push your lottery ball closer to the top. Statistically I don't think it's much different than a slots tournament due to your limited sample (if we each played for ten hours we'd learn who was better) and the huge participation sample (many Royals and aces will be hit). But have fun and enjoy the comps, good luck and hopefully there will be an awards dinner.

15. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not a vp player but was invited to a tourney at The Cal finishing 12th out of 250 or so players. By the way 12th paid $100 and 11th paid $250

16. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I really don't think that's possible, unless you try to put money in the machine, As long as you're pushing buttons you will fit in. I played in an afternoon VP tourney at Sam's Town and enjoyed, even though I didn't win anything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.