1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lake Mead?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ValerieJo, Jun 7, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ValerieJo

ValerieJo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We will be there the first week in August. (Yes, I know. I didn't pick the date) We were hoping to spend a day or so out on or near Lake Mead. I looked at boat rentals and they are kind of expensive since there is just two of us. I also looked at the paddlewheel dinner cruise thing, but it's in the evening and the ratings don't appear to be too good.

We will have a rental car. Is there a beach somewhere we can drive too? If we drive out to Lake Mead will be able to find some kind of water/boat excursions available as walk up customers?

Thanks for any suggestions or ideas.

2. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have. Fishing guide I highly recommend if that is your thing

3. ChilliPalmer

ChilliPalmer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Name and website?

Thanks.

4. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://adventureinangling.com

Used him twice... first trip we caught over 100 stripped bass between 3 of us..

Second time fishing was tougher but still over 20...

He is good to he will adjust the time you leave based on fishing conditions.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. snoopydogj

snoopydogj High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    With all the rain-snow last winter & spring, did it help Lake Mead at all with the water level??

6. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    August 1st. Lake Mead.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh, wait. You're serious??!?

7. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    http://graphs.water-data.com/lakemead/

Kinda... but not really in the long term

8. ValerieJo

ValerieJo High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hence the beach question. Is Lake Mead not a good idea the beginning of August? Why? Sorry, we've always gone in October. This is our first summer trip.

9. ardee

ardee It's only money.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kinda hot. Like 112 degrees hot. Like umbrellas won't protect you hot. In August you should be heading up into the mountains if you want an outdoors fix. It's beautiful up high.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. FullPay

FullPay When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also, if you make the mistake of spending all day in the 'shade' you can still get cooked by the reflection off the water.

11. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lake powell(upstream from Mead), will need to fill up first before they would send a lot more water down, powell will get a nice bump this year, it's 16 ft higher than a year ago.

• Like Like x 1
  12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The paddlewheel boat is decent but don't do a dinner cruise. The food is average and why waste time inside eating while cruising the lake? Better to take a non dinner cruise and just enjoy the scenery.

Note though, that boat has been out for repairs for over a month, no word on when it will be back in service.

13. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah the Colorado system will need a lot more winters like this to turn things around.

14. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lets be clear, it's already turned around, refilling it will take time. 9 months ago california was in the midst of a terrible drought that some people said was permanent, now it's over. We cannot predict future rainfall with any certainty.

15. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed... hence point of needing more wet winters.

16. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Lake powell holds about 24 million acre ft of water, lake mead over 25, it's almost inconceivable they could refill quickly, after this wet winter all we can say for sure is that lake mead will probably not drop further for a year or two.

17. KellyLovesVegas

KellyLovesVegas Earthling/retired space nerd

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We love Las Vegas weather in late July through August, but heat doesn't bother us.
    Boulder Beach is the only beach at Lake Mead we've visited. Be aware that it isn't a gorgeous white sandy beach, there are rocks and mud. We were there in October when the weather was in the low-mid 80s and didn't see anyone swimming. The only people we saw in the water (near the beach) were in kayaks.
    If you want to spend time at a nice beach near Las Vegas you may want to consider spending the day at the Mandalay Bay white sand beach and wave pool. I believe non-hotel guests can pay a fee for entrance to the pool complex.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Products-g60881-d983577-Desert_Adventures_Day_Tours-Boulder_City_Nevada.html
    On TripAdvisor I found a company that offers day trip kayak tours. Perhaps someone who has used them can chime in.

Enjoy your trip!

18. wanker751

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Back to the OP, when I fished it was Late July both times and yes it was hot, we were off the water by 11 am, but we survived as well. Boat had no shade.

19. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've swam at boulder beach, it's this side of the dam(just down the hill from boulder), on a red hot day it feels great.

20. NickyDim

NickyDim Hockey is life

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you don't care about your boat being sexy, Las Vegas Boat Harbor rents small pontoon boats, hold 6 and toot along about 20 kts and can take you anywhere in lake mead is $50/hr 2 hour minimum. I think they have a smaller one that holds 4 for $40/hr. It's certainly worth it. We take the family out on the speed boat and it's a blast, but that's $90 hour 2 hr min.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.