1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Unexplained trends at the table

Discussion in 'The Poker Room' started by TRN, May 12, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NeonTurtle14

NeonTurtle14 I Run the Vegas Hotdog Stand

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I doubt there is any math, science, or general logic to these, but weird things I see after playing a lot of live poker:
    • How often two people in the same hand get AA vs KK
    • How often you see an A on the flop when you get KK or similar
    • How there seem to be 1 or 2 hot cards in the deck - like sometimes you'll notice every board has queens or nines on it (or any card) - and this goes on for a long period of time
    • Sort of related to above - how there seems to be 1 or 2 hot seats at the table for an extended period of time - the lucky players in those seats just can't seem to miss getting good hands and connecting with the board
    • How you get good cards in clusters - fold for an hour straight, then wake up to 3-5 great hands in a row - then back to folding for another hour... repeat
    • When my opponent slow plays me, it works for them 105% of the time... when I slow play my opponent, I get counterfeited 105% of the time :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My last WSOP circuit event in Cherokee it was a $365 turbo double stack 20 min blinds but 20k in chips. I was down to a little over 14k in chips at level 12 200/600/1200. Three hands in a row I get AK then KK then JJ . After those three hands I had over $250k in chips. I was like about time after folding what seemed like 95% of my hands prior to that run.

• Like Like x 2
  3. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    And … 90% of the time when I play AQ, a K comes on the flop. I think that I've lost more with AQ than any other hand.

• Like Like x 1
  4. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah good points, another one of those dealer hot card trends I see is a dealer who loves to flop 3 of the same suit. Everyone chases, the good hands are folding, it really changes the dynamic when it happens one time, nonetheless when you get a dealer who can do it every other flop.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. georgesken

georgesken Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Its called variance...

You Will hardly ever See j-3 vs 84 go to A showdown. AA vs KK is usually a preflop or flop allin situation. So you have the impression you SEE these hands more often.

6. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I get it... perception > reality though... seems like I am running into that daily... but I get what you're saying.

By the way if you know the person who is getting in J3 or 84 all in preflop, please point me in their direction so I can book a flight immediately. :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. sabre

sabre Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Math explains every single one of these things ...

• Like Like x 1
  8. georgesken

georgesken Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Also people tend to remember the hands they lost which they should have won because they were a preflop favourite. If you have KK preflop and you win the hand, you Will easily forget About that hand because it was NORMAL you win the hand. But you remember the ones where you have KK andnthe A on the flop Gets you into trouble. Again perception.if you would have statistics About all your KK hands you'll See that you win the majority of those hands.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Can you explain without writing a book? I'd love to learn. I get where statistics and variance in general comes into play (to a degree) but am no expert on this part.

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  10. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I definitely wasn't starting this thread to get into arguments about these - more of a humorous thread about all these facepalms and frustrations we seem to go through at the tables. "unexplained" was a stretch...

I'd still like learn the math side of these if it can be explained to normal-brained people like me :)

11. georgesken

georgesken Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Math behind your second point:

We are in the hand with KK and we have no knowledge of anyone else's cards

There are 50 cards left in the deck (52 - our 2-card hand) and there are 4 aces left in the deck. So there are 46 cards not Aces.

P(Ace)= 1 - P(Not Ace) = 1- (46/50).(45/49).(44/48) = 1- 0.774 = 22.5% or 1 in 4.4

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Except that KK raises / 3 bets pre flop almost always. And hands that call raises and 3 bets skew far more to holdings which have aces. So instead of the hands faced being part of the random unknown cards, they have a higher chance of being aces than the rest of the deck, thus reducing the odds on the flop.

Plus, 22.5% of the time isn't really "often".

The reasons for these trend observations are psychological, not mathematical. Stuff randomly happens, humans innately look for patterns, and beats like Kings vs Aces or Ace high flops with Kings are far more memorable, so while those Kings that won the blinds or a cbet fade into the background, you remember all those tough spots Kings put you in.

All sorts of short term variances will occur in the cards that come up. Noticing them is good fun, as long as you don't project them into the future.

• Like Like x 1
  13. georgesken

georgesken Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Math behind your first point:

In a 10 handed game when you have KK the other players are dealt from a 50 card deck with 4 aces. The chance for AA then to a random hand is 4*3/50/49=0.49%.

So roughly you can say that each player has that chance to get dealt AA. Therefore the chance at least one AA exists out there and you face it is ;
    1-(1-0.0049)^9=4.3%.

14. mikewolf13

mikewolf13 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you hake KK there are 4 aces and 50 unknown cards. The odds the first card of the flop not being an ace is 46/50 . The second one 45/49 and the third 44/48. The odds of all three occurring would be (46/50)*(45/49)*(44/48) or about 77.4% of the time.

So at least one ace will turn up 22.6% on the flop of the time.

• Informative Informative x 1
  15. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Video Poker it always seems the card(s) you wanted turn up in the next hand..Selective memory maybe,but don't deal me the Jack of Clubs next hand when dealt 4 to a Royal and need that card then!

• Like Like x 1
  16. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In live poker it's called Flop-Lag and it definitely needs to be on my list!!!

17. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We all find explainable patterns in the chaos. They're crap, of course, but if not, we'd not do half the stuff we do as humans.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. NeonTurtle14

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sage wisdom applicable to any facet of life :)

19. booker

booker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One trip I played poker and spent a few days at the Red Rock. Within two hours I got all my money in pre-flop with AA vs. KK. In both cases a different woman flopped a K and felted me. The next afternoon …

I get all of my money in pre-flop holding KK against AA. I flopped a K. My opponent was at my table the previous night when I got felted.

BTW, I certainly understood the intended humor.
    On one hand I agree with ken2v. On the other hand, it's all about how the universe conspires against me. :poker:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.