1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Good Long Haul

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by jamesxnj, May 3, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Got in about 5 pm yesterday,bag came out quick and onto Taxi line with no wait.Driver asks where to and I say Rio.Sure enough he heads right to the tunnel entrance and that was bumper to bumper traffic.He then asks what I'm doing in town and I say I come here all the time,and ask him why he's taking the interstate.

He then asks what I normally pay and I say $19..He says if I turn off the meter will I give him $19 in cash.I say sure I'll give you $20..(Meantime I made sure he knew I was taking his ID pix on the dashboard).
    He shuts it off on the interstate just south of Mandalay Bay at $13 and change..We get to the Rio,I give him $20 and he starts with That's it? I just tell him I could call the TA on him and he keeps yapping something in bad English..
    I just head away towards the door.Really did not want to question the tactic while still driving but I was a bit annoyed about the traffic and spoke up..

• Funny Funny x 2
  2. TIMSPEED

TIMSPEED Money’s on the way, with CashNetUSA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Next time, just reach up and give them a Columbian necktie and dump the body...they obviously are a waste of good oxygen

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont get it, i thought he said pay $19, why was he upset with $20?

4. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was confused about it also..Just happy to be there without an altercation really.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  6. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The only way to get the problem drivers to stop long hauling unsuspecting tourists is to call the Taxi Authority on them!
    Sucks to waste time while on vacation.

(I completely understand why so many people who complain about the long haul do nothing about it.)
    How many times can a driver be reported before they lose their job?
    Does the driver or the company have to pay a fine?
    Do they have a 3 strikes system or is it one and done?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
  8. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No and it adds at least $5 to the fare. Having gone both through the tunnel and taking Tropicana to the I-15 during light traffic to Rio I didn't notice a significant time savings to justify using the tunnel. I hope it's not a construction zone through there.

9. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tunneling is happening more and more. Last time with Lyft, we nicely asked to avoid the freeway and take paradise to Harmon to Aria.

Driver sternly said he wouldn't deviate from what his app said...which of course, happenened to be the LONG freeway wrap around. After the "scenic route" he got confused on what streets to take getting off the freeway, and kept taking wrong streets once near the strip. (I felt like we were on the spinning teacups at disneyland, going round and round!)

We finally just had him drop us off at MC since we were already there, and we just walked to Aria through their little passageway.

At least with him, he was young and admitted to "hating going to the strip" and seemed flustered. Why he picked up fare going to the strip? Who knows, but hey.

I love Bell Limo Share for flat rates, but being a big cheapo, getting longhauled still is cheaper, but it still is SUCH a bummer way to start the trip...sorry! :(

10. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They don't get to see where the ride is going prior to accepting. This is so drivers can't avoid pickups just because they don't want to drive somewhere

• Informative Informative x 3
  11. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In Uber/Lyft, it very well could be though. They base the fare off both time and distance. Sometimes these two things contradict, so I don't know which has more weight (does distance raise fare more? or time spent driving?). Perhaps even though it was longer distance, the fare is lower since it was faster...don't know!

12. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That actually helps a TON, and explains a lot. He was so annoyed at going to the strip and kept saying how he hates it. That makes TOTAL sense then if he didn't know until pickup. :)

13. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    How can a guy in vegas be annoyed by people wanting to go to the strip? He must be "annoyed" all day long?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  14. h0llywood

h0llywood VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Like the one time i paid a taxi to drive me across the street. He was so pissed lol.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So the Uber or Lyft driver doesn't know if the trip is across the street or a half hour away?

16. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This. Why drive for Uber/Lyft in Vegas if you don't want to go to the Strip?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. topcard

topcard Here's to $10 3:2 two-deck, $5 Craps, and $5 UTH!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like my cabbie from a few years ago... same deal - going to Rio... I get in, tell him "Rio - no tunnel please".
    He says, "But the tunnel is cheaper to Rio!".
    I said, "Tell you what - I'll give $20 total for the ride - you can take whatever route you want."
    Meter showed $22. He was contrite though, and admitted that he was wrong...he took the $20 I gave him with no complaints.

Annual Spring Trip!
    • Like Like x 1
  18. kewidogg

kewidogg Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Correct. I had a great conversation with a driver when I was in Salt Lake City, going out to Park City (~45 - 1hr drive). They can't see where they are going until they click "accept", and they get dinged for cancelling the ride (exactly like passengers do if you cancel the ride outside of the whatever, 3 - 5 minute grace period you get when you call an Uber/Lyft). I asked how far his longest was and he said once he got a ride that was like a little less than 2 hours. I asked if that's even worth it, because the city he was driving to didn't have Uber in it (so he'd have to drive back, without bringing anyone) and he said that the amount it charged his customer was enough to justify it.

Occasionally, you may request an Uber/Lyft and the driver will actually call you, and tell you a bullshit reason ("hey my check engine light just came on, I need to go get service, I'm really sorry, may I cancel the ride and you click accept?"). I can see right through it (has happened twice) but I get it, some people don't want to drive you. If there are ample other drivers around I'm fine with mutually cancelling the ride. But the way it works is they request a cancel and you either click yes or no. If you click no, they get ding'd.

I'd rather have someone drive me who doesn't mind driving me wherever we are going than a grumpy driver. For the sake of MY OWN rating...if I get a grumpy driver and we have a bad ride he/she could very well rate ME poorly just because they are an asshole.

19. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

You can file a complaint on line at this link:
    http://taxi.nv.gov/Complaints/complaint_form/Complaint/Incident_Affidavit/

For additional info about taxi complaints use this link:
    http://taxi.nv.gov/Complaints/Complaints/

20. Las Vegan Cajun

Las Vegan Cajun High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's true that the fare is based on time and distance, in Las Vegas it's .90 cents a mile plus .15 cents a minute. When the ride starts the .15 cents a minute timer starts also. It runs until the trip is complete, it doesn't matter if the vehicle is moving or stopped the .15 cent per minute timer always runs until the trip is ended by the driver.

A longer route that is faster will still cost more because .15 cents a minute does not add a whole lot to the fare. One would have to be stuck in traffic for at least 30 minutes to make time vs distance cost to make a difference.

The .15 cents per minute is in addition to the .90 cents per mile that is charged to you for the ride. Below is a screenshot from a ride I did yesterday. As you can see in the fare breakdown both time and distance are calculated and charged.

IMG_1157.PNG

If you recognize the destination address, yes it's the Palomino Club. I was hauling a stripper to work, one of the fringe benefits of driving in Las Vegas. :p

• Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.