1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Question about timeshare presentations... i know i know

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by Brookeer, Apr 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brookeer

Brookeer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hubby and I are heading to Vegas soon and will be there for over a week. I was hoping to do a timeshare tour or two for the freebies while we are there. He is sticking to his guns about not bringing any credit cards except for our individual visa debit cards. We meet all the other criteria but was wondering if his not wanting to bring the mastercard will keep us from attending the presentations? I know everyone hates them but we really don't mind one or two for the time we will be there.
    Thanks!

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Not sure what bringing a credit card to a presentation has to do with anything unless they are requiring you to pay for something. If that is the case, run and run fast.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Brookeer

Brookeer Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I believe they require it for identification...I would NEVER hand it over!

4. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't jump on the first one. Ask what they are offering for you to attend.
    Hold out for a Show AND Dinner, not just one.

5. vegasdev

vegasdev VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. if a CC is required to attend, that is one more HUGE reason not to attend. skip it and enjoy your vegas trip. I am frugal and I like free stuff, but I have to pass on this one.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's trouble enough that I know my credit card number!
    I'd rather not have that number in the hands of too many extra folks...

I'd be comfy showing my driver's license to prove my age, but that's about it!

RICHARD

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    IMO, credit cards are less of a liability than debit cards. Regardless, we have only been asked for ID and maybe some down money to do time share tours. This refers to Vegas and other places.

Please come back and share want you learn.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They probably ask for it as a minimal screening tool for credit-worthiness.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would be far more enjoyable sticking pins in your fingers!!! Please don't waste your time attending a timeshare unless you really love arguing with very pushy sales people! You could easily end up ruining your trip with bad memories of unpleasant hours trying to escape the presentation.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Over video tape it and post on YouTube for enjoyment

11. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The freebies may very well end up worth absolutely 0.

12. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like two disparate issues, really. Someone leery of or uncertain about having access to CCs in Vegas and the viability of time spent chasing "freebies" of what value.

13. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I agree, I would never use my debit card when travelling except to get money out of the atm machine. Too much chance for someone to steal your number and drain your account. At least with a cc the crooks will drain the money from the cc company and not your personal account. The worst is if you don't get real time notices from your debit card company if someone racks up bogus charges, you may find out the hard way when you finally get home or get a call about someone racking up charges to your debit card.

At least with a cc it will be that companies' money the crooks are stealing from and up the cc company to remove the bogus charges. With a debit card you have to fight with your company to get your money back. Believe me, I had that happen a decade ago, no fun arriving home from your vacation only to find that someone stole your debit card number and racked up charges against your personal funds. Then you have to wait until it is resolved before you will be able to access that money.

As for the timeshare presentation, go for it! As long as you know what you are getting into and don't mind the hustle and wasted time then best of luck for you. For many of us we don't want to waste our vegas/vacation time just to save a few bucks but for some people on a budget they don't mind doing it.

14. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
  15. joshrocker

joshrocker VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This! If you know what you're getting into then go for it and enjoy the freebies you get out of it.

16. Jon E Coyote

Jon E Coyote Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did the Westgate timeshare and got $100 cash a couple years ago....in 25 trips to Vegas, by far the worst experience I've ever had there, I wouldn't go through that again if they offered me $500, and free passes to every show on the strip. 4 hours I'll never get back.

Never heard of the credit card thing, run and run far!

17. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That was actually a pretty good deal.
    Now many of the presentations give you 2 coupons of show tickets which you even need to pay taxes and handling fees. The face value of the coupon is listed as $50, but in reality you can get the show ticket somewhere for $10-$15 including everything and is cheaper than using the coupon. The coupon's net value is negative.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it takes four hours from portal to portal, and assuming there are two of you, that's only $12.50 per hour. I daresay most people value their vacation time more than that!

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Jon E Coyote

Jon E Coyote Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:

5 more minutes of it and I would have choked the guy out lol

20. fugsworth

fugsworth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did one of these at Excalibur maybe... two years ago? Made 20 bucks while I was waiting for my boyfriend to shake off the night before, got to play with one of those Nielsen dial things, and watched some absolute piece of trash military drama pilot that never saw the light of day. Would do it again, but not for free.

EDC
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.