1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Sugarcane (Venetian)?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by thecarve, Apr 14, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Menu looks interesting. Reviews seem good. Any VMBers have any thoughts?

Yea...nay...?

Thanks a million, gang!

-tc

2. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I booked a reservation based on a few trip reports I saw here and a few other websites for my next trip. I'm pretty stoked about it, but more stoked about Yardbird.

3. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've heard it's very good from friends. I've yet to try it and I always stay at V/P. Lol I may eat there over my stay the end of month, if I can drag myself away from CUT or Carnevino which is where I eat my first night every trip. lol I'm really excited to try CHICA at V/P for Latin cuisine but it won't open til I believe May 12th. I'm there 4/27-5/1 so I'll just miss it. Definitely reserve a table over my June trip though.

4. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yardbird must haves are their version of the BLT! It's my favorite appetizer with the pork belly on a fried green tomato....amazing. The deviled eggs, the sweet and spicy skillet cornbread ( best I've ever eaten) and the baked to order peach cobbler. I'm gonna be honest and tell you I was disappointed in the fried chicken. It's good, but needs better brining and seasoning in my opinion.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Deviled eggs and the skillet cornbread are def. on my list to try! As for an entree, still debating about that.

6. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Look at the BLT appetizer....It's my favorite item in the menu. [​IMG]

• Wow! Wow! x 1
  7. TylerH50

TylerH50 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The menu looks awesome. I've heard good things from folks who are there

8. Hoofy7

Hoofy7 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love tomatoes and they have blistered tomatoes served over ricotta. Yummy. They are above the deviled eggs and BLT apps in my photo. Also pictured are the chicken and biscuit sliders, Llewlyns Fried Chicken, and sweet and spicy skillet cornbread! We ate it all and had peach cobbler for dessert which I took back to room. Forgot to get a photo of it, but it takes 30-45 minutes so you order it when you order your food not after. Very fresh!

9. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You're killing me @Hoofy7. Might have to hit up the one in Miami next weekend when I'm there... haha.

10. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Haven't tried Sugarcane yet but just looked at the menu - the all day menu looks to have something for everyone - would also like to hear what folks think of the food. I see at least 7 or 8 things I want to try :feedme:.

If you try it @thecarve or @JoJoR - pics and review please???

All those Yardbid pics @Hoofy7 posted are makng we want to go back to try more - loved the fried green tomato blt and chicken was good, not memorable. Biscuits? oh yeah!

11. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will do, @Geogran!

Not that I haven't enjoyed reading the responses, but does anyone have any opinions about Sugarcane?

12. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will do my best to remember to take pics.

• Like Like x 1
  13. FYMYAWF

FYMYAWF VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I ate there on my last trip. Had the salmon poke, it was AMAZING, I almost ordered another one. Also had the seafood dip with chips app, it was not as good but still interesting. Only reason I went in honestly was I had just gotten off the plane and needed to get some food in me before hitting the bars, I actually intended to go to Public House but it was overrun by a convention crowd. It was slow in Sugarcane so I gave it a shot and am glad I did.

Interested to see if they will last with all the seemingly thousands of other restos in V/P.

• Like Like x 1
  14. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just hit up Sugarcane in Miami on Friday (no pictures, sorry!). They recommend 2 to 4 plates per person. Here's what we ordered:

• Flap Steak
    • Octopus
    • Beef Short Ribs
    • Yellow Tail Jalapeno Sushi Roll
    • Spicy Tuna Roll
    • Wagyu Slider
    • Pork Belly Dumpling
    • Goat Cheese Croquettes
    • Bacon Wrapped Dates
    I might be forgetting something. I enjoyed almost everything that I had. The octopus and the sushi rolls were just ok, kind of lacked some flavor. I really enjoyed the bacon wrapped dates and the pork belly dumplings. Looking forward to going in Vegas shortly.

• Like Like x 1
  15. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OP here...I had dinner at Sugarcane a few weeks ago. Apologies for not updating sooner.

Overall, I thought it was decent but far from great. Probably a 2.5-3 out of 5. Everything was fine but nothing was noteworthy. Beets lacked flavor, as did the corn. The octopus was tasty but a bit over cooked. The goat cheese croquettes were very good, but far from unique. The torrejas (a French toast-like dessert) had decent flavor. But sooo dry - big time fail by the kitchen. How hard is it to soak some bread in custard for a few minutes?

Cocktails were good, though. I had their take on an old fashion and a bramble - both made with rum. And I usually hate rum.

Service was mixed. Head waiter was gawd awful. But his assistants and the busboys were fantastic. And the hostess was a delight.

Interesting music. Mix of reggae and 80s-90s rap. It brought me back to my high school days. But still kinda lame. Radio-friendly versions of Straight Outta Compton and Nothin' But a G Thang..? :rolleyes2:

• Like Like x 1
  16. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree with you about it being decent. I enjoyed my meal much more in Miami then in Vegas. I don't think I would return to Sugarcane again. Yardbird on the other hand, lived up to the hype.

17. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Carve - thanks for the follow-up report, very interesting.

With so many choices around, having "gawd awful" service is inexcusable.

18. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:

It was a shame that the head waiter was so lame because the rest of the crew was great.

I do wish I wouldn't have been solo because I would like to have been able to try more dishes. Don't know if that would have changed my impression on not. But the menu was fairly unique for a Vegas strip restaurant and plenty of items piqued my interest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.