1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Will lyft do very short trips?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by zoey11, Mar 5, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zoey11

zoey11 Mid roller and Vegas fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Staying comped at Golden Nugget, but have to pay the last two nights. I could book them at the D for free, but with a bad back, can't imagine lugging suitcase that far.
    Was just curious if anyone had ever done such a short trip and paid the driver extra? Sounds silly I know, but it's hard for me to pay for rooms when I can get them free.
    I cant remember how far it would be from GN to walk with a large suitcase on wheels but heavy since I take a fan to drown out noise to the D?
    Thanks for any feedback!

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They will do trips that short. In fact, drivers love it because there is a minimum fee for every trip. So the driver makes their money very fast and can then get another fare

I Need Spa
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's what I was thinking. Give the driver a good rating and a tip and they should be happy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. spicole

spicole No shirt, no shoes... NO DICE!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The D is literally 1 city block from the Nugget. You may end up walking further from your room to the front desk at the Nugget than you will to the check in desk at the D.

I am pretty sure you can get a driver to do it for a charge & tip but is it worth it?

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. JoJoR

JoJoR VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Minimum fare is $5 with Lyft.

6. zoey11

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks! I am in the gold tower, so close to the doors. Maybe I can make it walking. Isn't it funny, to save 200 bucks I would pack up and walk a block, lugging my suitcase. Gamblers mentality I guess!

7. Stephiede1975

Stephiede1975 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I know my driver didn't mind when I went from Mirage to Venetian in August. He was super friendly and even said "I'm glad you didn't cross the street in this heat with you luggage." I usually tip well but I did give more than I normally do, just because.

Spring Trip!
    Spring Trip!
  8. zoey11

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I could. If I was in the Carson tower I would. My son just suggested walking out the front door and paying one of the people asking for tips or money to lug it a block. Think for a 200 savings it's worth lugging it a block. That's a buy in at poker or an hour of slot play possibly, yea, gotta do it! Thanks for the advice though just in case I need it.

9. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can do the walk without an issue. It's all downhill and late morning there won't be much pedestrian traffic to navigate around. It's an easier walk than dragging the same luggage through the airport.

I'd do the same thing to save the money for more exciting use. Good luck. :biker:

10. topcard

topcard It's not really blackjack unless it pays 3:2!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I took lyft from the El-Co to the Golden Gate, as I was kind-of in a hurry (supposed to meet somebody at GG & I was late), and it was in the 40s & windy...and I was wearing a short-sleeved shirt.
    Fare was $6 & I tipped a $1.
    Driver didn't mind at all.

11. zoey11

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks I will play it by ear, appreciate the advice everyone!

12. FullBoat

FullBoat VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey, that's 40 bets at BJ downtown. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most drivers I know (and I know ALOT in my market) hate the minimum fare rides. You wait, wait wait and then get a ride for $4 (min fare in my city) only to get $3 bucks and usually you are driving a bit of a distance (in my city) for that ride. Vegas maybe different.

Now as to will they, they will. Actually they have no clue where you are going until they arrive to pick you up.

14. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have done it from Fremont to MSS because of luggage. No problem tipped $5 and worth it not to lug. I also drive for Lyft/Uber and don't mind if the pick up is only a couple minutes away. When it is 10 or more minutes I don't usually don't accept any ride, unless I think it may be worth it. Downtown you should have plenty of cars within a couple minutes

15. h0und10

h0und10 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They will do it. When you plug in your pick up and drop off area on the app, They only see your pick up area (until they click accept on the fare)

16. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You might be able to have a bellman from the D meet you outside the GN and drag the bag for you. Wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

17. cjlangston

cjlangston Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there's your answer...and you give the $5 to that bellman.

18. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A minimum fare ride stinks for the driver if its on the long end of the minimum fare. But to drive a passenger a block and make four bucks (which is actually the minimum a Lyft driver makes for each fare, not $3) in just a couple minutes, that's fantastic for the driver. Especially since at the end of the ride they are still in an area where it is likely they will get another fare quickly. The longer fares are good too, but only if they end in a spot where the driver can get another fare quickly. The most money a driver makes is in the first mile of any given fare, so the goal is to get as many fares as you can. A $25 fare to the middle of nowhere is terrible for the driver because then they have to drive back to a more popular area to get their next fare

I Need Spa
  19. nhanna45

nhanna45 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good info. I plan on using a service to go from South Point to the M next weekend

20. zoey11

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all of the advice, I think I can lug it that far, but if not, always nice to know. I would definitely tip at least 5 bucks or more if I used them. Appreciate all of you guys!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.