1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

WooHoo! I just qualified for Companion status on SWA for 2017

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Dec 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure how, but they sent me an email today saying I qualified through 12/31/17. I have 129,000 miles in my account, but the majority of that is from the SWA CC.

I just got a SWA CC business account and come January, that will get me another 50,000 miles on top of the 129k, but that is not added in there yet.

I guess I'll never understand their program. Thinking out loud...If through a combination of that 50k and charging another 40k and then flights of another 30k, could I get another one for 2018, if I go over 120k?

SWA seems swamped today both on phone and on-line. I've been waiting an hour for a call-back from customer service and they said it would be within 15 mins.

I've got a flight booked for April with points. I know I can cancel that and lose EB, but rebook with Companion status for just one fare now.

SWA just called. Our Feb trip that we paid cash for...they cancelled out her fare of $365 and she now has a credit for that amount that she needs to use before 9/9/17. Maybe she can go visit her sister in TX.

• Like Like x 2
  2. bubbakitty

bubbakitty Doing retirement again and happily so....

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats Joe. Why don't you come with her and we can tour the state? Pick up some pecans. That is a great deal for a year. Go monthly and make up for the November nightmare. Swa has to be close to the best for simply situations like this. And no resort fees!!

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Take a deep breath.

Read the rules, or check out some blogs/posts here or flyertalk.com

110,000 on ONE SINGLE year gets companion for the rest of the current year, and all of the next.

(I think you are trying to combine multiple years, events, etc)

4. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats!! It definitely is a fun year to have companion. Those Vegas trips become a whole lot easier on the point bank!

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    OK, just forget my 2018 question. Tell me how I qualified for 2017.

6. wishman35

wishman35 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    In your account section - what does it say for your companion pass total earned this year? Your flights and rapid rewards visa spending will combine to count towards it.

7. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Companion pass is good for the remainder of the year acheived (ie earned 110,000 points, and it does not matter if cc or travel) plus the entire following year. Assuming you earned the 129,000 points in your account (or at least 110,000 of them) in 2016, then you earned the companion pass for the remainder of 2016 and all of 2017.

The optimum play for the companion pass is to earn it in the beginning of the year. Properly done, you can get close to 2 years of companion travel.

Congratulations,

Bruce

8. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Congrats Joe! That's awesoem

9. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would guess you hit 110,000 points before the end of the year. Look at your online statement(s).

10. imderekpoe

imderekpoe Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love the companion pass! I got mine by transferring Marriott points over to SW. It cost me about 300k Marriott points, but I get a ton for work so that's not a big deal. And I did it at the beginning of this year, so I get 2 years of the companion pass for those points. Definitely worth it for my wife and I!

11. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ditto.

12. highlow

highlow Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember, that you MUST always travel together with who you designate as your companion. If you can't make it for some reason, your companion is not eligible to fly without you...

13. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are the benefits of a Companion status? Or what is Companion status?

14. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Will ditto..but without typo. [emoji12]

15. nostresshere

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The companion flies free with you all the current year that you earn it and all of the following year. You need to earn 110,000 miles in a single calendar year to get this.

16. lostfido

lostfido I push my fingers into my eyes

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have 2 cards ready to go for 2017------got the cards in November, will start using them on my New Years trip to Vegas and to pay for some dental bills I will have next week. I use my flex spending at work to pay me back the cost of the dental work on my SW card. I will still need to come up with another $5,000 in spend but I usually by gift cards for grocery, gas, amazon etc....
    I love my companion fare------we managed 12 round trip flights this year!!!!

17. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks!
    I am not a SW person. Didn't know they giving out such benefit.

18. mdee

mdee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Me too! Just logged onto my SWA App to check to see if I had finally made it and I did!
    It was Touch 'n Go there because all I needed was 51 more points as of yesterday.

Ok so that's one less thing I need to stress about here in 2016! Moving Forward ---> 2017!

19. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Another feature of the companion pass is that you can change the companion during the year. (ie You can name a spouse or sig. other initially and then call swa and change it to a child, friend, etc, later.) You can change the companion 3 times during the life of the pass.

bruce

20. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Because Southwest Airlines, just like all of us, LOVES some Joe! Happy New Year!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.