1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Solo trip for the Super Bowl, got some questions...

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by moses4969, Dec 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. moses4969

moses4969 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hello all.

So next Feb I am taking a solo trip to Vegas for Super Bowl weekend. I am really excited, as it is always something I have wanted to do. This is my fifth trip out, and while the wife and I always stayed on the strip, I think I am going to give downtown a try.

With that being said, I have some questions regarding what to expect this trip.

1) I know it's one of the busiest days, so the plan is to get a reservation at some place that is having a "big game" party (Twin Peaks, Blondies, maybe someplace downtown). Those of you who have done this by yourself, what was your experience like?

2) I understand that the sports books will be super crowded (to say the least), and lines to place bets will be long. Since I am arriving the day before, will I be able to place my bets for the game the day I arrive?

3) I also assume that table limits will be super high that day on the strip. Does the same go for downtown and/or off strip locations? Just guessing here, but I doubt on the strip I will see any craps/bj tables below $25, but just wondering if downtown and off strip will be the same.

Also, those of you who have done solo trips on SB weekend, I would like to hear about your experience overall.

Thanks!

2. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can answer the second question. To place a basic bet on the game, you can make that the same evening the conference championship games end (the initial line comes out that night). The prop bet sheets usually come out Tuesday or Wednesday before the game. So yes, you can make all your bets on Saturday

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    1) Great experience at the public parties. Honestly the teams that are in the "Big Game" influences a lot of the crowds, I have done a couple of the public parties including Blondies on a solo trip and always made new friends. Depending on your age and demographic I can make some recommendations. That being said I have found certain home town team fans in Vegas can be a little obnoxious towards opposing fans so be warned if say a major franchise team is in the game. All and all you will have a good time. You should also book your flight home on Tuesday since the airport on the day after Superbowl is insane!

2) Don't sweat it, on the strip most of the books setup satellite betting stations to accommodate the big crowds. Pickup your parlay sheet and get your bets in a couple hours ahead of the game and you will be fine. It gets crazy long lines the closer to kickoff.

3) You can count on all table mins to go up on any major weekend, Big Game weekend especially. You will still find some lower limit tables, but they will be in high demand. The crowd sets the price of gambling. If your looking to play lower limit tables try to do your gambling early in the morning or way late at night (post 2am) when crowds are thinner. Otherwise your only going to find lower limit tables way off strip. Even downtown will see a spike in table mins, but not as bad as the strip where $10 to $15 dollar mins dry up fast on Big Game weekend.

So I have done Big Game weekend solo around 4 times. Best one was Packers vs Steelers. Two rust belt Midwest teams with a pretty cool fan base. Even though I was a Bears fan, I made a lot of new Pittsburgh fan friends and hung at the bar drinking during the game, chowing down on burgers / dogs, and there were some really cool raffle prize give a ways.

Least favorite trip was Big Game XLII Pats vs Giants. I didn't particularly care for the fan base in Vegas. Too many loud mouth, rowdy fans for my taste who just got a little too obnoxious when they got drunk. I'm a big boy and can deal with some craziness but some of these fans were just out right shitty with no lack of manners towards other people when they got drunk. Saw a few fights break out on the strip between drunk fans. Again not trying to label a group of people, just relating my personal experience.

I can say Big Game weekend is probally one of the most high energy and coolest weekends to spend in Vegas, only ever topped personally by my SuperBowl trip to NOLA. Plan to have a great time and don't sweat going solo, just be safe especially late night if your hanging downtown.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't really know about Downtown, but I've stayed on the Strip 3 times over SB weekend, and the mins peak out on Saturday night.

One year the Pats weren't in it so I didn't give a shit about the game and played craps instead, and MB had a $10 table as soon as the game started. That was 2010, so it might not be the same now.

But things clear out pretty quickly after the game.

It's a buzzy atmosphere and any fan should do it at least once. But yeah, I can imagine what NY/NE must have been like, lol. Especially after busting up the Pats perfect season.

UFC usually has a big thing that weekend also. All in all, it's a total sausage fest.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.