1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Cab Fares to Decrease?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by bjpcyclone, Nov 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bjpcyclone

bjpcyclone High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good article from Vital Vegas about the decline of cab usage. No surprise but I figured rides would be down more than 16% - but I bet that number keeps falling as more and more people use Uber/Lyft.

The article mentions that cabs are getting beat up by the $3 credit card fee (and rightfully so) so they'll have to raise fares by almost 2% if that declines. Ultimately, it sounds like the overall fare won't decrease and so they'll continue to lose their market share until they change and adapt.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/traffic/las-vegas-taxi-fares-could-drop-3-cut-surcharge-early-2017

2. zoobrew

zoobrew VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    A lot of cab rides are reimbursed by companies and not all companies approve of Uber/Lyft.

3. bobby jones

bobby jones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We just got back and my SO refused the Uber and Lyft for some reason. We took cab to and from airport/Caesars. On pick up the first thing the driver said was "are you ok with the freeway" to which I replpied the standard refrain with a smile and he smiled back. Nothing else needed to be said - $18 late on a busy thursday. Took an early cab back on Sunday and topic never came up as the streets were dead quite - still $18.

4. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once the coupon codes for new users to Lyft/Uber dry up the cab fares will stabilize.
    Last week in Vegas I took 9 Lyft rides, 2 monorail rides, 2 WAX bus rides and used the free trams 5 times. Zero cabs.
    My next trip I will probably try to minimize cab use but I will be with a party of 4 instead of 2.
    If I decide not to rent a car, I will try uber XL, use a limo for mccarran to hotel and resort to cabs, bus and monorail for the rest.
    I'd like to just rent a car, but I'm not a platinum card holder, so paying for parking does play a factor.

5. chukli

chukli Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Just to clarify, was the cab fare from LV Airport to Caesars $18 each way, and to say 'NO' to taking the freeway to get to the hotel?
    I will be taking cabs too while in Vegas.
    Thanks.

6. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Good. Hopefully cab usage will continue to decrease until they can adapt to the times and get more competitive with Uber and Lyft.

As it stands now, I can't see myself ever choosing a cab over Uber/Lyft again.

7. irmster

irmster Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think cab usage will decline much further. As has been said above, a lot of employers will not re-imburse Uber/Lyft and there are also a lot of people (me included) who are still very happy taking a cab.

8. hillwood24

hillwood24 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll never take a cab again and there are several people who I travel with who recently made the same statement. The only way I'd take a cab is if I absolutely needed to be somewhere asap and didn't have the two minutes to wait for Uber.

9. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

more employers will use Uber/Lyft once they figure out it costs them less. "A fool and their money is soon departed"

10. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

A lot of employers already pay more for airfare than they have to for a variety of reasons. I can see more reimbursing Uber/Lyft if it proves to be more convenient but I don't think the cost difference matters to a bigger corporation.

As for cab fares overall, it's hard to make them cheaper. Gas still fluctuates, regulations aren't going to relax and governments at probably multiple levels have revenue baked into those fares. I see them trying to get that same fee revenue out of Uber/Lyft before cab fares drop.

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just can't envision taxi fares dropping unless there's a significant decrease in business. It's my impression that the Uber/Lyft craze did not dent the demand for traditional taxi service that much.

If anything, there should be an increase in demand for taxi service with the impending parking charges.

12. ams722

ams722 Side Bet Shunner

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's still early. Many many many people have still never taken an Uber or Lyft. Once they do, many of them will be customers for life.

Just look at the airport... Demand is increasing. They recently had to expand the Uber/Lyft pick up area. It's now over twice as big as it was previously.

13. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You could maybe call me a luddite, or just growing old and set in my ways, but for some reason I've never been excited enough by Uber/Lyft to do it.

One reason is that I'm getting majorly fatigued at joining this, joining that, installing this app, installing that app, and having my every move and every purchase tracked by who knows what aggregator!

Personally I find it more convenient to simply step up to a taxi stand or stand on the curb and raise my finger.

Yes, yes, I know that Uber and Lyft are (for now) cheaper than a metered taxi but they seem to be in the same order of magnitude. We're also starting to see stories of Uber/Lyft drivers long-hauling. I have yet to be long-hauled by a LV taxi. (I was once in San Diego!) The worst experience I've ever had in a LV taxi was where one driver yapped non-stop on his cell phone in some unrecognizable Balto-Slavic language which I could not place.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  14. pirviii

pirviii Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You are lucky, I have been long hauled on 2 of 3 taxi trips from the airport.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    "Bally's, take Paradise", said confidently and assertively. Let the driver know that you are in charge and that you know the route. "No tunnel" sets a bad scene.

16. surf87

surf87 MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Cabs will never decrease their fares. Remember when AOL had dial up service at about $25/month. With the advent of higher speed broadband, AOL basically went out of business and never decreased their rates. So too will the cabbies never decrease their fares. The cab companies would rather go out of business than lower their fares, IMHO.

17. rscpa

rscpa Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This past weekend my uber app wasn't wanting to work, and we were out front at Bellagio going to airport. no line for cabs so we took one. Cabbie asks me, you want regular or fast way. So I respond, which is fast way. He tells me "freeway." I tell him no freeway. He proceeds to go left out of Bellagio and down the strip and than long hauls me in a meandering way. Never mind at each light you can see cabs turning to go to airport. Wife can see I am pissed and tells cabbie, never been this way and his response is. 'Avoiding the lights." Now I counted them, we have sat thru six lights since we left Bellagio. Bill was 21.65. I get in argument with cabbie during the ride and he tells me this is because he hates sitting in lights. I tell him, this is why I will never use a cab again in Vegas and hope all of them lose there jobs. Forget the difference in fares, just hate getting in arguments when on vacation. And he had the balls to try and explain his behavior, like I was the uneducated one.

18. 93 Octane

93 Octane Chief Bottle Washer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    ^^^^ I've used uber at least 15 times during my six day stay in Vegas this vacation, didn't use a taxi once nor will I ever again. Its obvious now how much we were being overcharged and hopefully every cab company goes out of business although from what I saw at mgm and the cosmo the beautiful people refuse to uber

19. eksantirik

eksantirik High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If I understand correctly, there is no discount to speak of. They are trying to ditch the stupid CC fee, and if they do, they are planning to increase the fare to make up for it. So, I don't think they still learned their lesson.

And that CC fee is not transparent at all. I was stuck with it once (the first and last time I paid for a cab with a credit card), and I thought it was an auto tip, and the cabbie got zero tip out of the confusion. The cabbie later told me that it was a CC convenience fee. Oh well.

20. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm with you. I don't have a smartphone for a reason and it's not that I can't use one. I am picky about the tech I adopt and a smartphone makes me more available to people than I want. I choose to rent. I travel solo so shuttles are a cost effective optional. And to me, ride share in a city setting when there are cabs everywhere isn't a big deal. I guess I would feel different if a hired ride was my primary mode of transportation.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.