1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Gordon Ramsay Steak outside wine? Corkage fee?

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by tkojames, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tkojames

tkojames Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Does the Gordon Ramsay Steak at Paris allow outside wine? And if so how much is the corkage fee? Could not seem to find anything. Thank you for the help!

2. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No sure how recent/accurate it is, but here goes. $50 per bottle, two 750 ml bottle max.

http://nocorkagefees.com/directory/name/gordon-ramsay-steak/#.WEZ_r3TTnqA

I've considered just paying corkage fees, as I like to bring some of my own wine to Vegas, but CF always seem astronomically-high on the strip...(but I'm not a super big-spender on wine, if you're paying hundreds for a bottle, it could be worth it, but I don't!)

3. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At $50 a bottle... yikes. Vegas continues to suck money out of their guests.

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That doesn't seem exorbitant to me. I thought $35 was standard and $50 isn't crazy for a high end restaurant.

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No complaint about the in-house wine markup that would make such a corkage a real deal? It's simple. If something doesn't work for your tastes or wallet, go all anti-Nike: Just Don't Do It.

I took a three-bottle Hilliard-Bruce clonal horizontal to Craftsteak. I piped the steward a Ben and we were good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well, if you are a fancy restaurant, you want to encourage people to bring in a special bottle if they have one, not create a policy that undercuts the pricing of your own wine list. IE: You don't want someone bringing in a $10 bottle to save money. (Hehe, I wonder what the corkage fee is per box).

7. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    HI Nevyn/Ken/Snide/Nostress,

I totally agree it's cheaper for a nice bottle than paying mark up. I just don't buy the caliber of wine to merit the cost. ($30 is about my max for a splurge. I know. Big cheapo.)

I'll bring a decent bottle or two for the trip and we'll have a glass in the room pre-dinner (Amarone is my my favorite!), but I just avoid buying wine at dinner as, like Ken said, if you don't like it, don't buy it! :)

Plus, while I am frugal, I DO believe in healthy tipping (they work their fannies off), so that $50 corkage fee jumps to $60 - $64 at 20% -25%, and there might be tax on that too.

Again, I think corkage is a GREAT option if you want a really nice bottle, but it probably doesn't make sense if you're a big spender like me, and your splurge is a $25 - $30 bottle ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never paid a corkage fee as I stick to the cheapest bottles of wine on the wine list. At home, I might spend $12 for a bottle. I like to stay at $10 but those choices are becoming sparser. We have BYOB restaurants in NJ and have no issues bringing my Cupcake or Barefoot Merlot with me.

Do you tip on the corkage fee? Never thought of that.

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you are buying off the house list you don't pay corkage.

We live in wine country. Most places have corkage but it is not usurious. Kinda hard to gouge in that type of environment.

Own or house bottle, you tip on the service, not necessarily the $$$.

10. tkojames

tkojames Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you @Multifarious5 for the information. 50 seems a little steep The wine we want to bring is only worth $60 . After thinking it over I might visit BLT Steak at Ballys instead, use the travelzoo offer. Seems like it might be a better deal.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2016
  11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But remember, you are hedging the crazy markup of list wine ... as well as showing up with something you know you are going to like. It might seem that adding nearly as much as the cost of the wine is nutty, but what's the markup factor? 2.5? 3? Sure you could spread that corkage "farther" across a top-shelf wine, but 3x on a cellar-topper is a LOT more real world coin than 3x on a good wine.

12. GamblingGolfer

GamblingGolfer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Prime Rib Loft in Orleans, a very nice restaurant, only charges $10 corkage. Their list isn't bad, but if you have a special favourite, it's a pretty good deal. Just don't expect all of the staff to know how to open/serve it properly ... ;)

GG

13. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Locally, when I'm in a group that brings a few bottles to a nice steakhouse, we always end up getting the corkage fee waived at the end (a combination of how much food we are ordering and our winning personalities? More the former than the latter, I'm sure). Does this happen much in Vegas? I've never brought my own due to the whole flying to Vegas thing.

14. VolleyBall

VolleyBall 7* & MLife Plat

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't speak for Gordons/Paris but I have reached out to about a dozen other venues about having me email their wine list. This will help determine if there are any offerings you may like. The other trick is to arrive a little early during happy hour, order a couple of glasses each and bring them to your table and maybe order one bottle of wine.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.