1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Frontier - "personal item"

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by ffejry, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So I am leaving Jan 1, super late flight. Coming home Jan 4, super late flight. Chicago to Las Vegas, and vice versa.

Basically, I'll be wearing the same jeans the entire time. Don't need to pack much. A hoodie will be worn. I will pack a couple underwear. Any other essentials I may need, I'll just grab at CVS.

Basically, I want to bring a drawstring backpack. A small one. Nothing big. I did not check in a bag with Frontier. They said a small personal item is free.

Does my bag qualify, especially if I don't pack much in it other than a couple underwear and socks?

2. Chief Ski

Chief Ski Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like you could wear cargo pants and not take a bag.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If it's smaller than this it qualifies

8” Depth

18” Width

14” Long

4. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Pretty sure you can bring another small backpack size,one underseat and one overhead..but have no experience with Frontier,let the pros chime in..
    How you can make it through a few days on the same pair of jeans is out of my mindset tho.I get a coffee stain right off the bat at the airport/outgoing flight.
    Then real drinks come in during the day..just sayin. have a great trip!

• Like Like x 2
  5. buckeyetodd

buckeyetodd High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have taken a stuffed backpack twice and nobody ever said anything.

6. kimbaed

kimbaed Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I take a regular sized backpack. Filled with clothes (2 pants, 4-5 shirts- socks & undies, toiletries). It fits easily under the seat because it's soft and compresses.

7. duffer1991

duffer1991 Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sometimes they are sticklers. I have seen people be just a little over on the dimensions and forced to pay at the gate. Sometimes, people walk on with two or three items.

Since you seem to be taking so little, it is likely that you will be within the restrictions. Better safe than sorry.

8. Richard Alpert

Richard Alpert LOST

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did a similar thing on Spirit, "squishing" my backpack under the seat.
    I would imagine you should be okay with your drawstring backpack on your flight, especially with those few items inside.

I would love to travel with only the clothes on my back and purchase a special Vegas wardrobe at Ross.or Marshall's.
    My bride and travelling companion is not a fan of that idea, though...

Happy travels!

RICHARD

9. BarelyHangingOn

BarelyHangingOn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I checked your baggage sizes vs WestJet and yours are slightly larger than what I am allowed to bring.

My personal item is a smaller knapsack and as long as you can shove it under the seat in front of you and its reasonable to the size it is okay. Only once have they asked me to make sure i put it under the seat during takeoff.

https://www.flyfrontier.com/travel-information/baggage/

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. meyers67

meyers67 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I bought a bag on amazon that's made to meet the frontier baggage guidelines.

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've gotten away (on Southwest and Untied, that is) putting my regular everyday purse plus other items into a larger tote and carrying it on as my "personal item" a number of times.

12. kimbaed

kimbaed Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've taken 18 individual flights to Vegas on Frontier using a backpack the size of the one pictured above. I've stuffed it so full of clothes that I used it as a pillow. Trust me, they won't give you any problems as long as it fits under the seat.

13. insin

insin Speed Spender

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My first time flying on Frontier was last month.
    I was a little worried about the luggage situation, but it was no problem at all!

We went for 5 days, and we were able to fit 5 days of clothes, swimwear and HBA items in a quart sized bag plus a pair of dress shoes and a pair of flip-flops.
    We even brought home 4 teeshirts, 2 Starbucks LAS VEGAS Mugs in their cardboard boxes and a lot of little gifts and freebies.
    We did wear our sneakers jeans & jackets for travel plus our bags were not completely stuffed on the way there....but they were on the way back home!

We used a backpack pretty close to the requirements 18"h x 11.5"w x 8.5"d made by Space Junk
    and a rolling weekender made by Ricardo Beverly Hills that measured a tad under the limits even with the wheels and handles.
    We were able to fit them under the middle seat with no problems.

The middle seat is actually a little bit wider than the aisle or window seat.....
    .....so I even had enough space on the side of my bag to stretch my legs out straight under the seat in front of me!

I love luggage, but I find it SO annoying that I have so many dang pieces of luggage!
    a bag for Spirit (free personal item size)
    a bag for Frontier (free personal item size)
    a bag for southwest carry-on and a bag for checked luggage along with a cheap large duffel "just in case"
    a bag that fits the smallest international standard
    a bag for when I rode the train.

I have flown to Vegas with just the clothes on my back and bought everything there.
    It can be done..... but there's a HUGE difference between "Vegas Clothes" and the clothes you can wear every day back at home!

14. chef

chef Resident Buffetologist

Agreed. Similar experiences with many a Frontier flt.

15. szoke3321

szoke3321 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Awesome post. Could also just pull a Joey Tribbiani and wear everything on top of each other during flight. "Could I be wearing any more clothes?"

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. wesraft

wesraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I picked up a wonderful bag with handle and wheels that JUST fits the Frontier limits. https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/index.php?threads/carry-on-alternative.135291/

17. ffejry

ffejry #1 Bears Fan

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I got a weekend bag for Christmas, but unfortunately, it is an inch or so too big to be considered a personal item. I found a backpack that's meant for a middle-school kid that I bought accidentally. Backpack is stuffed with packing cubes and is PERFECT for Frontier's personal size limits!!! Leaving in 4 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. jean11111

jean11111 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've flown frontier. Normal sized backpack is fine. Don't even worry about it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.