1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Latest SWA credit card offer- 10,000 miles less.

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by Joe, Nov 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My wife gets monthly, credit card mail offers from SWA. It used to be 50,000 miles and charge $2,000 in the first 3 months. Latest offer is now 40,000 miles and charge $1,000 in 3 months.

Unfortunately she has already gone through all three levels of cards and can't reapply for another year.

2. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So Joe do you just use it for a few months and then close it out and reapply?

3. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  4. Ty

Ty ?

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm wondering the same thing.

5. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, we can't. We have run through all three card levels and then there is a two year waiting period before you can apply again for a new card. I tried applying for the SWA business card, the 4th card they offer, with a made up business, but they rejected that one.

6. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For my wife, yes. We have gotten all three card levels, charge everything for 3 months and then cancel the card. Her account has earned 150,000 miles over the years. One year we even got a companion card on her account.

I use a SWA CC for almost everything and I'm too lazy to drop the card and change all my auto pay accounts to a new card. I have also gotten 150,000 in miles by running through all three card levels. If I cancel my card I'd also have to wait two years to apply for a new one.

7. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes. 2 year wait before you can reapply for card with bonuses.

8. oldschoolvegas

oldschoolvegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What are the 3 levels?

9. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't recall, but for each level the annual fee goes up. My card is currently SWA Premiere. $95 per year fee. I'll guess and say the lower cards are $50 and $25 per year, but each came with the 50,000 mile offer.

I know it's not logical or practical, but I like earning the miles and flying for free. I'm a savvy money guy, but not in this case. I equate it to the people who like getting a tax refund every year. Neither move is smart, but it feels good.

10. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Joe, I believe you need to use a tax I.D. number to apply for a business card, they won't accept a social security number. I think you can ask the IRS for a tax ID number that ties in with your SS number, regardless if it's a business. You are clearly a consultant who may or may not receive any income as a result of your vast knowledge of a certain vacation destination in Nevada.:ssst: And since you don't want to give out your SS number to your clients, you need a tax ID Number.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  11. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just applied and was approved in 5 seconds. Thanks for the link. I canceled my other SW card about 8 months ago. My wife and I go back and forth, grabbing 50,000 miles each time.

12. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Interesting, I'll look into that. Holy crap. EDIT 1: It took 4 minutes online and I now have a EIN.
    Edit 2: I now applied for a SWA Buisness Card. That took 5 minutes, but if approved, it does come with the 50,000 mile offer.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  13. bluesdude

bluesdude VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So applying, receiving and cancelling these CC all the time, don't you worry about your credit score? I mean, I know that it does affect your credit score, but maybe it doesn't affect it as much as I am thinking.

Dead & Co with my son! June 4 or 5th - June 8th
  14. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nah, we have no loans, mortgage etc. Sometimes we take a tiny hit on our car and home insurance. Current credit score is: 805.

15. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agree with joe. No hit on credit score. I'm 805. Wife is 834. Just bought a car and these credit scores were checked 5 days ago. I get about 3 credit cards a year for air miles, cash, etc. Most are no annual fee. Some give you the annual fee wavered for the 1st year( we cancel after 320 days). The SW card gives you 6,000 points for the annual fee, so it's a push.
    Credit card companies want to play games and I play games back. Obviously we pay the cards off monthly so there is no interest.
    It's fun to be retired and research all these deals. There are web sites out there that give you the top 10 credit cards for points and cash. Most of them demand excellent credit.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I currently have the SW premier card and received the 50000 bonus miles plus they gave me $100 effectively making the card free for the first year. If I apply for the plus card can I receive an additional 50000 miles in spite of already receiving the miles on the premier card? And what is the third card with the bonus miles?

Thanks for the great information.

17. bruceb

bruceb Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes, if you apply (and are approved) for the plus card you will receive the bonus on it. This is very common, in fact if you time them properly this is the shortcut to a companion pass. I received the plus card in April 2015, applied and received the premier card in July 2015 (both had 50,000 mile bonus), charged $10,000 total from april thru sept (enough on plus for bonus, then continued with premier) and received companion pass for remainder of 2015 and all of 2016. Cancelled the plus and continue to use premier.
    As for additional cards, I believe they have two personal cards (plus and premier) and two business cards (plus and premier).
    bruce

18. Fet297

Fet297 113 survivor North Vegas

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the information Bruce. :beer:

19. Turtleman

Turtleman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This thread motivated me to sign up for the SW Premier Card, which I just did online. (Completing my first r/t flights on SW from Atlanta to Vegas this week probably had something to do with that.) It was tough deciding between the Plus and Premium card, I but figured the extra $30 cost for the Premier would pay for itself with the extra 3,000 point bonus. (I wonder if I can switch to the Plus card next year and knock the renewal fee down from $99 to $69. Does anyone know? For that matter, I might decide to cancel the card altogether.)

While doing my research, I came across referral offers from unknown individuals for 50,000 points, but couldn't tell if the spending requirement was still $1000. More importantly, I didn't have a warm fuzzy that the application link was legit, so I quickly gave up on that idea!

I have some large expenses coming due very soon, and could easily meet the spending requirement this month if the card shows up within the posted 7 to 10 days. So, after getting the "You're Approved" response, I logged onto Chase and my new SW card is already listed with its last 4 digits. That prompted me to call Chase to see if they would give me the rest of the number so I could start using it before the physical card shows up. Nope – they evidently won't give out that information over the phone, but the nice rep. said she would expedite it via UPS and I could have it as soon as tomorrow or Monday! Just sharing.

20. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't answer you question about going downward on their cards. We have always done it the other way, start at lowest, get the miles, then cancel. 9 more months and my wife can reapply after going through all three levels.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.