1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Lotus of Siam

Discussion in 'Restaurants & Buffets' started by gotavegasjones, Aug 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We're gonna be in Las Vegas next week. Have reservations for Lotus of Siam one evening. Anyone here have a meal there recently? Comments about what you ordered, prices and general thoughts abut the place are welcomed. Thanks.

later, GVJ

2. Golfer

Golfer Well-Known Member

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is one of the best of its kind in America. Some say the best.

3. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It has all the Thai staples but is known for its northern Thai menu(near the back of a large menu). That menu is small plates sized. I had the Sai Oua and Nam Prik Noom and both were awesome. But if you don't like spicy food take spiciness warnings seriously. The Sai Oua was hot and the chilies served as a garnish are nuclear.

4. pleasemum

pleasemum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have only had lunch there - we always order one of the soups (#23 Tom Kah Kai) and a few dishes from the Northern menu - my favourite is the Khao Soi.

5. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I'm not a Thai eater?
    Food was good, but too much hype for the place.
    Off strip and seedy area. I think they have a sign at the front door warning about not keeping valuables/suitcases in your car.

6. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the replies. I like hot, spicy food. But, I've ordered Thai dishes which have crippled me with their heat. I'll tread lightly.

later, GVJ

7. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That shopping center just adds to the appeal. I drove around it twice with my mouth agape. Nothing like that at home.

8. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you like spicy you can probably handle the dish I was referring to, just not the peppers. The wait staff if very helpful if you are in doubt.

Also, you can google the menu which will give a general idea of cost. The section I was discussing is under "Northern"

9. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The key to Lotus of Siam is (According to Anthony Bourdain) you don't order Pad Thai there.

The specialty is Northern Thai cuisine.

http://lotusofsiamlv.com/dishes/

I have eaten at Arawan, a Thai restaurant in the same "mall" as Lotus of Siam and found the cuisine quite good. A feast for the eyes as well as the taste buds. Order the Pad Thai there.

http://arawanthaibistro.com/

Last edited: Aug 25, 2016
  10. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks, Nevyn - I'll let the wait staff give me direction on the heat factor. We'll check out the Northern menu.

DaiLun - thanks for the info.

later, GVJ

11. Camp Rusty

Camp Rusty VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We "ended up" at Arawan after we went to Lotus without reservations and we were quoted an hour wait. It's just diagonally located across the same parking lot from Lotus.

I'm not a foodie but I thought it was good, went with a couple vegetarian foodies and they enjoyed it a lot. Like DaiLun I suggest the PadThai.

I guess I didn't find the area too seedy, but my "seedy" radar is set sorta' high I think, perhaps too high for my own good.

12. vegasvic

vegasvic VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have eaten lunch there 3 times. Very good. Busy, but not too busy, early afternoon.

13. TFK

TFK High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ate there years ago. It was average.

TFK

14. gotavegasjones

gotavegasjones VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for all the replies. We had dinner there last Tuesday (Aug 30) evening. The place was busy and packed. Our reservation was for 7:00pm. We were seated just after arriving at 6:50pm. Service was good. Staff was friendly. Food was excellent. The neighborhood does have a rundown look. We did not think it was dangerous or a risky area to avoid. Just a bit on the shabby side. We will likely have a meal there on a future trip.

Wife enjoyed the crispy garlic prawns. I enjoyed the soft shell crabs and drunken noodles. We both loved the Hot Pot soup - Tom Kha Kai (Bangkok style soup). We recommend it to folks who like culinary adventure.

later, GVJ

• Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.