1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

NFL Coming To Vegas: Your Predictions?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by VegasGroove, May 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VegasGroove

VegasGroove VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I just read an article on Yahoo regarding the NFL coming to Vegas. I know this has been in the works for awhile, but the article says it is now a "lock". The article cited the stadium will be on the strip. Must be south LVB, which makes sense being nearest to McCarren or the incoming traffic from California.

Good or bad - what do you predict will happen because of this?

2. Frankr163

Frankr163 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I still don't think it will happen.
    I believe Mark Davis is just using Las Vegas for leverage in Oakland or to get back in the mix for L.A.
    He will need 24 owners to vote in favor of a move, and I wonder if the votes are there. There are a lot of dinosaurs among the ownership groups that are against the idea of a team in "sin city".

Anniversary Trip
  3. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't necessarily disagree with your conclusions, buy FYI, owners don't really need approval of any other owners to move their team. They always try to get it because the NFL rules state that is a requirement and it is a lot easier to get the support of fellow owners. But there is no law that prevents an owner from moving a team (remember, Davis' dad did exactly that and moved a team without NFL approval and then defeated the league in court). I think I recall reading that Jerry Jones even encouraged the Rams owner to move the team to LA even if he did not get the 24 votes.

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  4. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Has there been much discussion on the advantages of moving out of Oakland? We've seen the 'leverage' movie enough times to get the joke. Does stadium attendance matter like it once did? How does the Vegas TV market compare with Oakland? Just odd to me that here we are in 2016 and somebody says "Hey...how 'bout Vegas? We've not done that before!".

5. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is also talk of getting an NHL team.

A graph I saw showed Las Vegas as the #2 sized metropolitan area without a pro sports team (4 major sports). #1 was Austin, TX. I never knew that Austin had 940,000 people.

6. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you have ever seen OAK stadium then you would know why they want to leave and I do think they want to move to Las Vegas and Jerry Jones will help him.

7. bigalbr

bigalbr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Now that St. Louis doesn't have a team, Vegas is #3.

8. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    But St. Louis still has two of the other major sports (Blues and Cards). I think breeze is saying vegas is #2 of cities that have no teams from the big four North American sports

The plans have changed
  9. chitownjohn

chitownjohn High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think the conundrum is the NFL will not consider a city that does not have a stadium, so does LV build a stadium hoping to lure a team? This a big risk to build a 70,000 seat stadium w/o a commitment. Hockey is different because a 20,000 seat arena can be used for lots of activities if the NHL declines the franchise.

In general I think the NFL has shied away from LV because it's just a little to close to the action. I think it's unlikely at this point.

10. Travel Fanatic

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The NFL will allow it as long as there is a real commitment to build a stadium. That's exactly what just happened with LA. Same thing with Tennessee a couple decades ago. The team plays in a temporary location while the build out is complete. They could always do the same in vegas and find a way to play at UNLV

The plans have changed
  11. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
  12. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    They have said it would be a 55k seater.

13. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The problem isn't whether they are willing to come to Vegas, the problem is whether there is a will to finance a stadium. Considering there are lots of decisions on the table regarding financing the convention center expansion. I don't know if they can keep all of their regularly contracted shows if they don't address some of the concerns about the convention center. Paying for both may be too much for Vegas to bear and Davis hasn't suggested putting up enough money to make a real dent in the cost.

14. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Well he has 500m{or something like that} of the NFL's money to go towards it.That's a start.

15. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once the chargers and rams move to la then oakland will still have the crummy old stadium which wont be replaced every. Seems logical they would move somewhere.

its not so much the teams but the league that is insisting on new stadium. Now factor in superbowls. They are always looking for places to have the superbowl. Whow would not like to have that in Vegas? of course they would.

Also the raiders could basically move their team to antartica and still double the sales of every other team in merchandise so moving to vegas is a natural for that as well. lots fo tourists who normally would not but a raiders shirt but now that it has vegas written on it they will.

Might not happen as soon as they think but it will happen.

16. RebelDiceMan

RebelDiceMan VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I can't predict how things will play out but I know I would sure like to make a road trip to watch the "High Rollers" play.

17. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
  18. shokhead

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It would bring a ton of new people to Vegas during the games and can you say BIG, BIG money for a Superbowl.

19. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Of all the places on earth where you could get people who don't even live there to pay for your stadium, it would seem LV would be the place.

20. bdautch

bdautch VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would say their NHL prospects are 100% and their NFL prospects are 25%.

BTW, if there was ever a renegade franchise who would violate the final frontier of bringing pro football to Las Vegas, it would be the Raiders. I think their heritage is a driving force behind this and I would give any other given franchise in their same situation more like a 10% chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.