1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Surge And Prime Pricing For Lyft And Uber

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by TrustNoOne, May 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TrustNoOne

TrustNoOne Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I am new to Lyft and Uber, and have never been to Vegas. Can someone tell me if there are specific hours in Vegas for surge pricing (or prime pricing)? I am reading that Lyft and Uber are cheaper than cabs, and I know there are many discounts available for both. That being said, some have said that if you end up using them during surge pricing hours, you may end up paying more than you would for a cab. Any info on this would be greatly appreaciated. Thank you!

2. SH0CK

SH0CK Stylin' and Profilin' Quasi Tech Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's no specific time. Just think about the times when a major boxing match or UFC lets out. Those are the times when surge pricing would be in effect as the number of possible passengers would greatly outnumber the number of drivers.

If I'm not mistaken, both apps tell you and also verify with you that you understand that surge pricing is in effect.

3. Dutch34

Dutch34 High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Shock is correct. The app will explicitly tell you when the surge is happening and how much the surge is. For instance, when I was last there in January, it once told me we would pay 2.6x the regular rate. As you can guess, it's supply and demand, so as stated, high volume weekends and events will lead to increased surges. In my experience, Uber and Lyft are cheaper than taxis during normal times, but taxis are MUCH cheaper during the surge....

4. TrustNoOne

TrustNoOne Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you. I was reading an article where someone said they ended up paying almost $40 after a discount at about 2:00 in the afternoon due to surge/prime pricing. So I guess this is not the norm. I am glad to hear that the app tells you. Thank you for the info.

5. LoveDowntownVegas

LoveDowntownVegas High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was there for 6 nights last week. the only time I paid surge pricing (1.7x) was 4AM Friday night/Saturday morning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.