1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Best place to buy luggage?

Discussion in 'Las Vegas for the Frugal (not Cheap)' started by wesraft, May 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wesraft

wesraft High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm looking to replace some older, worn luggage and was wondering if there might be a place someone could recommend. TIA, Wes

2. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Best prices are at places like Marshalls or TJMaxx in States; Winners or Marshalls in Canada. If price not concern, any luggage store.

• Like Like x 1
  3. LetsDoThis

LetsDoThis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Kohls always has huge sales on Samsonite (as much as 50 % off usually). Plus you can use coupons, kohls cash etc)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Remember the old adage of you get what you pay for.
    I think, overall, quality has gone up over the years but
    sticking with a brand name pretty much guarantees
    years of service.

Here's a pretty dang impressive carry on...
    https://store.ricksteves.com/shop/p/carry-on-backpack

5. rcc4au

rcc4au Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Macy's was having a closeout sale on luggage, but I've found several good deals on Amazon in the past. Got a great TravelPro piece for my dad for Christmas. Of course, they had a coupon code, but even without that, it was a good deal.

6. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We travel alot. I will never understand people that buy the real expensive stuff. It gets treated the same. We do not buy the bottom of the line, but just run of the mill stuff. Some of the places above are good. Saw some at Target as well.

7. spdandpwr

spdandpwr VIP Whale

Marshalls typically has the lowest prices I've seen. Personally, I like to see the suitcase in person before I buy it, which is why I opt not to buy online.

In terms of luggage, I try to get distinctive styles so they're easier to spot. For example, I have a yellow and blue Nautica carry on. The big logo and the bold yellow make it easy to spot when you're trying to spot your luggage among a sea of suitcases. It gets compliments all the time too :) good news was that it was only $50 new.

8. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When we are in Vegas at Christmas time I usually get a Cal gift shop comp. $100-$200. Depends on how much love they are feeling for me. Anyway, two years ago, my wife picked this one up at the gift shop. Impossible to miss on the luggage carousel.
    [​IMG]

9. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    eBags.com is pretty good place as well.

10. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1, I just bought some from them. Seems like I got a good price.

11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    At the Premium outlets in Vegas they have these places (forget the name) where they sell off-shoot brands of luggage real cheap.

If you're not into brand names then these are great deals. You can use your old luggage to get to Vegas then buy your new one and throw the old one away.

Lots of times these places are great to buy cheap luggage when you bought too much stuff and need extra luggage to bring them home.

Btw, these luggage are pretty good looks wise and quality wise. I still have mine from 10 years ago. They look just like the more expensive stuff you see being thrown onto the carousel at the airport.

12. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second Kohl's - when they have luggage on sale, plus coupons, or additional discounts.
    Outlet stores sometimes have good prices on designer brands.

I'm in the camp that 1) likes to inspect and roll the luggage when I buy and 2) a good price for decent looking and wearing luggage, but nothing expensive since it gets thrown around at the airport.

13. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I buy mostly Eagle Creek for the warranty (and because I love the luggage). I get it at Sierra Trading Post, usually when there's a good discount coupon. I also have a nice 22" Briggs & Riley from STP. I am a luggage addict, but only decent stuff ;-)

Most of my Le Sportsac nylon bags (useful as a laundry/souvenir bag to check on return trips) have come from the Vegas outlets though ;-) Well, maybe a couple from Orlando and a couple from Vegas....

14. Kobra2848

Kobra2848 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Macy's has really good prices on their luggage. Last fall I purchased a Travelpro 25" spinner for the wife for a trip she took with her sister. We used it on our March trip and it worked so well we we decided to get another and retire the other larger suitcase. The one I got my wife is purple and I prefer a black so the lady at Macy's subbed a Travelpro Crew 10 25" spinner for the same price.

Mark

15. luci5

luci5 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ross on the strip opposite Monte Carlo has a good selection of luggage.

16. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

I have to disagree. Many years ago I picked up some nice luggage from Ross' and they lasted pretty long. I bought the higher end samsonites at the time but they were probably less than 50% what it would cost at many stores.

But lately I noticed that the middle tier and lower tier luggage isn't really high quality and they don't last very long. Even some of the higher tier luggage doesn't last very long with the way they handle luggage nowadays.

To the OP, it all depends on what kind of traveler you are. If you travel a lot then there is more of a probability of your suitcase getting warped or damaged. If you don't travel very much then less chance of your suitcase deteriorating. Also note that the suitcase can be warped just by being put on the bottom of the pile in the plane, think a thousand pounds of luggage and your suitcase is on the bottom so you may think that a hard shelled suitcase would protect your stuff better (but even then it is possible it could get warped). So much to choose from, hard shell (but might be a little heavier by a pound or half pound or two), cloth (lighter but less resilient), leather, etc. So you have to decide, do you want to spend x amount for a suitcase that will only last a few years or do you want to spend 3x amount for a quality suitcase that will last a little longer.

It should be expected that the higher priced luggage would last longer but it all depends on some of the factors I already mentioned (frequent traveler, etc.).

17. shamrock77

shamrock77 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    LL Bean - it is not cheap but if anything happens to it no matter how long you have had it they will replace it for free. My daughter had their carry on for ten years and it ripped, she sent it back and they sent her a brand new one.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. eksantirik

eksantirik High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ross, north of Encore. I got a carry-on there and they had the best selection and prices of all the places I visited. They had much more selection than other Ross stores as well.

19. Multifarious5

Multifarious5 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I absolutely second Marshall's/TJ Maxx! I just bough a pretty new champagne expandable 360* hardshell today---$49 bucks normally over 100, and really pretty with a navy interior.. You do have to be open to checking the store a few times though if you're picky like I am...they change inventory weekly.

IT luggage is a really lightweight option they carry, I just didn't like any of the colors. Ross can also have some good buys, but Marshall's/TJ traditionally has much better quality overall. Enjoy!

P.S. IF you have time for shipping, Choxi.com can have good luggage buys, but it can take 2-4 weeks, so if in a hurry, avoid.

20. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'll 3rd this one. E bags has a good sale on right now. I have bought many things from them the past few years. If you fly SW they are a rapid rewards partner. Plus they have a point system of their own for rewards. All different kinds of brands. Many mentioned above. I'm getting ready to buy some bags for my Grandson a backpack and rolling duffel. They have 20% off right now plus American Express sends me offers. Spend $75 at Ebags and they will give me $25 back.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.