1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

out of the driveway or on the plane?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by Miller12pack, Apr 10, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miller12pack

Miller12pack High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I say when we back out of the driveway, we are on vacation. My husband says he is not on vacation until he gets on the plane. What do you think? Be nice, we have a case of beer riding on this.

2. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Once I walk out my front door, vacation time has commenced!

3. SeeUNVegas

SeeUNVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have always considered the walk out to the car from work as the start of my vacation. Even had the instances where I had to tell coworkers that I am on vacation, go ask someone else as I was leaving. So with that as my basis, gotta go with the driveway!

4. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was still working, this^

5. Count de Monet

Count de Monet High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I go with once I am on the plane. Yeah, leaving home is a start but the drive to the airport, parking, luggage, security, etc.....just a lot of stress and anxiety. I can take a deep breath and feel like I am on vacation once my butt hits one of those very comfy airplane seats!

6. BadKarma

BadKarma Vegas Degenerate - Still Royal Flushless

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vacation time starts as soon as I clock out at work.
    But, if your travelling on a vacation, It doesn't start until you are on the plane.
    Backing out of the driveway and driving your car to the airport is no vacation. Traffic, accidents, trying to drive there safely and dodge everyone texting while driving is still hard work. After going through all the hurdles in the airport, I can finally relax when I'm in the seat on a plane; that's when vacation starts!!

7. OhioStateAlum

OhioStateAlum High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me, vacation starts when I'm done with work and any other responsibilities on the night before a trip. The feeling then takes a brief hiatus when I'm a) heading to the airport b) going through security c) flying to Vegas d) heading to the hotel. While there is no way around those, they're all a pain in the ass. My vacation resumes when my feet are on the ground, luggage in hand, ready to check in.

8. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Part 1 is when you leave work.

Part 2, the Vegas part, is not secure until you go wheels up.

9. leo21

leo21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is me. When I am free not to think of work for more than two days, I am on vacation. But it doesn't become real until the flight is successfully in the air.

10. CJ's

CJ's Plumbing the depths of debauchery

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Only when my butt's on that plane seat and the wheels lift up off the tarmac :evillaugh

11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The end of work the day before.

12. deansrobinson

deansrobinson VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    When I was answerin' to "The Man", this was my approach. Once I shuffled off my cubicle chain and started walking towards the elevator...that started vacation. The drive home,
    grabbin' the bags, ride to the airport... all a part of vacation.

I had a boss who wanted to give me a laptop to take on vacation. This was during the 'train your replacement' phase of our 'leveraging global partnerships (e.g. outsourcing) era. I, however,
    am a firm believe that vacation is absolutely that: vacation. I did not check email, voice mail or call in for meetings. I'm just that old skool when it comes to time away from The Grind. So,
    when he stopped by my cubicle and dropped it off, I waited until he was gone... and locked it in my desk. It's work...not a lifestyle. And knowing that I was expected to drive the 'knowledge transfer' for my position, vacation started with a click of the lock and stroll towards the elevators.

13. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vegas part not secure for me until landing.

14. shady2415

shady2415 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As soon as we pull out of driveway, I truly enjoy the airport scene those people have a job to do so when wheels up its Vegas baby lol

15. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yeah the reason I say wheels up is because even if the flight gets diverted, I'm ending up in Vegas and the only thing that's bringing me back early is a death in the family. But there are things short of that which could abort a trip until I get on the plane and it's in the air.

Tree falls on the house while I'm waiting in the boarding area, I gotta stay.

Tree falls on the house after they shut the door, as long as the plane takes off, enjoy the tree, honey, take lots of pictures for the insurance claim. :beer:

16. bigalbr

bigalbr VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't get the vacation feeling until I've either checked my bags with the bellhop due to an early arrival or until I'm off the down elevator from my room. There's nothing better than that feeling of freedom to do whatever I want whenever I want for the next week. As far as the time between leaving work and getting on the down elevator, I'd rather be working.

17. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yes I would say there are two acceptable answers. When you leave work before your trip, your vacation has begun. Then, once you are on the plane (or thru security and at a bar), your trip has begun.

If you have a case of beer riding on this, why not add a poll? Most votes wins.

18. joespoolhall

joespoolhall VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm on "free time" once I leave work, but I don't feel like I'm on vacation until I check in to the hotel or get to my friends place if staying there. i don't care much for travel. I just want to get there and don't feel like I'm truly on vacation until I do.

Good Luck!
    Ric at Joes

19. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Vacation or Vegas Vacation.

For vacation, its when I leave my desk for work.

For Vegas vacation,

it is his, because you can sit on the runaway for hours only to have to turned back to the terminal.

If the flight gets delayed until the next day our trip will get cancelled. Since we only go for 3 nights, cutting it down to two just wouldn't work.

20. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For us it's when the plane is actually rolling down the runway. It used to be when we were seated on the plane, but on one trip we taxied to the edge of the runway only to have to return to the terminal because of a faulty cockpit light. 7 hours later it we were finally wheels up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.