1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas Message Board Vs Other Sites

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Packer, Mar 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Over the years I have disagreed with most of my hand slaps/infractions, but overall this is a great site with great people posting.

2. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

wank, you said this.. This... there are numerous threads that I ignore. Not everything needs a comment. Some questions have have answered numerous times. Maybe cause I have a 5 years and I teach, I am used to it.

You do agree no question is stupid. Although you and I have answered some questions 25 times it isn't the op fault. It might be their first time here and they have no idea you saw that same question about best burger in vegas 100 times. So I say help them if you can and answer it even though it is repetitive. True?

3. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did not mean it that way.

Absolutely. This place is not a search engine, it is a forum that thrives on discussion. I guarantee if I go back to October 2014 when I first joined the threads I asked that were an inquiry about where to stay downtown or whatever have been asked before me. I was helped out.

Also things change rapidly in vegas so the best burger or where to stay downtown could be different now as opposed to even 6 months ago.

So I do the same if it is an area I know about I am happy to help out as much as I can.

Not sure why this is a turn off to some.

Remember....

https://youtu.be/6mW7WlP1rc0

4. Packer

Packer VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I want to say THANK YOU for your candor! Nice to hear you express yourself this way. Do it more often. We all want to hear from the OWNER once in a while like this as opposed to only when we do something wrong or an announcement of something. You got a little personal and good for you. As I have told others, to make a successful site or any business it has to come from the top. Yours is successful due to you my dear! Oh, and the many posters that have come and gone and are still here for the last many years!

5. Travel Fanatic

Travel Fanatic The Arbiter of Taste Caviar Kid

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great thread! I already posted my thoughts on other vegas boards and blogs, but since Sonya opened the door, I will also add my perspective as a mod.

When I first joined VMB, I lurked for a while until I finally made a post. I received an RTFF kind of response and proceeded to keep to myself for another six months. After feeling a bit more comfortable understanding the tone of many of the conversations on here, I jumped back in and have been posting ever since. When Sonya asked me to help out as a moderator, I felt an obligation to do whatever I could to help, as I had gained so much information and entertainment from being a member of this community for a few years.

But I also quickly learned that my perspective had to change. I couldn't just shoot from the hip with some of my opinions (well, mostly .... don't look for any of my old baccarat debates, lol). I would also like to think that I have grown and improved as a moderator. Threads like this actually help in that regard. I always encourage anyone who receives an infraction, or a warning, or even just a heads up regarding on their threads or posts to communicate with the mods. It sucks to have a post edited or deleted. Doesn't happen often relative to the total number of posts to this site every day, but undoubtedly the member making the post does not feel that way. I know I have had some of my posts in the past disappear without an explanation, but as soon as I asked for one, I received it and it made sense (most often, it was because my post was responding to a post that had been deleted for violating the board rules).

I encourage members to send a message if they have questions. Many do. And the responses run the gamut. I have had some members quickly apologize for their post (which is not necessary). Others want to discuss and understand better why their post was modified or deleted. Some also just want to vent. And that's cool too. I have learned that some members aren't really trying to better understand what happened and may not want to be persuaded to see it from another perspective. I am fine with that as long as the conversation remains civil (which it does most of the time). I would rather those members vent to me in a private message rather than go on other sites and attack VMB's site leaders on a personal level. And perhaps most importantly, sometimes members contact me following a warning or infraction because I got it wrong. Sometimes the mods needs to see it from another perspective. I readily admit there are times I made a mistake in moderating (usually because I did not fully grasp the tone of a post and couldn't identify it as a joke, or the good natured ribbing Packer referred to). And Sonya has been great about cleaning up those mistakes and restoring posts. We are all human and make mistakes. But I believe the mistakes are quickly fixed on VMB and I will trade the rare mistake in moderating if it means keeping the conversations civil on here

The plans have changed
    Post-Shopping Recovery Period
  6. Julie888

Julie888 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Quick question. If a mod deletes or edits your post, are you notified? Not an explanation, just notified.

7. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to be a regular on another site and then found this board -- took me a while. Although I still post over there occasionally, I spend more time on here. For the most part people here are much friendlier. You are not tarred and feathered for posting that you eat at chain restaurants in Vegas or stay somewhere other than the Wynn or the Cosmopolitan. I appreciate all posters sharing their experiences whether they stay at the Wynn or Circus Circus. I can understand some posts being deleted but at the same time if they are not over the top it would help to see the true colors of some posters. I like having all the different categories to post and read.

I do not understand those that post on a thread to insult someone or they just have to comment on how silly the questions is etc. Or correcting someone's spelling or grammar. If a person is not going to help why bother to post anything?? Rhetorical I know.

8. wanker751

wanker751 Dutch Rudder Enthusiast

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Never understood that either. Low self esteem?

9. thecarve

thecarve Misanthrope

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will say that I was really pissed off when I made a post with a joke that had no actual politics involved. But the joke did happen to mention a law. Sonya edited the post and made a point to mention that the reason was "politics".

So, now I have a post in someone's TR that makes zero sense and looks like I'm a complete prick who wants to interrupt a TR with a non sequitur political rant. It seemed obvious to me that a more appropriate response would have been to either delete my response or just edit the post but not mention a reason. I absolutely hate the fact that I look like I'm trying to derail a TR with political commentary.

I really appreciated that. :rolleyes2:

That said, i love the VMB community and I'm appreciative that Sonya created it. I'll be a VMBer as long as Sonya will have me (despite my occasional quibbles).

10. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Unfortunately my answer has to be "It depends."

If we've given an infraction or warning to one of your posts, you will absolutely receive a PM to let you know about edits or deletions and what the rule was that we felt was violated. That's part of the system we have in place.

If we edit a post without an infraction or warning, our general policy is to send you a PM to let you know about the edit. However, sometimes a PM does not get sent, usually if it's only a minor edit or it's a member who knows the drill from previous issues. I know that personally, I sometimes get busy or need to attend to other things and I let it slip. I'm working on being better about that.

11. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I always try to keep the intent of the message when I make any edits. Sorry if I wasn't successful that time. All you ever need to do is send a PM with a link to the post and I'll be happy to delete it or whatever works for you.

My PM and email is always open to anyone here. I've got a life outside of this board, so I can't always instantly reply, but I do my best to get back to people as quickly as I can.

12. Corinne

Corinne Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Very well said Sonya. This is a great Board and I've leant so much from everyone which has probably saved me a lot of money over the years and enhanced my Vegas experience a lot. I know I can come here and it's like minded people. The other Boards are great too but I have to be careful after clicking on one link and my Granddaughter coming round and opening up my iPad where the link opened. Luckily she didn't notice what the picture was and is a bit too young anyway to know but made me think twice about what I click on (for my own sensitivity too, lol).

13. Sonya

Sonya Queen of VMB

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Full disclosure: I removed a couple of posts here as I felt they were going to lead to exactly what I didn't want to happen with this thread. I have no interest in having an us vs. the other guy debate here. Which is what I said earlier when asked why I edited the first post.
    Packer made some good points in the first post and asked some legitimate questions about the board. I think I've been candid in my responses here. I think it's wonderful that there are so many Vegas sites out there. Each have their own unique brand or personality. One site may work for one person, but not for another, which is why the variety is so great.

Back in the day, AVLV was the only real option and it could be a real disaster zone of negativity. I chose to make this a moderated board because it is what works for me and what I prefer. Of course, I hope that it works for other people too. ;)

I'm hopeful that we can keep this thread on track and not have to close it down. I've gotten a lot of good feedback and I'm taking it all in. As I have said a number of times, my email and PM are always open if people have questions, concerns, or suggestions about the running of the board.

14. abraxis

abraxis Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I came to this board because it was the first result she I searched for vegas related content upon installing tapatalk...I'm so very glad I've found this place. I don't know of any other sites. Reading this thread, I got curious to search for others, but then I never got around to it. I'm content with visiting just this place once or twice a day.

15. Happygirl21

Happygirl21 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Personally, I think this site is fantastic! There are so many great people, with so much valuable information and are willing to share, thank you! I have found, as soon as I start to think LV, I come to LVMB and search or ask, then BAM just like that, I get the info I was in need of.

Sonya, and the rest of the MODS, keep up the great work and thank you for all your effort and energy, LVMB is the bomb!

16. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There's actually a parallel in real life in what's happening with the boards that will demonstrate how I feel.

There's a really good, authentic Irish pub about 2 miles from my house that's owned by a couple of guys from Dublin. Great place, great people, great staff, great Irish bands. Over the years, I've become friends with most of the staff, many patrons, and some of the bands (at 57, I'm a groupie!!). A home away from home. Just like VMB, if it had music.

One of the senior staff has always wanted to have his own place and finally was able to open one about 10 miles from here. And only about a mile from where I work! He was always a little frustrated at the old place because the management had a different business philosophy, and he though the place could be even better if they did a few things differently. I really like this guy and am very happy that he has this chance to live his dream. So, of course, I will drop into his new place and have a pint or two. It's in a different section of town, different vibe, he hasn't got music going yet, but the food is better than my "regular" and it's got a great feel. Some of the folks from the old place hang out there because it's closer to home for them, but there's a lot of folks I don't know as well. I don't know exactly how the new pub will develop, but I really like it so far. I'll stop in often on my way home from work. He carries a better brand of Irish whiskey too.

Oh, and I do occasionally go to other pubs when my favorite bands are playing there!

So, same thing as in the boards. What's really important is the community and the people who hang out there. This is a great place, great people, great staff, but I also understand some folks wanting see things done a little differently. I really appreciate the folks here and the atmosphere that keeps things on a even keel. I don't like watching a bar fight every night! But sometimes a little more rowdy scene and a good argument is fun too.

Just like the pubs, I win! More places to go, a few more people to meet, and a little different perspective on life and Vegas but this is my regular. Now if Sonya starts serving Green Spot and gets some music, I might be here 24/7...

17. zolar31

zolar31 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't post much, but I am on here everyday reading the topics that interest me.
    Keep up the great work VMB staff. I appreciate the hard work.

I agree. I remember those days.
    I have one good memory from AVLV. I once posted a trip report and got one of these..

WOW!!! WOW!!!
    =SEN0UR TR0UT=

18. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've participated in hundreds of boards and run a few and they follow predictable patterns, and I'm sure in 15 years Sonya has seen everything, not to say that there are never new variations.

People have no idea what it takes to get to and maintain the scale of VMB.

Unless you intentionally set out to create a micro-niche board with a couple of dozen active participants, moderation is the key. An over or under moderated board ends up as a zombie treehouse. Look at what happened to Shackelford's board, that had deep potential for serious gamblers, but the #1 thread is about who got suspended for what; granted I always suspected he started it as some sort of social experiment for his own amusement.

I've had a few posts removed and mostly ended up being glad they were. It's not an exact science. I think the no politics rule is the single most important one and I give posters a lot of credit for observing it.

19. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This is better than the censorship on Trip Advisor.

No, I do not wish to expound on that.

20. Bo333

Bo333 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love the fact that this site is highly moderated. I used to occasionally post VERY technical articles on some tech sites and it was amazing to me that the comments session would eventually turn into some sort of nasty conversation.

How my fellow techies would turn a conversation about software optimization or semiconductor layout into something political or religious left me dumbfounded. But they always managed it. I would have loved to have moderators to immediately remove anything off topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.