1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

My rental car drama and planning our trip to Vegas!

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by MsNVegas, Feb 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MsNVegas

MsNVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm not sure, if this is the forum to post this, I'm sure someone will let me know right?

Well the planning was first 7 of us, myself, my DH, my 2 kids, their GF' and my mom, until I talked to my husband about taking my niece, which she's also my God-Daughter, she's 21 in her last year of college, I don't get to spend much time with her, needless to say when I called to talk to her about it, there was no hesitation, I asked about her classes, she said don't worry I'll take care of them lol, so anyway we have a Titanium Fusion, not enough room for 8 of us, so we are renting a vehicle and taking our car as well. As we needed a guarantee 8 passenger vehicle, we had booked an SUV XL, but was told it wasn't guaranteed we would get one, I don't like having doubt, it does something to the mind lol.

Okay so I asked about Priceline, on the getting around forum, as I had never used it, I know, I'm probably the only one here who's never used it. I was very very dumb! First off I went through Dollar Rental online, a decent rate, but I started feeling I didn't want to go with Dollar, when I called the 800# I learned it was a 3rd party by the name of I think it's called CARHIRE I ended up canceling, I had also noticed on my bank acct an international charge of $13.13 so I call the bank and it was my bank charging the fee for an international call! I was like What? They gave me a credit, CARHIRE also credited my account within like 3 days.

Getting to Priceline and the very very dumb lol! Well I put a bid in for like $22 to $23 per day for a car, it was accepted, until I entered all my personal info, along with my credit card info, the price shot up, to where I was like No Way! So I call Priceline, also did the chat online, I was told my card wouldn't be charged since my original bid wasn't accepted, that I would need to wait 24 hours before trying again. Okay I felt better knowing my card wasn't going to be charged, since it was entered.

So! on the forum I read where someone uses Costco, of which we are executive members, have never used their travel services I know! So we went on Costco site booked an intermediate suv, although we are only going for 3 days mid-week, coming back on the 4th day, we didn't want to rent from the airport as I was told its more expensive renting at the airport, So we are renting it for 6 days, for only $169.00 we thought well let's check picking it up on Sunday verses Saturday and the rate went up quite a bit. Now it may be due to change as one of my son's GF was told they could give her 3 days, off from work, but 4 is pushing it, so they may take either her or my son's car, since they may have to leave early, so I said let me know, way ahead of time, that way we wouldn't have to take our car as well, good grief am I making any sense? Be kind about it lol. Anyway This is what we have worked out so far, as for other planning while in Vegas, I'm too brain dead after the rental car drama.

2. DrLect

DrLect Winning!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I see what you mean. It does seem dramatic!

3. smerrian

smerrian View from Bally's

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Goodness, you do bring a lot of drama to renting a car. Personally, I've never had any drama in over 20 years of renting cars in Las Vegas.

4. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    edited...hope you have a good trip

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  5. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Renting is usually much cheaper renting from the airport - the taxes are higher but the rates make up for it. I would check again and compare airport pickup.

6. sarah9nascar

sarah9nascar VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Are you renting a car from Vegas or from where you are from??? Didn't understand that part with some taking their own cars.

Sema Show
  7. nostresshere

nostresshere Mr. Anti Debit Card

Trips to Las Vegas:
    and even that varies city by city...not sure where the OP is renting from.

8. M0rtyC

M0rtyC TBD

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Wow. How about your own car and then when you need it Uber or Lyft. No drama there.

9. Chuck2009x

Chuck2009x VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You may have more drama coming, if you rent a car at a weekly rate and return it too early, there may be a penalty.

10. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've never rented from Costco or third parties so can't comment on them. I've always had good luck just booking on Dollar.com. Become a Dollar "Express" member first. Then book best rate for the car you want after poking around site a bit to find best deal / option. "City Special" used to save me money not sure if that is still available. After booking keep checking daily and rebook if rates come down. There is no penalty for cancelling.

IMHO it is very important to be an Express member it will save you a lot of time and headache.

Have a great trip.

TomTWI

11. MsNVegas

MsNVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'm sorry, I left out that we are renting a car from our home to Vegas. I wanted all of us to travel together, but it seems we are gonna have to travel in 2 different vehicles, it's too expensive to purchase 8 airline tickets for everyone, as my DH and I are paying for everyone's trip, rooms, meals, minus their own spending money.

It's a long drive, I want everyone to feel comfortable and safe. Now what would help is if, one of the GF' can get the 4th day off, the GF' said they don't mind taking one of their car', they are 19 and their parents are hesitant to let them drive that far, one of the parents said she doesn't mind so much, knowing they will be following us, that way 4 in each car, but we are still waiting to see if the GF will get the 4th day off, if not they will have to come back early, that will still leave 6 in our car, to travel back home, not enough room! I know so much damn confusion, drama and UGH!

12. MsNVegas

MsNVegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thank you! I truly hope we do, we've endured a lot in life lately. We did originally book with Dollar it was an online booking, that's when I learned it was a third party booking, overseas, also I wasn't guaranteed an 8 passenger vehicle, I don't like having uncertainty, so I cancelled the reservation. Priceline didn't accept the bid, I didn't like the price, I'm really not greedy.

So we do have a booking through Costco, an intermediate SUV the price is great. what would be the ultimate for me, is if one of my son' GF was given the go to have the 4th day off from work, both of the girls said they wouldn't mind taking their car. You see my sons have their cars, but room wise not really, one has a 98 corvette, the other has a mustang, not really enough leg room in back seat for a near 8 hour drive. I don't explain myself very clear. Just giving my experiences of renting a car from home, now if I was in Vegas, no problems, we've only rented a car in Vegas a few times, we've never had any drama/problems lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.