1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

new home builder

Discussion in 'Living in Sin (City that is)' started by twoeeyy, Jan 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twoeeyy

twoeeyy Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was wondering if anyone here had any reviews on KB home builders or Lennar ?

thank you.Jen

2. vegasbound

vegasbound VIP Whale

I've not built a home with either. My experience is limited to the shopping experience. Years ago, we nearly built a KB Home, but they would not budge on changes that diverted from their plans. We wanted to expand the shower and have no tub in the master, but it simply was not an option. We would need to build it per spec, then hire a contractor to remove and reconfigure to fit our needs. When we looked again last summer, they still held firm with their plans. We inquired about replacing windows with a sliding glass door, but that was structural change and not remotely possible. I never got that far in a Lennar home. I do like they offer high grade appliances, etc as standard, but their homes reflect that in their pricing.

My cousin did, however, build a KB Home last year. The home is beautiful, but it took a great commitment on his end throughout the building process. He was on site multiple times a week and they still framed the upstairs improperly and it had to be completely redone which delayed the project about a month. Multiple friends have built with Richmond American, their issues were minor and timelines were met. We were going to build with Toll Brothers, but we got cold feet before going to contract. It was for the best. We instead purchased a resale home that was less than two years old.

3. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Almost went with KB and Lennar but decided on Van Metre for mine 2 years ago. You cant go wrong with any of these companies but I wouldnt go with Ryan Homes if that is in your area.

4. Snidely

Snidely VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used a smaller builder we had never heard of and things went great. We closed within 3 days of what was promised and did a couple customizations that only involved small architectural drawing charges and no additional construction charges. The fees to move a structural wall are very high. It's not a simple matter. The builder liked our customization in the master bath so much that they made it the standard way to build it in our model now.

Are you more concerned with quality of construction or delivery timelines?

5. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    KB's rep is so-so at best. Lennar is held in better regard. Merchant builders aren't generally known for their craftsmanship, however. There are exceptions, of course. I would not buy a KB home.

6. broncofn

broncofn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree and they are ALL basically cookie cutter homes in certain communities Ken. I even "built" a home. With options, sizes, structures, etc some builders are much better than others.

Yes, you can do much better and maybe cheaper buying a piece of land/plot and bringing in a crew and your own builder but ive heard horror stories going that route also. (My friend just went to court and won a law suit for his 30k sq ft home he was building about his ceiling which was structural and couldnt be changed).

This is all being simple and not getting into a discussion about real estate agents, commissions, zonings and other things to make that happen.

This is my friends home that was on the market and he ran into problems while building his new home if anyone wants to buy it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_DvcE5WG-lQ

http://m.movoto.com/clifton-va/12206-henderson-rd-clifton-va-20124-310_fx9008166/

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  7. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I don't think most folks are up to the task of building custom or semi-custom, however. Particularly not at the level of a starter or middling home since that is where the economies of affordability come in with the big dogs.

Every decent-sized market has local/regional builders who do spec or merchant, and do it well. Like everything else the task is to do your homework, real homework, for that market. KB etc. are what they are across their massive portfolios. I also like a re-do, finding a mid-century build when the bones still were bones, the design and architectural treatments were still those of a craftsman, and fixing/bringing current the other stuff.

8. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You mean like "Flipping Vegas". ROFLMAO

TomTWI

9. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    TV show? I've not seen it.

10. TomTWI

TomTWI Custom Title

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a reality show with out reality.

TomTWI

11. ken2v

Trips to Las Vegas:
    lol, Tom. Is there a reality show with reality?

12. Leeza14

Leeza14 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any experience with or knowledge of Ryland Homes (now CalAtlantic)? I'm looking at a couple of their developments. Good? Bad? Ugly? Thanks! :beer:

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.