1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

It is official -- I totally screwed up our up coming trip

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by vwhiten, Jan 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    :cry: My husband does not enjoy Las Vegas nearly as much as I do. He understands how much stress I have been under the last few years and how much I love going. I planned this trip way back in March for January. It was to coincide with the Marine Corps Scout Sniper Association reunion at the Shot Show. His proudest accomplishment in life (other than marrying me :evillaugh) is the time he spent in the Marines as a sniper. He has been out of the Marines since 1992 and has belonged to this organization for years but never been able to attend any meetings. I was so happy I talked him into a trip around an event geared around him. I used the agenda for last year -- the meeting was on a Thursday. They never released the agenda for this year until January 3. I had us arriving early Thursday morning -- plenty of time for a meet up. Their reunion honors the Scout Sniper of the year and the guest speakers are Dakota Meyer and Governor Perry -- being from Texas this would be a dream lineup for my husband.

Well, as luck or no luck has it the meeting is on Wednesday. I checked Southwest and I know I could easily change the flight - for even less than I booked. I arranged another nurse to come in early for me so I could leave straight from my hospital to the airport Wednesday morning. Then I called MGM to tack on another night` -- Wednesday. We are booked for 5 nights starting Thursday -- all in for a little under $500. The best the VIP desk could do was $400 for Wednesday night. -- When I add in another night in the doggie resort for our weenie dogs it would be over $450. I don't have a huge budget and with property taxes due this month so I can't spend that much on one night. I even checked some of the other lesser properties around. Westgate, TI, -- all $$$$ -

The only thing I can do is get a downtown hotel for one night. -- which would be fine with me. I found rates at the D and El Cortez for $60-80. However, I don't think my husband would go for it -- he hates changing hotels -- we have done it twice before -- plus he has made it clear he does not want to stay downtown.

So it is official -- I blew it.

2. Rodent Pack

Rodent Pack S.S. Minnow

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I sure understand the property tax pinch. I've got to think with the way all the other details have aligned well I would do whatever it takes to make this trip work. Soon you'll forget about the extra $450 +/-, but you and your husband will have some great memories from the reunion and from your time in Vegas.

Hope it works out for you!

3. IWannaBeInVegas

IWannaBeInVegas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Could you stay at Luxor, Trop, Excal or should I say it, Hooters for less for the night? I know he does not want to change hotels but that would be an extra night and not downtown. Check Expedia or the sorts for cheaper rooms as well.

4. parallax

parallax High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    look at the tuscany as well.

5. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    My husband gets offers from Luxor and Excal all the time -- I don't know why I didn't think about checking with them. I will do that. Keeping my fingers crossed.

6. Hobofrank

Hobofrank Prime Minister of Idiocracy

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Guys the problem is that SHOT Show is a big deal and this close to the date?
    Prices will be high unfortunately everywhere

7. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Yep I know and they scheduled around the Shot Show on purpose. The problems is those Marines waited until Jan 3 to post the meeting date. :bang: We can get almost any hotel downtown for cheap. Everything on the strip seems sold out or mega $$$. Hopefully I can talk him into the D, Plaza, MSS.

8. hammie

hammie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Check out Vdara as well, part of Mlife along with Luxor and Excalibur. Don't beat yourself up, remind your Marine that sh!t happens 9 months out when planning a trip like this, focus on the fun he will have at the reunion, adapt and modify.

9. Valgal

Valgal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For anyone in Vegas on January 20th at the time the awards ceremony to the two Marines being honoried - one Scout Sniper of the Year and one Scout Sniper Instructor of the Year -- is open to the public at the Venetian at 4:30 pm in the Delfino Ballroom.

10. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you can save $450 by staying one day downtown - do it, you said money matters, tell your husband to suck it up bigboy.

11. kps

kps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fully agree with Hammie.

Trading off 1 night downtown plus cab rides to be at a meeting that he would enjoy is a no brainer to me. Remember you set it all up around his fun. Focus on that. If he whines and complains about changing hotels book downtown anyway and then when he comes back happy as a claim after going, remind him to say thank you.

Have a great trip.

12. VegasDave

VegasDave Addicted

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This, cant have it every way as much as we want to.

13. Marky147

Marky147 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This

Tell him to just give it a chance, and he might even like it.

14. ajp

ajp High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Exactly, you made this change to accommodate an event that is totally for him. If it is as important as I think it is and you say it is then it should be a honor to attend, no matter where he has to stay or if he has to change hotels.

15. breanna61

breanna61 Super Moderator

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is very easy to change hotels....don't unpack at the hotel the first night. Add a night and go. Life is short and with something going on that your husband enjoys, it is a no-brainer. Definitely go with a cheaper option...Luxor, Excalibur, Tropicana. All an easy walk from MGM.

16. irishdave

irishdave VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This seriously. I'm ex-Air Force and I get what a cool experience that would be for him. Could you shave a night or two off the end to save a little on boarding both you and the dogs? Sounds like you could be sleeping in the dog house anyway! ;) Hope it all works out for you.

17. mrstealth

mrstealth VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hey Val, You sound like a very thoughtful person and an amazing wife, and although your husband would prefer to not change hotels or stay downtown, I think if you explained the situation to him he would understand. As the previous poster stated, moving hotels is really not that big of a deal, and staying downtown for 1 night may actually be kind of fun.

X-RATED RESPONSE - tell him you will "FILL IN THE BLANK" if he moves and stays downtown for 1 night.

18. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. This trip is more for him and he will surely agree with the one night DT.

19. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This sounds like an event that people would plan in advance for, including travel arrangements....I'm not understanding how they could wait until only a few weeks beforehand to release the schedule of events.

That said, I agree with breanna. Forgot the whole "one night downtown" scenario and stay wherever you find the cheapest deal on the south strip.

20. Geogran

Geogran VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hi from a fellow Texan,

I'm sure your husband will appreciate all the hard work and planning you've put in so both of you can enjoy a) Vegas for you and b) his Marine Corps Reunion.

Since he doesn't like downtown, and he doesn't like changing hotels, and MGM Grand sounds just too expensive for that extra night - try for a 50/50 split - or compromise, if you will:
    NO Downtown - sounds like he really doesn't like downtown, this might make changing hotels a little more palatable to him.

Do a less expensive hotel south strip or even west of the Interstate for one night stay - If Luxor or Excalibur don't work our, what about Tropicana, or South Point, or Rio, Gold Coast are just a short cab ride away. Pack an overnight bag for one night, don't unpack the other luggage for easy departure the next day.

If all else fails, spend the extra money on the MGM Grand as this sounds like a once in a lifetime event.

I'm betting this will be one of the most memorable trips and you'll both laugh at the little bumps in the road getting there....after all, he is a Marine!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.