1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Meadowlark Lemon

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Breeze147, Dec 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Since we seem to be in obit mode, how about a shout out to Meadowlark, the quintessential Globie.

2. smartone

smartone VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No question about it! What a player AND entertainer!!! Clown Prince of basketball... as my kids were growing-up in the 90's, I'd find the Globetrotters on occasionally, but it just wasn't the same after he left. Wide World of Sports on a Saturday afternoon in the late 60's, early 70's with the Harlem Globetrotters playing the Washington Generals and Meadowlark Lemon running the show. Damn good entertainment!

3. merlin

merlin MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember he would be doing those over the shoulder hook shots from mid court, even 10 rows up in the stands and would make them. RIP.

4. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The athleticism and showmanship were OUT there! Thanks so much for the spectacle and memories.

(And for those of us of an older persuasion: Thinking back on how going to a Globetrotters game was an EVENT, a special experience ... I'm glad I'm of one of the last eras where everything entertainment did not/does not come courtesy of an Xbox.)

5. KnowItAll

KnowItAll VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wonder if he will have his ashes in a bucket in place of the confetti trick? Too soon??????

6. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Great man in many ways,he was the play caller for the Trotters,remember the constant chatter he did ? That was also signals to the team for which gag was to be played.
    I always wanted to play for the Generals ,the team that traveled with them. How good do you have to be to play on a team that loses every game.

7. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I watched him play at the old Salt Palace in downtown SLC in the 70's. What a master of the court.

Bill

8. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Meadowlark played an exhibition at my old HS.
    The tickets were sold out immediately. It was a HUGE event for the town !
    After that show ---
    the varsity baskets HS team began playing "Sweet Georgia Brown" in warm ups.
    "Red" was the guard for the Washington(?) Generals -- ( can't remember his last name ?).
    The Generals DID WIN on occasions !
    Probably, when those players checks "bounced" or something pissed them off.

9. Jerseyguy

Jerseyguy MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Red Klotz was his name ,he was from AC . He owned,coach and played for the Generals. I think he may have died last year ?

10. Terry Benedict

Terry Benedict VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I saw the (JV) Globetrotters when I was in fifth grade. Meadowlark, Marcus Haynes, and the guy with the HUGE afro were not there.
    I was amazed how often they hit the hook shot from half court during warmups. Then they hit two (out of two) during the game. Remarkable skill. I get that a lot of their gags are because there is no defense by the Generals, but hitting a shot from half court consistently in a new gym is remarkable.
    I also remember them kicking one in from half court. Amazing.

No one would believe it nowadays.

11. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I remember as a little kid we would go see them at the arena. I was so amazed at their ball handling skills and precision shooting. I didn't know that this was just a "show", that the opposing team was part of this show.

As a little kid I believed the Harlem Globetrotters were invincible and would beat any team on earth and in the entire universe.

12. Breeze147

Breeze147 Button Man

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You were a far out kid.

13. Electroguy563

Electroguy563 Vegas Joker

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Ah, the days of wide-eyed wonder. And believing impossible dreams were possible. All because of people like Meadowlark Lemon.

May he rest in peace.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.