1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

show recommendations - everything we wanted is gone

Discussion in 'Shows & Entertainment' started by doggz109, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doggz109

doggz109 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So we will be in town Feb 16-20. We haven't been to Vegas in around 10 years so everything is pretty new to us (married couple, late 30s). We had really wanted to go see Love, Carrot Top, and maybe hang out at The Bourbon Room one night.

Bad luck hit us before we were even in town though.

Carrot Top is dark. Love is closing to change things up a little bit. And the Bourbon Room is closing 1 week before we get there. Boo!!!!

OK...so any recommendations? We are open to anything.....Cirque, comedy, etc. We also want to find a nice lounge/club that maybe plays more 80s/rock type music rather than the current club music scene. One where we can get some decent drinks, people watch, dance a bit....but not a meat market or overly pretentious.

Give me your ideas!

2. ssyx

ssyx Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    If you like rock, then I would recommend "Raiding the rock vault" at the Trop'.
    Me and my other half have seen it twice and loved it both times. Like you, we are in our late thirties.

Tickets are pretty cheap via travelzoo too. You can buy them online and then get a printable voucher thing that you take to the box office and tell them what date you want to go.

3. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree on Raiding the Rock Vault. If you like 70's/80's just get through the first 30'ish minutes of the show and you'll love it.

Penn and Teller are probably the best non-music show we've seen in Vegas, highly recommend. Rumor also is Bourbon Room is moving to Rio (where P/T are), doubt it happens by Feb, but keep an eye out.

Taking the wife to a work conference
  4. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Following up on my previous thread, my wife and I are in a similar situation. We are in town from the 17-22 of February, and are having trouble finding a show we want to see. We like to use shows to break up the gambling (we tend to gamble ALL day if we don't), and in a typical trip have a 2-to-1 night-to-show ratio. We just don't see much that appeals for this coming trip.

We might hit up showstoppers at Wynn, since its next door, and would be something different than we've seen in previous trips - we've heard good things, although its a bit pricey. Another option for us is a CDS show, although we've seen 3 or 4 in Vegas, and after a while they just get old regardless of the "theme". We wanted to see Elton's show, but looks like he's wrapping it up end of January. We also considered something completely different and going down to Excal for that silly knights show. I went to Medieval Times a couple times as a kid so seems like it might be a fun throwback.

5. doggz109

doggz109 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! Raiding the Rock Vault sounds like just what we were looking for!

6. bignig135

bignig135 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Withiut a doubt Raiding the Rock Vault! We love stage musicals, but decided against Showstoppers simply because all of the songs seem to hark back to the older musicals, maybe try to check the current setlist before booking.

7. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Thanks for the tip, that would be good to know. We saw Sinatra in November at Palazzo since it was closing just for the experience. Probably the most boring show I've seen in Vegas. I think there was a good show there somewhere, just not the way he did it. I could see Showstoppers being the same way - if you don't pick the right songs and acts, its only going to appeal to a very, very small subset of the population.

I said it above, but will again, Raiding the Rock Vault is a great show.

8. beuhner

beuhner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would suggest, if you like 80's rock music to check out Rock of Ages. We are the same age bracket as you and our party of 6 loved it! Also go see Absinthe instead of Cirque du Soleil, you won't regret it!

9. Jejas

Jejas VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Depends on what you like.
    I got two free tickets to Raiding the Rock Vault but I trashed them because I hate rock music (or anything that is loud).

10. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Have you seen the Blue Man Group? I highly recommend it for people who want to see something "different" It's really hard to describe a BMG show, you'd have to look at YouTube for some samples.

I can pretty much tell you that if you DON'T like.

Loud music
    Pounding drums
    Having to think about the humor
    Having to read fast
    Huge (I mean huge) inflated balls bouncing around the theater
    Big paper towel rolls coming down from the back of the theater across the crowd

then stay away.

I've seen it 4 times (3 times different) In the last 10 years and have always been entertained.

If you like 50's Rockabilly, you might consider "The Million Dollar Quartet" I wrote a review

\\https://www.vegasmessageboard.com/forums/showthread.php?126466-Review-The-Million-Dollar-Quartet&highlight=Million+Dollar+Quartet

11. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Considering they were hoping to go to the Bourbon Room, I think they're ok with "loud rock music" :thumbsup: (if Bourbon room is closing/moving, will Rock of Ages still be running? They're supposedly linked...)

12. queuetee

queuetee VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I liked Showstoppers at the Encore. Actually if you are coming down from the Strip, get off at the Wynn since the showroom is a huge walk if you enter via the Encore. It is classic, well known Broadway songs/dances and it moves very quickly.

The biggest negative is the comfort level of the seats. I expected more room and a higher comfort level for a new showroom and it just wasn't there.

13. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope, its closing in January (3rd I believe). Rumor has it possibly moving to Rio, not sure if that's confirmed or not. I suspect the initial post lamenting everything being closed may in part be a reference to this show going away. V/P is cleaning house with all their shows, interested to see what the new line-up shapes up like come end of 2016.

14. Junkyard Hog

Junkyard Hog High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absinthe is our favorite show.

15. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    pollstar.com

16. paperposter

paperposter MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    there doing residency john fogerty , diana ross , judds and stuff like that too compete at v/p , ps i loved the sintra show and the comedy stuff , i know diana ross sold really well shes coming back

rumor is rock will be at rio ,

17. RedBeard

RedBeard Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Absinthe is great. I've seen it twice and will see it again. It is a fun, bawdy show with some seriously great talent.

Check it out.

18. YoungGun

YoungGun VIP Whale

Rock of Ages will open at Rio on January 25th. No word yet on if the Bourbon Room will be following it to the Rio as well. The Bourbon Room at The Venetian won't close until February. Great show, much better than the film.

19. chantellevegas

chantellevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Love is closing??

20. chantellevegas

chantellevegas Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I second Absinthe or Blue Man. Blue Man isn't at all what we expected and it was great the first time. Second time not so much because the unexpectedness was gone but its a good production show.

Absinthe is pure talent, and features old sideshow type acts using human strength and precision, mixed with comedy and sass.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.