1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

tried a new type of Ale... Gruit

Discussion in 'Non-Vegas Chat' started by Packer Backer, Dec 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Packer Backer

Packer Backer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    went to a new restaurant called INDUSTRY in Calabasas CA. They have I think 20 beers on tap. tried a new variety I had never heard of . A Gruit Ale.
    it was different and I am not sure what to make of it yet. uses a variety of spices and herbs and not hops for flavoring...
    Anyone else have comments on this type of ale?

2. MoneyToBurn

MoneyToBurn Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We have a brewery here in Vankleek Hill, Ontario, Canada that offers a gruit. Their first one was http://beaus.ca/beer/bog-water/ , and an Imperial version called Bog Father, and they say they'll offer a different one each quarter for the upcoming year. To me, it is something to drink with a meal or course.

Edit- Let me add that February 1 appears to be International Gruit Day- http://www.gruitday.com/

3. Joe Strummer

Joe Strummer VIP Whale

Not up on this ?
    Is it fermented from fruit ?

4. HoyaHeel

HoyaHeel Grammar Police & Admin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Nope.

Traditionally hops were used in brewing because they are a preservative. Now they're used because people like the aroma and flavor. But certain herbs & spices could also be used as preservatives - hence the gruit :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.