1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Vegas with plantar fasciitis.... tips?

Discussion in 'Misc. Vegas Chat' started by queentata, Nov 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I have been struggling with it for several months now...just recently out of a "boot". If any of you have tips to help with all the walking so as not to aggravate it again, I would love to hear them.

2. Hogman

Hogman VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    After my last bout I had a insole made for my shoes. I would make sure you wear shoes with good support.

3. UTE

UTE Plastics

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The walking distances, even in a single big resort, are so much that we bagged it when my wife was having similar problems and opted for a wheelchair. There are several companies that deliver them fast to any of the hotels or condos. Desk staff or a Concierge can hook you up.

Bill

4. queentata

queentata VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hope I won't have to, but good to know!

5. eaglejohn

eaglejohn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    less walking if you stay downtown. Get uber and lyft codes. Use bus for transportation. you can rent the mobility scooters for around $100+ for a week.

6. BayouBengal

BayouBengal VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had it before and ended up with tendonitis in my foot too after running the Vegas marathon. Unfortunately there isn't much more than rest. But I found ibuprofen to reduce the inflammation. A good insole is good too, for most people Dr Scholls is more than fine. Also I found running shoes to be best while avoid my usual chuck Taylor's and dress shoes. While in your room you might want to use a tennis to help massage the bottom of your foot.

7. C0usineddie

C0usineddie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Get yourself some kt tape. You will kick yourself for not trying it earlier.

[youtube]WTSOQg680mc[/youtube]

8. NCAAHoops

NCAAHoops VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I would also suggest insoles. I was able to get ride of my pain with insoles which I said would never help. The Dr said give it a try the worse is you stop using them. It took some time to get them correct and now I do not walk around without them.

Also be sure to stretch each morning as soon as you wake up then continue to stretch the lower legs each day for 3 or 4 times each day as this was very helpful for me.

I hope you are able to ease some of the pain and can enjoy your trip.

9. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I wrecked my knee 6 weeks before a Vegas trip. At the 2 week mark I finally went to a physiotherapist. He got me sorted out for my trip. Plan B was renting one of those scooters. I'd say do whatever and have the phone number for the scooter people as a plan B. No need to suffer in Vegas.

10. Auggie

Auggie Dovahkiin

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I did Las Vegas with plantar fasciitis a few years ago, it wound up being not too bad for me. The pain came a few months before one of our trips and in that time I tried out about 6 different insoles before I found some that actually worked for my problem (some gave a little relief, some did nothing) and I did exercises every day so that when the trip finally came most of the pain I had was first thing in the morning and then as the day went on I just made sure to sit down as much as I could.

11. carolineno

carolineno VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I swear by Dansko shoes and sandals. I don't think I will ever get rid of my plantar fasciitis completely, but this brand makes it tolerable. I also use the drug store brand inserts for the condition if I have just regular shoes on. I generally walk 3 miles a day as my commute to work, so these tactics work for me. I think there is a Walking Company store in the Forum Shops, if you get in a pinch.

12. LolaDoggie

LolaDoggie VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bring your tennis ball or whatever to roll your feet in the room too.

13. Joe

Joe VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    The tennis ball and stretching several times per day.

14. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I came down with a dose of PF six or seven years ago in Reno. I walked several rounds at Edgewood and Redhawk, then walked a round in the Reno-Tahoe Open pro-am in brand new shoes that were part of the swag bag. My foot was sore the next morn but I didn't think anything of it until I tried to get out of the car in Bishop during a stop, and it was as if someone had run a dagger through my foot when I stepped down. So that's my way of saying I empathize.

My recovery took me the opposite direction of what most people are told to try, I went totally flat/minimalist in all my footwear and haven't had my feet in any footwear since with any type of support. Not long thereafter I was researching an article on footwear and talked to some MD/PhD types as to the physiology of the foot and how most people all ill-served by all the drop, thick midsoles, narrow toe boxes and uber arch support in runners and trainers.

15. npom

npom VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I had to go to a foot dr. and have insoles made for me. They are expensive but insurance covered most of it. In the mean time, Dr. Scholls, ibuprofen and taping your foot like in the video above will work wonders.

16. Kingbarkus

Kingbarkus Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've suffered with PF in Vegas. I would follow the suggestions made in the thread. There is a brace sold at places such as CVS that you can sleep in. It stretches the tendon while you sleep and prevents that special pain in the morning. My PF has eased up after 6 months of suffering. I have switched to the Brooks Launch 2 training shoes rather than running shoes.

17. Blonde_4_ever

Blonde_4_ever LasVegas4ever.com

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I was just about to say what KingBarkus did.
    The thing that actually cured my PF was a foot brace that I slept in that held my foot in a certain position.
    It was annoying to sleep that way but it helped tremendously.

18. TriggerMN

TriggerMN The Norwegian Hammer

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've had it twice, both times it took about 8 months to go away. The sleeping boot is a HUGE help. My wife has a great tip for you....wear the boot in the airport, you can claim "disability" and get on the plane faster!

50th birthday bash! Cosmo/Horseshoe
    50th birthday bash! Cosmo/Horseshoe
  19. WhskeyTangoFoxtrot

WhskeyTangoFoxtrot MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Call your doctor and ask for a 7 day steroid taper.

20. mescalita

mescalita old and in the way...

Trips to Las Vegas:
    This won't help in Vegas, but when you get back home try Airrosti for treatment - there are quite a few practitioners in the Houston area, and they just might be able to fix your foot....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.