1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

And comments regarding Advantage Rental car?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by MGinCO, Sep 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I currently have Dollar rented for 4 nites, Thanksgiving week.
    Advantage would cost $50 less.
    I know I would have to wait in line vs going right to my car for Dollar, but $50 less is $50 more I have for gambling.

2. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used to use it when our in-house TA used to book with them when they were affiliated with Hertz. I never had any issues and I liked that they had free XM. They never gave me a hassle about declining their overpriced insurance.

Then Hertz sold them off and I haven't used them since. No particular reason, actually.

The only bad thing I've heard is from a co-worker who said he once saw the Advantage line out in the middle of the rotunda in the rental center.

3. BlackJackLady

BlackJackLady High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    We used them last visit. No big issues. They were out of the car we reserved (standard) and wanted to charge us 10.00 a day for next size up (full) but we refused and said we'd take the intermediate. Once he saw my mobility scooter he upgraded us to the Impala with no up charge. When we got to the parking lot the car assigned to us was scratched, dented and grill was messed up so Hubby started taking pictures so we wouldn't be penalized. I went back to key person and asked for the car sitting right next to ours and click click we switched to a non damaged car.

4. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I rented from Advantage in Vegas 2 weeks ago. I was there about 4:30 in the afternoon. There was one other person in front of me in addition to the 2 already with clerks (only had 2 clerks working) so I didn't have very long to wait. I reserved an economy car but the clerk upgraded me to a camry. I usually find Advantage automatically upgrading me at least one car type up so it was nice to get a "full sized" camry, lol.

I was lucky though, the clerk I was with didn't give me any runaround or the usual speech about buying extras. The other guy wasn't as lucky as I overheard his clerk trying to get the guy to buy extras and about loss of use, etc.

I did have a "problem" though. My car was scratched all over, seems like someone keyed the car. I took it up with the attendant but she just said to note it on the form that lists/shows all the damage the vehicle had before you take it out of the lot. Brought it back over 10 days ago and no extra charges so everything turned out fine for me.

One thing to note: seems like Advantage has a little different system with your rentals. You go through the line inside to get your car assignment and paperwork, then you go outside to the booth where that person looks over your paperwork, directs you to your car and tells you to examine the car and note any scratches or damage and sign that paper to say that you checked out the car. Then you go to the gate and scan your paperwork (bar code) and it will open up for you to be on your way.

5. Tahoejoe2

Tahoejoe2 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So you are saying that nobody gets a copy of your damage assessment? You just write it down and leave? No attendant at gate when you leave parking lot?

6. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    No, you do your damage assessment and give it to the attendant in the booth (by the doors to the facility) when you sign it. Attendant gets a copy and you get the other. There is no attendant at the gate when you leave the lot, you just scan your bar code and it opens up by itself.

Yeah, I know it's the first time for any vegas rental agency I didn't see someone at the gate checking your paperwork before leaving but guess they do it in the booth when you come out of the doors to the facility.

7. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    One thing our in-house TA told me is that in many markets, some rental agencies do not normally stock true economy type cars but will accept bookings for them and simply use compacts or whatever is available. IIRC, Advantage at LAS is one of these.

8. tvon

tvon VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    10 years ago i did, a dreadful experience. Since then, I've still heard lots of bad stories about the upsell for extra insurance, the crappy cars and getting nickel and dimed for scratches on the car (that were there when you picked it up). IMHO, I only go with the "majors", however I recently dropped Thrifty/Dollar for the same reason.

9. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think I had the upsell thing from just about every rental agency in vegas. I think it just depends if they have butthead clerks who do those things and whether you are unlucky to get those clerks. I haven't encountered any more "upsell" at Advantage that I haven't gotten at other agencies.

My more horrific experience was with a clerk at dollar who was a know it all, asked me specifics about my insurance and even made suggestions on my policy and deductibles, all to try to get me to purchase the extras. He kept me in that place over 45 minutes trying to convince me to buy the extras, total waste of time since I declined it all and I told him that from the getgo. Since then I always try to avoid dollar (going to thrifty instead) and if I do rent from dollar I will allow others to go to that clerk and will wait for another clerk instead.

Of course many of the major agencies have a "fast pass" type of program so you can skip the upsell.

But when I pick up my rental I usually go through the car with a fine toothed comb to list all dings and damage and anything wrong with the car so I won't get charged later. Haven't had any problems (knock on wood) being charged for damage or dings yet.

You are correct, seems I usually get at least one car upgrade using advantage, that's why I like going with them. I seldom get the automatic upgrade with other agencies in vegas (even national chains) unless I give them a "tip" or ask them if any are available or if my car size isn't available. But with the other agencies I usually get the upsell to go with the higher level car first because they don't have the car size I reserved.

It was great to pay for an economy car and get a camry for that price. Most agencies regard a camry as a "full sized" car. So funny from decades ago when the corolla was the "economy" car.

10. motownbob

motownbob High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I used them for my last trip in April . I was hesitant because I had never used them before . No issues , there was no wait at the counter , no upselling . The Camry I got had about 35 ,000 miles on it . It had a few scratches here and there , but drove fine . I think they may have a "less new " car than the other major players , but certainly not like the rental car I had in Aruba once with 110,000 miles on it ! Bob

11. dmr

dmr Registered Abuser

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like the jerk I had at Dollar a while back. Hard upsell. Claimed my Visa rental car insurance was no good and such.

12. Champster1

Champster1 VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Sounds like quite a few stories about dinged/scratched up cars at Advantage along with some rather lengthy waits. I have a mid sized booked with Dollar for October 7- 14 for 238 total. I always check the weeks before to see if price has gone down. Looked at advantage for my March Madness trip but prices were the same as dollar with no express option at advantage either!

Good thing is that you an book at either, check prices and go with the cheapest on game day. Keep in mind that with dollar express you have to have a credit card associated with your membership. If your flight cancels or you miss it then call them because the rental will hit your card before you land in vegas ( or was scheduled to land in Vegas)

13. MGinCO

MGinCO VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I currently have Dollar booked for $132 (midsize) which means I can go right to car, no waiting at counter.
    I also have Advantage for $106, same size, meaning I'd have to wait at counter, go thru clerk, up-sell, etc...

Might be worth the extra $26 just to stay with Dollar, eh?

14. makikiboy

makikiboy VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:

You have to understand that Advantage probably keeps cars longer than the national chains so your cars could be a little dinged up or scratch or have many miles on it (the car I rented had over 20k miles on it). I didn't wait very long in line when I was there on Aug 30 at 4:30 pm. Probably waited 5 mins before they got to me.

For many paying an extra $26 to bypass the counter is very worthwhile, to others the delay is just part of travelling. For myself I will spend a little more and avoid some of the fly by night agencies like Fox. While I would save a few bucks by taking fox I don't want to take the chance by going with them and having to take the extra shuttle to get to their facility, waiting in their lines with limited selection of cars, etc. All it takes is one incident and your trip could be memorable not in a good way.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.