1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Brady Freed!

Discussion in 'The Sports Book' started by Jjd234, Sep 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jjd234

Jjd234 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Tom Brady's Four game suspension has been nullified by the Federal Court Judge! the Pats win total over under will be going up. Go Pats!

2. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It's a good day in Patriot's Nation!

3. akhoya362

akhoya362 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here is the opinion, along the lines of what I've been saying so far -- Goodell abused the process.

4. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Hopefully the NFL just drops it. I moved months ago past caring what happened, and right now just want to stop reading about it.

Don't think they will though. Just like not settling, they really can't afford the precedent of cheating discipline being ultimately outside league hands.

5. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    It is interesting.

He skips all questions of guilt (since they aren't his to rule on anyway), and basically says "I accept the judgment that Brady did it, but you didn't provide any notice that this would be the penalty for what he did".

6. shifter

shifter Degenerate Gambler

Trips to Las Vegas:
    it's not about that.

this whole thing has been about Goodell trying to hold onto his dictatorship.

it won't be long now until the owners get tired of him and drop him.

7. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Bah, the whole thing has been about Goodell not wanting to appear soft on the Pats as he was perceived to be too close to Kraft. For the most part his 'dictatorship' has been what the owners wanted, which is why he has been paid outrageously to do it. The personal conduct suspensions have helped keep individual teams off the hook for disciplining/cutting their own players (until domestic violence).

Goodell is certainly not likely to survive that much longer.

And now having read the actual decision I don't think they will appeal. The judge made no issue of guilt or innocence and focused mainly on the lack of notice of this level of punishment. So I am assuming the nfl will lick their wounds, and seek to amend the next CBA to have some more explicit cheating and obstruction penalties included. And won't that be a fun fight.

8. vegasboundsoon

vegasboundsoon Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, still an unmitigated cheater

9. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Free at last! Free at last! Thank God almighty, free at last!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  10. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    So, still an unmitigated hater, LOL! [emoji8]
    https://vimeo.com/138217861
    [​IMG]

11. runningonthehub

runningonthehub VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Did the deflated footballs really have any effect on the outcome of the game? Or, was this just a witch hunt?
    A four game suspension seemed way out of line. This whole process was dragged out far too long. Glad to see that it is over.

12. Funkhouser

Funkhouser In Charge of the Big Door

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree. The league still has a right to force compliance with an investigation. Name any work place where you can refuse to submit potential evidence over and still expect to keep your job.
    If it was me telling my boss, I would not hand over any personal information regarding workplace misconduct they would fire my ass.

So basically I don't think the League lets this slide.

13. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Any workplace with a union workforce with collectively bargained rights and rules.

I don't really think deflation altered the outcome of the game. I also don't think cheating only matters if it alters the outcome.

And in the grand scheme of things I didn't find the penalty that big. But what the league can do is set by the CBA, and they never outlined or negotiated a penalty they could impose for either deflation or non cooperation, which is the basis of this ruling. I also think everyone on all sides has bungled this from the beginning. The NFL had leaks, including some with inaccuracies. Brady tried to laugh it off when no one was laughing, and then Kraft got so confrontational about it, it forced a 6 million dollar investigation. The media jumped all over it as a fresh new angle to cover, and everyone kept feeding them new stories.

In an ideal world, there would have been a story about a deflated ball, a mention that the league was looking into it, and then months later penalties for the league and a fine for Brady. The NFL AND the Pats should have been downplaying it. As much as it is cheating, it is cheating of a degree than many teams and players attempt in non just football but many sports.

14. akhoya362

akhoya362 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Here's the problem -- Judge Berman entered certain factual findings regarding the league's arbitration process (hence, a hearing). Those findings were central to his decision to vacate the arbitration award. Appellate courts generally give deference to the trial court by applying an abuse-of-discretion standard, and certainly give trial courts plenty of leeway when it comes to findings of fact. So whereas Brady had an uphill climb in convincing Judge Berman to vacate the arbitral award, the burden has now shifted -- it is the League that will have a very tough time trying to convince the Second Circuit to overrule the trial judge's decision.

15. Nevyn

Nevyn VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I agree.

Then again, if the league decided to not appeal, they could instead say that based on Berman's interpretation they have decided that a fine is a more appropriate penalty, and try to punish Brady again. If they decide to go face-saving instead of legal armageddon that would likely be the way to do it.

16. PayTriple

PayTriple VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Fixed it for you.

17. shokhead

shokhead No big spender unless eating drinking having fun!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Maybe you would hand over your phone but no employer would get my phone to look through.

18. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Goodell is a lawyer and should have known way better what he was opening up when he decided to act as he did against one of the, if not the, star player in his league.
    As he's done way too many times he's really painted himself in a corner wherein the anti-Kraft owners are pisssed at him and the union and some others are likewise not happy.
    Meanwhile another NFL player, Letroy Guidon, gets busted running 3/4 of a pound of weed, almost $200k and, let's not forget, the obligatory gun. What's his suspension?
    The books must love these "he's playing, no he's not" dramas as they try to set lines.

19. Irishkicker23

Irishkicker23 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    What Union are you in?

20. Irishkicker23

Irishkicker23 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I love when people say The Patriots get off easy again. People don't remember they won't have a draft pick in the first round next year for a farts worth of air in a football during a blowout.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.