1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Slots Slots

Discussion in 'Slots' started by Chicken Dinner, Jul 31, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chicken Dinner

Chicken Dinner Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Grid's recent trip report got me thinking. Usually, I'm a bar top VP and BJ player while watching a few sports bets lose. All about the drinks... The past couple trips I've been playing more slots. I always bet all the lines at either the lowest or second lowest denomination - so anywhere btw .75$ and 3.00$ a pull. I always play the newer games - I like the bonus games and the video graphics, good for my ADD, perhaps. So, I never play the older reel games. And I never sit for more than a few minutes at any game. Rarely will I lose a twenty in one machine at one sit down. Usually, I lose ten and I'm gone to the next. And If I win anything substantial - say more than 20$, I'm outta there too.
    Now, I know that there's no right way or wrong way to play slots. But am I doing it wrong...? Do people sit for long periods at one machine? I know people say to play higher denoms to reduce variance but I would be pissed if I blew my $400 a day bankroll in 15 minutes at a ten dollar a pull machine.

2. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no "right" or "wrong" way to play slots, IMHO, other than not putting the maximum bet in on a machine like the "Blazing 7's" machine in which the 1st coin enables bars, the 2nd coin enables 7's and the 3rd coin enables the jackpot.

IMHO, you are playing in a manner appropriate to your bankroll. You probably shouldn't be playing at bets above $1-2 regardless of the denomination.

3. FuzzyDiceCraps

FuzzyDiceCraps VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I'd agree with this. My wife plays slots purely for entertainment and free drinks. She has no issue with playing the lowest amount 40-50 cents, but will play that for 8-9 hours a day. She'll play games as long as they're "fun" or she's seeing bonuses/wins. Sometimes she'll play a game for 1-2 spins, others she'll chill for a while.

I have a completely different approach, if/when I play a slot I want to win, so like DaiLun said, I'm playing to activate bonuses and potentially win. I normally only play slots to join my wife, so my schedule is dictated by her, but I'm almost always on max bet.

My wife and I have very different risk tolerances however. Ultimately, play in a manner you enjoy and that you feel comfortable with. If you're risking amounts outside your comfort zone, you'll never enjoy yourself, even if you get the most enjoyable bonuses and video triggers, because you're too stressed out to enjoy yourself.

4. jamesxnj

jamesxnj VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I think you're not giving the machine a decent enough chance to hit a bonus..I'm guessing you do not approach a VP machine like this or you would be moving around a lot and that is not always doable playing bartops..I'd just say imo.give each machine a little more play and if it gets a little hot stay for a few more spins..
    And no way start doing $10 spins..
    Have a great trip.hope you hit something decent!

5. cphllps

cphllps High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play slots for the fun not expecting to win big. I will give a machine 5 or 6 spins and if I haven't gotten anything then I am outta there and on to the next. I usually put a $20 in the machine and if I am getting play off of it I will keep playing. If I hit a bonus and win more than $20, I cash out and go redeem the ticket. I then keep the original $20 and put the winnings in my purse and then just keep repeating. In May at Harrah's there was a large bank of machines in an oval kitty corner to the piano bar. I won on every different slot and when we got back to the room and I counted my winnings, I was up $500.

6. tringlomane

tringlomane STP Addicted Beer Snob

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most newer penny slots have the same expected return percentage no matter what bet size you choose on the machine (unlike video poker's 5 coin royal bonus), and it's legally mandated to be random at all times, so play however you want. Some days you'll hit those bonuses frequently and quickly, and some days you won't. Sitting there for an hour versus 5 minutes won't all of a sudden make the machine pay more. And higher denominations may slightly reduce the house edge percentage (but will heavily increase coin-in and expected loss), but they don't reduce variance in terms of dollars...they increase variance!

7. LV_Bound

LV_Bound VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Most sessions are 15-20 minutes but some of the slots can keep me entertained for a long time and even more than an hour or two at a time.
    Some slots just don't do it for me and may only be a few minutes or even 2-3 spins.

With slots its best to play for the entertainment.

8. zing

zing Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play penny slots pretty much exactly the way OP described. I've often wondered if playing "max bet" would give me a better payout percentage, but my bankroll can't really handle that anyway.

9. eksantirik

eksantirik High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    There is no such thing as a hot or cold machine (unless the progressive bonus hits a certain level and makes the machine 100%+ payoff). Under normal circumstances, each spin has the same odds for bonus round hitting. You can hit the bonus on the first spin, or you can spin 1 million times and yet see no bonus. It's all statistics and probability.

10. nhcris

nhcris VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    For me it depends on the volatility of a machine. I will give certain machines that have the potential for a BIG win much more time and effort than a low volatility machine that frequently spits back 20-30% of my bet.

ZIng, generally your percentage doesn't change by bet size, and if you get into a bad streak max betting can wipe out a moderate bankroll in a flash. Keep in mind though that max bets can vary from $1.25 or so to $5, $10, $50, or more dollars depending on denomination. You have to play according to your bankroll if yu want to play for any length of time at all.

11. DonnyC

DonnyC VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    As someone else noted...that's false thinking.

Watch this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Wkubf1PrWg

Also if you watch youtube vids of people playing slots like "Vegas low roller" you will see that sometimes he hit bonuses right away, other times...not at all.

12. sindustry

sindustry VIP Whale

And sometimes the bonuses come back to back...

http://youtu.be/ZgRFL4kvWS4

13. flyguyfl

flyguyfl MIA

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I play slots ever so often and the one thing I do is read the rules of any game I am not familiar with. That way you know those that won't pay big unless you bet the max (like Quick Hit). Since a random number generator actually controls the result, there is little else you can control. Some slots don't accrue slots points as fast as others, so that is another consideration.
    I find that the older reel types that don't have all the bells and whistles and fancy graphics pay better but are being phased out for the more "entertaining" ones that offer bonuses, etc.

14. pphold

pphold pp Park Place Degenerate

Trips to Las Vegas:
    that is freaking great back to back

15. bshowell

bshowell VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I pretty much play the same as OP. If I like it and it's doing well then I stay. If I'm bored then I leave.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.