1. Welcome to VegasMessageBoard
    It appears you are visiting our community as a guest.
    In order to view full-size images, participate in discussions, vote in polls, etc, you will need to Log in or Register.

Driving from LA to Vegas - any tips?

Discussion in 'Getting There & Getting Around' started by AndrewJ, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AndrewJ

AndrewJ Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I will be driving to Vegas from LA in March with teenage kids. Anything cool or fun to see along the way? Any other tips to make the drive as smooth and painless as possible?

2. Iceicecool

Iceicecool Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Don't drive there on a Friday and don't come home on a Sunday.

3. SDSteve

SDSteve Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or if you do, go early!

4. Aces and Eights

Aces and Eights VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    You can rent a U-Haul truck and put the teenagers in the back. JK. There's really not much to see. When I drive, I make one restroom stop off of East Main Street just before I40. Maybe I'll get a little snack. It's the place after you make a right off the 15 and on the left side one or two lights. I think it's also a bus stop, but they have a food court including McD's.

5. grosx2

grosx2 Have fun storming the castle!

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Having recently moved from Chicago to so cal, I just made the drive for the first (and last) time this past weekend. Drove out on a Friday afternoon, not bad at all. Was on the road before two, beat most of the traffic, got there in under 5 hours.

Driving home is a different story. Stayed til Monday to avoid Sunday traffic, still took over 6 hours to get home, all while feeling the effects of a three day bender.

From now on, we'll be flying.

6. Packer Backer

Packer Backer Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    the traffic on the drive home to LA now seems to always be backing up at Stateline and it doesn't seem to matter what day it is...

Stop at the In and Out Burger in Barstow if your hungry. Gotta be the biggest In and Out I have ever seen.

7. DaiLun

DaiLun R.C., L.C., and A.A.N.G.

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Or, eat a Peggy Sue's Diner. The Mad Greek is OK as well if you're into Gyros.

8. NativeSoCal

NativeSoCal Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    That's the smartest thing I've read all day.

We're SoCal natives, and haven't driven to Vegas in years.
    That drive is a real drag.
    Fly, fly, fly!!

(we do drive to Laughlin on occasion, usually midweek, but once you get on the I-40, it's wide open and a breeze.

9. Malibugolfer

Malibugolfer High-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I've been driving it since the late 60's when Jimmy Durante kicked the bucket in "Mad Mad Mad World." I would never take a chance on an after 11 AM Friday depart nor an after 9 AM Sunday return.
    "L.A." is huge and there are a variety of routes but none offer much entertainment or diversion for kids. Barstow is about 1/2 way for planning perspectives. You are not in Nevada until about 35 miles from the strip.
    Drive keeping up with the majority of traffic which may be going faster than you are used to.
    Where will your trip originate from?

10. jon95616

jon95616 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
  11. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I guess I've done that drive too many times to think anything in the netherworld in the middle warrants a stop. If Primm was in the middle not 30-plus minutes out I could see that. Just get er done. (OK, outdoorsies would like Afton Canyon or the dunes, the preserve, but most of that takes time and is off the beaten path. Re-open Mitchell Cavens, dammit!!)

12. SDSteve

SDSteve Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Agreed. The faster I can make it the better!

13. ken2v

ken2v This Space For Rent

Trips to Las Vegas:
    Man, our drive to Vegas now is just a pain. Certainly glad to be out of So Cal but there's just no painless or quick way to get to Vegas from here. Oh well, a minor inconvenience for the lifestyle advantages here.

If you're not doing at least 85 on the 15, you're a road hazard! lol

14. JSR1968

JSR1968 Low-Roller

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I dont think there is much worth seeing for kids with the exception of the roller coaster at the state line.

I cannot stress enough the importance of an early departure on ANY day you are driving either way in my opinion.

15. Coupee36

Coupee36 Tourist

Trips to Las Vegas:
    I drive from OC (newport) to Vegas often. But rarely do I drive solo, usually with one other person. My only tip is, to leave early early morning or late late evening, TO and BACK from Vegas.

16. JWBlue

JWBlue VIP Whale

Trips to Las Vegas:
    +1 with Alien Fresh Jerky.

Great almonds and jerky. They must have the biggest selection of jerky anywhere. My guess would be 30-40 types of meat jerky and each one with different flavors. Highly recommend the roasted almonds.

If a stopover is needed, in Barstow the Country Inn & Suites By Carlson is the most comfortable motel I have stayed in. It opened a few years ago but it still looks brand new. Great complimentary breakfast and pleasant staff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.